Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pandemic personal consequences

Niece has brittle asthma and severe allergies so can’t have vaccinations
My sister just got pinged to isolate on the App.
Terrifying stuff, kept everyone safe for the duration of 20-21 and now scared she is going to make her daughter seriously ill

PCR on all of them negative today TFFT

Shit situation

From what I remember you also work in IT? One of the ironies of my situation being that mine is the team that looks after the remote working system amongst other things, and a month after I joined the company pandemic happened and we had to scale up the capacity of the remote working system by three orders of magnitude...
Yah, well, in web dev. I had been working with international teams and contractors for a few years before the start of it all and developed very specific principles of when and how remote working was good and when and how it wasn't and how projects could be structured to best fit all the different requirements, which nobody paid attention to then and nobody pays attention to now. 🤷‍♂️ I don't see any more of a sane approach to it even after over a year of people having to deal with the differences.

Niece has brittle asthma and severe allergies so can’t have vaccinations
My sister just got pinged to isolate on the App.
Terrifying stuff, kept everyone safe for the duration of 20-21 and now scared she is going to make her daughter seriously ill

PCR on all of them negative today TFFT

Shit situation

Has the niece's doctor told them that? Asthma, even brittle asthma, isn't a contraindication, and neither are most allergies.

Has the niece's doctor told them that? Asthma, even brittle asthma, isn't a contraindication, and neither are most allergies.

I'm pretty allergic and they took a long time to decide to give me a vaccine..they literally had epipens at the ready and a stretcher when I got my vaccine.
But it is a risk for some. I made the final decision though.
And sadly it looks like the vaccines didnt take for me. Am waiting for boosters to come along in a couple of months...or 6 months more like.

I'm pretty allergic and they took a long time to decide to give me a vaccine..they literally had epipens at the ready and a stretcher when I got my vaccine.
But it is a risk for some. I made the final decision though.
And sadly it looks like the vaccines didnt take for me. Am waiting for boosters to come along in a couple of months...or 6 months more like.

Yeah, there definitely are some people who are either iffy for the vaccine or absolutely can't take it. Bella's niece might be one of those, or they might have got some scary information that made them refuse the vaccine (asthma definitely is not a contraindication). I think, before accepting that you need to stay home and live in fear, you should make double-plus sure that you can't be vaccinated.

I'm sorry it didn't take for you - you did an antibody test, didn't you? But at least you know you didn't have a reaction.

Yeah, there definitely are some people who are either iffy for the vaccine or absolutely can't take it. Bella's niece might be one of those, or they might have got some scary information that made them refuse the vaccine (asthma definitely is not a contraindication). I think, before accepting that you need to stay home and live in fear, you should make double-plus sure that you can't be vaccinated.

I'm sorry it didn't take for you - you did an antibody test, didn't you? But at least you know you didn't have a reaction.

I had a mild initial reaction but since the second vaccine I've had extreme night sweats and neutrophils are gone very low. Like lower than nornal for me even in immunosuppressants.
I cant say that's the vaccine. But I link it to then. It is probably coincidence.

Sorry to hear that Part 2, it's shite isn't it :( We were supposed to be at my sister in law's in Cardiff this weekend, for the first full family get together in nearly 2 years. Niece tested positive on Thursday. I had kind of expected it, but it still really sucks.
They're due to fly to Berlin on the 10th. She's off to study there and has an appointment to get her visa on Tuesday that she's been waiting ages for because the embassy was closed due to covid. :(

My parents have caught Covid, they've been feeling unwell but not bad enough to go to hospital. Given that they are 86 and 83 I am definitely going to mark this down as a major success for the vaccination program (both double jabbed ages ago)
My sister reckons that since they never go anywhere anyway that isolating is not going to be an issue for them.

My parents have caught Covid, they've been feeling unwell but not bad enough to go to hospital. Given that they are 86 and 83 I am definitely going to mark this down as a major success for the vaccination program (both double jabbed ages ago)
My sister reckons that since they never go anywhere anyway that isolating is not going to be an issue for them.
Good luck to the old darlings, hope they're recovered soon.

Just found out this week that OH's cousin (68, asthmatic, former heavy smoker) and a friend (pretty severe underlying condition) have both had Covid.

Both recovering and OH's cousin was not ill enough to be hospitalised. Like you, MickiQ I am marking this down as a major success for the vaccine. I dread to think how they might both have ended up otherwise.

Hope your parents are OK.

Pretty sure it's not going to be worth booking for any indoor events between November and March now. Which is kind of all events. :(

Went to a little International Peace festival on Sunday and some friends or friends were playing in a band. I was chatting to the drummer outside and told him that Iwasn't sure about going indoors to watch a band and he said he wasn't all that happy either. :D

Decided not to chance it and went home.

How the hell are we going to make sure this winter isn't as shit as the last one? :(

accompanied mum-tat to / from a minor operation at kings' today.

as i wasn't allowed to wait in the place with her, this meant i had a couple of hours in downtown camberwell.

thinking about it, this was the first time i've had a sit down cafe meal, or indulges in any street photography, since all this nonsense started...

Feeling pretty rubbish today but like a cold more than anything, got bellyache and occasional temperature and minor headache. No noticeable change to my smell or taste and rarely coughing, a few sneezes. Done a PCR test just waiting for the results.

Hopefully they'll come tomorrow, I'm fed up with staying in already.

Last edited:
accompanied mum-tat to / from a minor operation at kings' today.

as i wasn't allowed to wait in the place with her, this meant i had a couple of hours in downtown camberwell.

thinking about it, this was the first time i've had a sit down cafe meal, or indulges in any street photography, since all this nonsense started...
rock steady eddie's?

Daughter has split up with her boyfriend in Shanghai, They had been together in China a year but haven't seen each other since new year 2020 because of COVID here and there. They couldn't hack the not knowing how much longer they would be apart. Mutual but both are heartbroken, I.m sad too for her, and I really liked him.

Daughter has split up with her boyfriend in Shanghai, They had been together in China a year but haven't seen each other since new year 2020 because of COVID here and there. They couldn't hack the not knowing how much longer they would be apart. Mutual but both are heartbroken, I.m sad too for her, and I really liked him.

Your poor daughter. 💖

have started new job today - it's going to be fully office based for at least the first month or two.

office is a modern sealed box with no opening windows.

lots of corporate stuff about mask wearing, social distancing, arrows on floors and that sort of thing, and nobody seems to be taking any notice of any of it. one of today's training things meant sitting at a fairly narrow desk opposite someone else.

is this what's generally expected now?

i've had both vaccines, but aware that overweight 50+ blokes are a medium risk group.

i'm not comfortable with this, or the train commute (fairly lightly loaded train going in, full and standing for the first few stops out of london this evening)

snag is if i do walk away from this and have a few months off, not sure how the heck i'm going to explain that to any potential future employer, there really aren't that many jobs doing the sort of stuff i do, and at my age, it could well be at best involuntary semi-retirement.

bugger.

Back
Top Bottom