Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peckham Town FC - news and discussion

Report is up.

"With this Cup exit comes renewed attention on the League; it’s hard to know, given League position isn’t the only determinant of promotion, what might be the requirement for Peckham to move up next Summer."

The first requirement will be floodlights. That ground simply won't stage SCEFL football until it gets floodlights, regardless of how nice it looks compared to some grounds already in use at that level.

PTFC will know exactly what the requirements are, as the club was encouraged by the Kent County League to submit a futile application for promotion a couple of years ago in order to avoid the embarrassment (to the league) of not offering any promotion candidate. All the necessary improvements will have been highlighted by the FA when the club was inevitably rejected. PTFC subsequently published a document outlining a programme of planned improvements, which must have been linked somewhere in the depths this thread, but I can't remember whether it included floodlights.

"With this Cup exit comes renewed attention on the League; it’s hard to know, given League position isn’t the only determinant of promotion, what might be the requirement for Peckham to move up next Summer."

The first requirement will be floodlights. That ground simply won't stage SCEFL football until it gets floodlights, regardless of how nice it looks compared to some grounds already in use at that level.

PTFC will know exactly what the requirements are, as the club was encouraged by the Kent County League to submit a futile application for promotion a couple of years ago in order to avoid the embarrassment (to the league) of not offering any promotion candidate. All the necessary improvements will have been highlighted by the FA when the club was inevitably rejected. PTFC subsequently published a document outlining a programme of planned improvements, which must have been linked somewhere in the depths this thread, but I can't remember whether it included floodlights.
Last time this came up, I thought the verdict was that their landlord is never going to agree to floodlights, so Peckham are at Kent County level forever, unless they find another ground, which there isn't.
(sorry, interested observer, rather than someone who knows anything about the club!)

Last time this came up, I thought the verdict was that their landlord is never going to agree to floodlights, so Peckham are at Kent County level forever, unless they find another ground, which there isn't.
(sorry, interested observer, rather than someone who knows anything about the club!)
Just found this relevant article:

Planning permission for floodlights was given by Southwark Council but approval hadn't been given by Dulwich Estates (the freeholder) which is some sort of centuries old charitable trust that owns far too much land and property around Dulwich, and has an unhealthy level of power and influence over what anyone else can do with it.

I meant more it’s hard to know what other clubs are up to. Like, say we finish fourth, would any of the ones above us be able to go up? Would they have plans in place we don’t know about, a ground share in place we don’t know about etc etc.

I meant more it’s hard to know what other clubs are up to. Like, say we finish fourth, would any of the ones above us be able to go up? Would they have plans in place we don’t know about, a ground share in place we don’t know about etc etc.
The current top 3 have opened up a bit of a gap and two of them now appear to have the use of a suitable ground. Halls are using the Erith Leisure Centre, where Erith Town used to play before moving to Thamesmead, and Chipstead are sharing at Sevenoaks Town, so it looks like those two are ambitious to join the SCEFL. Looking further down the table, Ashford (Hythe Town) and Bermondsey Town (Fisher) obviously have the necessary ground grading too, given their ground shares.

Last edited:
Still a lot of guesswork though isn’t it. Feasibly you could play the last game of the season, finish say fourth, and yet not know if that was enough. Which would be quite a weird feeling. Like having to wait for the Austrian-Germany result (one for the teenagers).

Still a lot of guesswork though isn’t it. Feasibly you could play the last game of the season, finish say fourth, and yet not know if that was enough. Which would be quite a weird feeling. Like having to wait for the Austrian-Germany result (one for the teenagers).
I'm not aware of all the dates concerned but, as I understand it, clubs hoping to achieve promotion to the National League System have to declare their interest well before the end of the current season (as Peckham did in 21/22) and those who don't already have a grading will be inspected by the FA. They will then have a time frame to secure the required grading, either by making improvements to the current ground or securing a suitable alternative. I'm fairly sure the FA releases a definitive list of who can and cannot be promoted before the final fixtures are completed.

“Before the last day” isn’t that much use though. I mean, it is. But really you want to know through the season what your target is.

Edit to add… I totally accept that there are good reasons for it being the way it is. And if you want to go up there’s a sure fire way of doing that within your control which is winning the league (and getting your off pitch stuff sorted). But it is just a bit annoying to be sat here not knowing what position will be good enough to go up (if you’re sorted off the pitch) and which teams you can’t have finishing ahead of you.

Last edited:
Pics!

In photos: Peckham Town out of the London Senior Cup after penalty shoot out with Clapton FC, Sat 7th Oct 2023

In photos: Peckham Town out of the London Senior Cup after penalty shoot out with Clapton FC, Sat 7th Oct 2023

“Before the last day” isn’t that much use though. I mean, it is. But really you want to know through the season what your target is.

Edit to add… I totally accept that there are good reasons for it being the way it is. And if you want to go up there’s a sure fire way of doing that within your control which is winning the league (and getting your off pitch stuff sorted). But it is just a bit annoying to be sat here not knowing what position will be good enough to go up (if you’re sorted off the pitch) and which teams you can’t have finishing ahead of you.
Is that really much different to all the other leagues with promotion play-offs? In those leagues you can finish 2nd and miss out, or you can finish 5th (or 7th in the National League) and you still don't know whether you've done enough until after the regular league fixtures are completed. At least if your ground is compliant you can't miss out to someone who finishes below in this league, and if someone above has failed on their ground grading it's a bonus.

Of the potential scenarios:
  • Start the season knowing exactly which position gets you what outcome (most higher leagues)
  • Start the season knowing what position gets you what outcome as long as teams xyz don’t finish ahead of you (some lower leagues where plans are known to all in advance)
  • Start the season not knowing what position or relative finish versus teams xyz gets you what outcome (us and lots of other leagues)
I’d say the third is very different to the first.

To me, you’re equating an end of season outcome with a non end of season outcome (which finishing in a playoff is). Which isn’t the same.

Ide Hill sharing at Tonbridge, Minster are at Ramsgate and Kent United at Kent Football United's old ground (but not sure if it's still up to scratch), so another three there you would expect are looking to go up this season.

We will know in January who is applying as deadline is end of December. We will then know who is eligible by end of March with ground grading complete.

If the league above had 20 teams, then promotion would still be tough as only one is relegated, but SCEFL 1 has vacancies, so likely will see several promoted. However, to be promoted from Step 7, then a team must finish at least top 5.

In most other parts of the country, then there is usually more than one Step 7 league feeding into a Step 6, and you could feasibly win a Step 7 league, but not go up on PPG. That's not the case with Kent League, as there are no other Step 7 leagues that feed SCEFL 1. Although there might be a case for Southern Combination Div 2 team. Peckham could also be elevated to Combined Counties, depending on balance of teams.

The Kent League is considering splitting the Prem into a west and east division next season to reduce travel, so PPG could come into it in 24/25.

Finally, floodlights don't need to be installed by March to be eligible, but permissions and funding need to be in place. Delivery of floodlights need to be complete by end of September of season of entering Step 6.

Last edited:
That's five goals scored in second half injury time in twelve games now. Now this is partly due to the extra long added time we get, but I think a lot of credit has to go to the team for pushing right to the end. Three out of five have changed the result to a draw or a win, while two have added gloss. Particularly sweet tonight as the winner was scored in Bermondsey fake cramp time after they grabbed an underserved equaliser in the 89th minute.

Great to get a win with Elton (left back) in goal. Not the first time he has deputised ably at the back either.

Fantastic turnout at the match too. About 60 Menace fans I reckon, 30 neutral and 5 for Bermondsey.

Last night felt like the glory away days of Hamlet from a decade or so ago. A small evening crowd entirely dominated by Peckham fans, entertaining football all night from a team giving their all, wrapped up by a last minute winning goal - plus a bunch of players who are always quick to thank fans for showing up to support them. Fan-bloody-tastic!

Last night felt like the glory away days of Hamlet from a decade or so ago. A small evening crowd entirely dominated by Peckham fans, entertaining football all night from a team giving their all, wrapped up by a last minute winning goal - plus a bunch of players who are always quick to thank fans for showing up to support them. Fan-bloody-tastic!
You forgot “and a pitch-invading chairman”.

Pics!

1697030932067.png
How on earth is their keeper allowed to wear that shirt? It seems to be increasingly common for a keeper to wear the same colour shirt as the opposition outfield players. I really can't explain just how much this annoys me! It simply never used to happen, and wasn't allowed to.

How on earth is their keeper allowed to wear that shirt? It seems to be increasingly common for a keeper to wear the same colour shirt as the opposition outfield players. I really can't explain just how much this annoys me! It simply never used to happen, and wasn't allowed to.
Yeah, we wondered too.
Maybe he got a pass as he used to play for Peckham...

With the standard of referees I’ve encountered of late there’s no way I’d want to wear the same GK as my defenders. Even allowing for pretty distinctive gloves 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍⚧️ I can see a myopic official giving a handball against a keeper in their own box.

Back
Top Bottom