Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pandemic personal consequences

I am really very cross indeed.

I'm self-isolating because a housemate has symptoms and two positive antigen tests. That can't be helped.

But their partner, who also lives here, just returned home from a test centre with several bags of shopping. They went for a PCR test and then immediately went grocery shopping, in person, and were surprised at the idea that they should have come straight home and ordered whatever online.

We are doomed.
Earlier on in lockdown, I was in the shop round the corner. The bloke in front of me was cheerfully telling the shop assistant that he had popped in to stock up on baccy as he had symptoms and was on his way to get tested. :facepalm: :mad:

So we've got theatre tickets in September and October - I kind of feel like there's this 'sweet spot' of Going Out to Things Sept-Oct after which point shit is likely to go downhill again unless it turns out that enough people have had Delta/been jabbed that it doesn't spike over the winter, but I wouldn't bank on that.

There's a gig I'd like to book early November (Jane Weaver) and I probably will seeing as tickets aren't pricey.

I think I've got to this slightly selfish point where it's like 'Fuck it, I'll risk getting while stuff is still open it so I can do some shit when I haven't got any big things like holidays coming up'

I think I've got to this slightly selfish point where it's like 'Fuck it, I'll risk getting while stuff is still open it so I can do some shit when I haven't got any big things like holidays coming up'
I wish I had gone out and done more shit last year when I was able to. I don't think there will be another lockdown though; vaccine passports might interfere but not even sure if they will happen.

Earlier on in lockdown, I was in the shop round the corner. The bloke in front of me was cheerfully telling the shop assistant that he had popped in to stock up on baccy as he had symptoms and was on his way to get tested. :facepalm: :mad:

It does really test my faith in humanity and people's level of intelligence sometimes tbh.

I still regularly come across people through work (NHS) with clearly possible/likely covid symptoms who are going about their normal business coughing everywhere. Some have done a LFT and got a negative and then think that's fine.

I fucking hate LFTs, I think they've confused people no end, wouldn't at all be surprised to find they've caused more problems than solved overall.

It does really test my faith in humanity and people's level of intelligence sometimes tbh.

I still regularly come across people through work (NHS) with clearly possible/likely covid symptoms who are going about their normal business coughing everywhere. Some have done a LFT and got a negative and then think that's fine.

I fucking hate LFTs, I think they've confused people no end, wouldn't at all be surprised to find they've caused more problems than solved overall.
One of my wife's colleagues came to work with a fever, which he thought was a hangover. Following a negative LFT, he promptly gave Covid to six other colleagues before being told to go home and get a PCR. Said colleague also counted down the days until he was allowed out again and was in the pub at one minute past midnight on the day his isolation period ended.

I wish I had gone out and done more shit last year when I was able to. I don't think there will be another lockdown though; vaccine passports might interfere but not even sure if they will happen.
Yeah, I kind of doubt there will be, I just wonder if some things might be a bit restricted, but we'll see.

I haven't been out much in last month due to rising numbers and to a) trying to minimise the chance of daughter missing residential camp and b) now trying to avoid missing on our holiday, so I'll kind of cut a bit more loose after that!

Speaking of the above, in more positive news husband and I were skeptical they'd manage this residential camp without it falling apart, even with all their precautions in place (PCRs 2 days before, LFTs before they got on coach), but they're a week in and in sealed bubble (ie, they have a site to themselves and are not mixed in with anyone else) and no lurgy. I think if someone had picked it up in the days before they were leaving it would have appeared by now. Anyway, very glad as she'd been wanting to do this camp for years but we were a bit short of cash the last few years before COVID, then she was finally supposed to go last year but obviously it was cancelled then - so would have been gutted if she'd missed out on this year.

So we've got theatre tickets in September and October - I kind of feel like there's this 'sweet spot' of Going Out to Things Sept-Oct after which point shit is likely to go downhill again unless it turns out that enough people have had Delta/been jabbed that it doesn't spike over the winter, but I wouldn't bank on that.

There's a gig I'd like to book early November (Jane Weaver) and I probably will seeing as tickets aren't pricey.

We’ve got tickets for Jane Weaver. Hopefully it’ll go ahead.

They’re so unreliable. My lateral flow was negative. I only got a pcr because my sons ltr was positive. My pcr was then positive. I could have passed Covid on to half the town if I’d had a mind to.

I’ve been to a pub for an indoor meal, a cafe for an indoor meal and a restaurant for an indoor meal, also wine tasting which was indoors - all this weekend. I think that’s quite enough for now! Sort of broken my covid anxiety in one fell swoop, hadn’t really been anywhere except the supermarket for weeks.

I quite fancy going to a gig in October but probably won’t as not able to stand up for more than a few minutes.

Just got a call from someone I used to work with telling me a guy I used to work closely with at Heathrow passed away from covid last week.

Apparently tested positive of covid a week ago last Friday called 111 Monday as was rough, and then passed away at some point between then and last Friday

Just got a call from someone I used to work with telling me a guy I used to work closely with at heathrow passed away from covid last week.

Apparently tested positive of covid a week ago last Friday called 111 Monday as was rough, and then passed away at some point between then and last Friday
It’s frightening how it just gets some people. Rest in peace your friend.

Son, to add to his belief "the vaccine hasn't been tested properly" said last night "masks don't do anything". He's going to town today with his new girlfriend and to Maccies with an unknown number of unknown teenagers. Yes, he's got to have his life etc especially as he's never done this sort of thing before, but it doesn't half make me nervous.

It does worry me that we’re so dependent on those around us to take care too.

I’m slightly anxiously waiting for my friend’s daughter to have a PCR as she is feeling unwell. Hopefully she’s negative as I obviously don’t want her to be poorly and her dad is CEV.
I haven’t seen her but I did spend the afternoon with friend on Sunday, indoors.
Apart from a weekend away where I actually distanced most of the time inside the Airbnb, it’s the first time since last March I’ve been inside someone else’s house so it feels like very bad luck.

I really need to know by Friday as I’m seeing my CEV mother in law and won’t risk it if the teen is positive as my friend could be too.

Urgh, it can’t be helped and we all did what we should and took LFTs etc but it has been a good reminder for me that my cautiousness is sensible even just from a practical point of view.

If I can’t go Friday then MIL has to find someone else to take her to the doctors and do other stuff that we were helping her with. Plus I have annual leave for the first time since Christmas and want to enjoy it.

It does worry me that we’re so dependent on those around us to take care too.

I’m slightly anxiously waiting for my friend’s daughter to have a PCR as she is feeling unwell. Hopefully she’s negative as I obviously don’t want her to be poorly and her dad is CEV.
I haven’t seen her but I did spend the afternoon with friend on Sunday, indoors.
Apart from a weekend away where I actually distanced most of the time inside the Airbnb, it’s the first time since last March I’ve been inside someone else’s house so it feels like very bad luck.

I really need to know by Friday as I’m seeing my CEV mother in law and won’t risk it if the teen is positive as my friend could be too.

Urgh, it can’t be helped and we all did what we should and took LFTs etc but it has been a good reminder for me that my cautiousness is sensible even just from a practical point of view.

If I can’t go Friday then MIL has to find someone else to take her to the doctors and do other stuff that we were helping her with. Plus I have annual leave for the first time since Christmas and want to enjoy it.
Advice please.
Teen tested negative but other people she was with over the weekend are positive. Now she has a temperature so is having another PCR tomorrow this time at the centre not a home test. I’m working on the assumption she is positive.

With this timeline, I’m thinking I’m unlikely to have caught it but please tell me if I’m wrong.

Friday or Saturday- probably when teen caught it.
I saw friend Sunday.
Teen symptoms started Tuesday and temp today.

Isn’t it fairly unlikely that her mum would have caught Covid and be able to pass it on between Friday and Sunday?
I’m not bothered about having to isolate if I need to but I have to decide whether we see my MIL as she needs us tomorrow to help her.

Sorry to hear all this.

Whatever else happens, you shouldn't be going back to work until the assessment has been done and any necessary measures to ensure your safety have been implemented.

Are you concerned that you will be asked to go back to work without this happening?

Last edited:
You can't be completely responsible for protecting everyone else, because their safety also depends on varying levels of interaction with others. It's an impossible ask. So even if you removed yourself, it might be for 'nothing', covid-wise.

Will any online teaching continue when school reopens? You have a rock solid case for being able to continue to work from home. If not in your current job, then in another, or if push comes to shove, in none at all. That's better than risking your mental and physical health. There must surely be financial support, given your situation.

Sorry you're going through this. It sounds so very stressful xx

Last edited:
This is the one and only time you will ever hear me say anything in favour of Universal Credit, but it will help you cover bills, so that you can have something left at the end of the month albeit crumbs (and obviously not necessarily enough for a family to feed children properly), but it is there. If it's a temporary measure, could you manage on the minimum? Something to buy you some time to look for another home working job?

I'm assuming your sister is entitled to some support, given the effects of her stroke, and that that could help. Is yours the only possible income, or are there other benefits you could claim for parents and sis, as carer?

I know the feeling of being really close to having nothing. I've got a cushion in terms of some family and friends, but was down to my last few quid of my own a couple of years ago. It's so worrying.

If you weren't doing your current job, but were working at home, what would you want to do? What's possible?

(Sorry for my 5-minute PhD in your situation and possibly crap questions that you've thought around and again. Just hoping that something I or someone else says might turn up another angle to explore.)

Edited to correct my error. Apologies x

Last edited:
Sugar Kane

Firstly, your health/not being exposed to Covid has to be the priority.

Second, if you need an Occupational Health interview before returning to your normal workplace (and it sounds like someone from your organisation has recognised that you do) then you can legitimately refuse to return to your normal workplace until this is carried out.

Once you have the OH interview, you can present any concerns you have, including any evidence from medical professionals familiar with your particular situation.

Your employer has to ensure that it's safe for you, specifically, with your conditions, to return to work.

If they can't do that, and it sounds from what you're saying that they can't, then they can't insist on you returning to work.

You should probably get advice from someone who knows what they're talking about (like a union if you're in one) rather than some random off the Internet, but if your condition wouldn't prevent you from working in normal, non Covid circumstances, then I don't think they can force you to leave your job by taking medical retirement against your will.

But whatever the eventual outcome, it sounds like it's something you need proper advice and support with now so that the worry and uncertainty don't become overwhelming.

College is pretty empty - no students, minimal staff- but apart from a few remaining lip-service signs you would never know there's a pandemic ongoing. 493 cases per 100k and 775 (+49) in the past week. Enrolment is in full swing and nobody is wearing a mask.

Back
Top Bottom