Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Parents gather outside Birmingham school to protest against gay teacher

Is the Birmingham Left/lGBT activists planning any sort of counter protest?

btw, very revealing that this issue has only has under 1500 views, in any other context, the viewership would be huge

Homosexuality is much less accepted in Islam.
Not entirely sure about that. I remember there being a pretty strong gay culture in Morocco when I used to visit twenty odd years ago. At the time it seemed more out than many european/ uk places.

Not entirely sure about that. I remember there being a pretty strong gay culture in Morocco when I used to visit twenty odd years ago. At the time it seemed more out than many european/ uk places.

Islam is a lot more heterogeneous than it is often thought of by some (not talking about the Urban crowd tbf). Considering there are *loads* of Muslims from a bunch of cultural traditions in a load of different places, you can’t really expect such a diverse bunch to live up to a British tabloid stereotype, really.

Islam is a lot more heterogeneous than it is often thought of by some (not talking about the Urban crowd tbf). Considering there are *loads* of Muslims from a bunch of cultural traditions in a load of different places, you can’t really expect such a diverse bunch to live up to a British tabloid stereotype, really.

Precisely, it really pisses me off when massive assumptions are made like, "muslims don't drink" when I know loads who do. It is like saying catholics don't use contraceptives when of course many do. You end up pandering to the extremists and denying the religion of people who are doing what has been done for ever, which is taking a realistic approach to law and religion.

Precisely, it really pisses me off when massive assumptions are made like, "muslims don't drink" when I know loads who do.

I know a couple of Muslims who drink, but very modestly. As in two glasses of wine and that's it, even at a party (actually I think it's only special occasions* where they'll partake at all). My understanding is that the earliest edicts were about turning up to Friday prayers intoxicated, then more were added about public intoxication generally and it went from there, and different traditions and cultures settle at different points on that spectrum.

Some Christians do similar.

* - not my interpretation of a special occasion, such as it being a rainy day, or a sunny day, or night time...

Homosexuality is much less accepted in Islam. At my kids primary there was serious misgivings about this ‘many shaped families’ message. Liberal ideology promotes multiculturalism but doesn’t have answers for when those cultures have different concepts of morality.
Your post comes across a bit like "too may foreigners ruining our cultural norms". Have i miseread your post?
I dont see this as an issue of multiculturalism, i see it as religious orthodox dicks being a pain. UK and Ireland have a rich seem of religious zealots going back hundreds of years, exported to boot - fucking up swathes of the world, with plenty still about, still acting this way.
And there is an answer to these people: the law.

Last edited:
Gay sex is illegal in Morocco and carries a term of three years in prison. They are more likely to turn a blind eye there than in more hard-line Muslim countries and there are all sorts of tales of what the gay jet set got up to there in the 70s, but it's still a homophobic country.

On Friday about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day, parents said. The school would not confirm the number.

From this it sounds like I was wrong and the majority of parents are backing the protests - which is depressing.

Yes, similar tale in Turkey. While it's not illegal to be gay or have gay sex, homophobia and discrimination are rife, and getting worse as the country becomes more religious.
I have a gay Turkish friend who has recently left Istanbul so he could marry his partner here in Berlin, mainly to eventually gain citizenship. It's all getting too scary there if you are gay.

Last edited:
Labour MP Shabana Mahmood coming under criticism from CEMB. It does sound misleading for her to claim that there hadn’t been consultation with parents.

Back
Top Bottom