Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paris burns after police murder youth

Copycat riots. The govt rhetoric never changes.
Or the police's. And, bizarrely, here we are again.
Aux armes, citoyens !

'The teenagers flatly said their daily lives had little to do with the minister’s vision of France — a nation ostensibly secular, colorblind and of equal opportunity.

When the minister started singing the national anthem, “La Marseillaise,” some refused. “I’ll never sing it,” one young woman in a Muslim veil told her.'

All year long we’re pummeled with words about the thousand threats that surround us: terrorists, migrants, endocrine disruptor, fascism, unemployment. In this way the unshakeable routine of capitalist normality is perpetuated—against a background of a thousand failed conspiracies, a hundred averted catastrophes. As to the pallid anxiety which they try, day after day, to implant in our heads, by way of armed military patrols, breaking news, and governmental announcements, one has to credit riots with the paradoxical virtue of freeing us from it.

This is something that the lovers of those funeral processions called “demonstrations,” all those who taste, over a glass of rouge, the bitter enjoyment of always being defeated, all those who give out a flatulent “Or else it’s going to blow up!” before they prudently climb back into their bus, cannot understand. In a street confrontation, the enemy has a well-defined face, whether he’s in civilian clothes or in armor. He has methods that are largely known. He has a name and a function. In fact, he’s a “civil servant,” as he soberly declares.

The friend, too, has gestures, movements, and an appearance that are recognizable. In the riot there is an incandescent presence to oneself and to others, a lucid fraternity which the Republic is quite incapable of generating.

The organized riot is capable of producing what this society cannot create: lively and irreversible bonds. Those who dwell on images of violence miss everything that’s involved in the fact of taking the risk together of breaking, of tagging, of confronting the cops. One never comes out of one’s first riot unchanged. It’s this positivity of the riot that the spectators prefer not to see and that frightens them more deeply than the damage, the charges and counter-charges. In the riot there is a production and affirmation of friendships, a focused configuration of the world, clear possibilities of action, means close at hand. The situation has a form and one can move within it.

The risks are sharply defined, unlike those
nebulous “risks” that the governing authorities like to hang over our existences. The riot is desirable as a moment of truth. It is a momentary suspension of the confusion. In the tear gas, things are curiously clear
and the real is finally legible.

From "Now" by the Invisible Committee, published in France in 2017.

---

i like their writing style and think it offers an insight into a more universal (or at leash, quite French!) truth about rioting which is true beyond the anarcho-insurrectionalist current, including this week's events

When the minister started singing the national anthem, “La Marseillaise,” some refused. “I’ll never sing it,” one young woman in a Muslim veil told her.'

No I just like the irony of having a national anthem that says 'aux armes citoyens!' but when they actually do, it's all "oh but this is terrible, I blame the parents!"

from 2005 -spot the differences with today
In 1990 I was sharing a flat in east London with a Marseillais of Algerian descent. Nothing much has changed in France or the UK in that time. Let it burn.

Informative thread which gives some context to what is happening as a result of this execution:

Back
Top Bottom