Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Parents gather outside Birmingham school to protest against gay teacher

In most cases I've seen, it is down to a difference of breaking down "are" vs "do".

Nope. You can be the most perfectly behaved human being on the face of the planet, but you would still have a sinful nature.

Nope. You can be the most perfectly behaved human being on the face of the planet, but you would still have a sinful nature.

Yeah, but *everyone* (in Christianity, at least) has a sinful nature.

And in Islam, to my understanding, *all* sin is down to what you *do*.

Exactly, that's the problem.

You might want to read the edit to my post above and also bear in mind that we're not talking about Christians in this thread.
But the "are vs. do" thing would not make sense for either group if they were protesting in a similar manner.

There is already a thread about this situation started a couple of weeks (?) ago.

Worth mentioning the issue the parents have is not with the fact that the teacher is gay, it's with a new programme he's introduced.
Hmmm. I've not seen the content of his classes, but I'll wager he isn't going around telling kids to be gay. He's simply spreading a message that it's ok to be gay, and perhaps using himself as an example. So I'd dispute that really, especially when they are turning up with banners saying 'my child my choice' and 'no Islamophobia'. Presumably the logic behind the latter is that 'Islam says homosexuality is wrong; this teacher is teaching that homosexuality is ok; therefore this teacher is teaching kids that Islam is wrong'. So what, they don't have a problem with him being gay, except that he's a pervert and against God.

As others have said, it is perhaps ok for them if he's gay but only if he keeps his perversion to himself. Very big of them, I'm sure. If he's out and proud, they have a problem.

You might want to read the edit to my post above and also bear in mind that we're not talking about Christians in this thread.
But the "are vs. do" thing would not make sense for either group if they were protesting in a similar manner.

Genesis is part of the Muslim creation story and Man's actions due to his nature got him kicked out of the Garden of Eden, no?

Hmmm. I've not seen the content of his classes, but I'll wager he isn't going around telling kids to be gay. He's simply spreading a message that it's ok to be gay, and perhaps using himself as an example. So I'd dispute that really, especially when they are turning up with banners saying 'my child my choice' and 'no Islamophobia'. Presumably the logic behind the latter is that 'Islam says homosexuality is wrong; this teacher is teaching that homosexuality is ok; therefore this teacher is teaching kids that Islam is wrong'. So what, they don't have a problem with him being gay, except that he's a pervert and against God.

As others have said, it is perhaps ok for them if he's gay but only if he keeps his perversion to himself. Very big of them, I'm sure. If he's out and proud, they have a problem.
I've read the original story and the original thread, so I have a pretty good idea about the content of the programme which appears to be the source of the problem.

There seem to be some pretty significant assumptions being made on this thread, based mostly on the fact that many/most of the parents are Muslim.

I've read the original story and the original thread, so I have a pretty good idea about the content of the programme which appears to be the source of the problem.

There seem to be some pretty significant assumptions being made on this thread, based mostly on the fact that many/most of the parents are Muslim.
Meh. I doubt you'd be taking that line if this was someone like Mary Whitehouse with a bunch of Christians outside the door. At least some are accusing this teacher of Islamophobia. Why might that be, do you think?

Meh. I doubt you'd be taking that line if this was someone like Mary Whitehouse with a bunch of Christians outside the door. At least some are accusing this teacher of Islamophobia. Why might that be, do you think?
But it isn't Mary Whitehouse, so not sure why you've chosen to bring her into it.

Anyway, thread can carry on quite happily without me, I'm sure

I think most parents, including most Muslim parents, at the school have backed him though this doesn’t really come across from the media coverage.

No, it certainly doesn't.
There is also a willing conflation of the proportion of Muslim families in the area vs. the proportion of families opposing this teaching.

It's hard to get a good idea of the balance of things from this kind of coverage, but one thing I like to consider when pondering how broad-based and "organic" a protest is: "are most/all of the banners in the same font / handwriting?".

The reporting of this hasn’t been great but I expect Islamists will have been involved in organising the protests and what are they if not religious right?

Well, if you take a sub-section of a sub-section and then apply it to one thing that some people are doing, you could argue that, but it feels like a bit of a stretch.

I’m not sure I follow. Is it that you don’t see Islamists as being on the right, or that you don’t see these protests as being primarily organised by Islamists?

Last edited:
I’m not sure I follow. Is it that you don’t see Islamists as being on the right, or that you don’t these protests as being primarily organised by Islamists?

I don't know whether they are primarily organised by Islamists - that was your contention.

I don't know whether they are primarily organised by Islamists - that was your contention.

Fair enough. I’m not certain about this and my assumptions may be wrong. One of the problems I have with the media coverage is a lack of questioning about how the campaign came to be organised and what people’s agendas are.

Fair enough. I’m not certain about this and my assumptions may be wrong. One of the problems I have with the media coverage is a lack of questioning about how the campaign came to be organised and what people’s agendas are.

Yeah, it's pretty patchy and "tropey" tbf. And with no detail about particular specific objections, which implies that there aren't any to some, and could imply that there is an "Advanced Fisting" module in year 3 to others.

There is a little bit of context in an older article here, but it doesn't directly clear up what we have been discussing.

Change the accents, the colour of the faces and the name of the religion and any of the ideas on display would slot right into Trump's rallies.

They seem to have had some Christian support.
We contend that Christian Voice did more for community relations this morning than any amount of gay indoctrination. This ministry put aside faith differences to support the parents and help protect their children. Furthermore, we promised to help the parents put an action plan together. Above all, we showed that not all British people accept the rampant secularism of the British Establishment and corrupt indoctrination like No Outsiders.

Extremist nutjobs, Christian Voice, in the opinion of most Christians let alone anyone else.

There was a tie in between Christian Voice (or whatever it was called at the time..) and some local 'community leaders' when I lived in Brum (as a filthy, idle student) in the mid-90's.

Same suit, different cuff-links.

Back
Top Bottom