Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overnight Oats

sojourner

Where's me readers?
Right, had my very first overnight oats this morning, very nice indeed! Summer porridge :cool:

I made this one (with Skyr and oat milk) and topped it with blueberries:

and whilst I wouldn't normally eat choccy for brekky, this was absolutely fucking gorgeous, so, overnight oats devotees, give me your fave recipes here (WITH PROPORTION/MEASUREMENTS), so I can start making more.

Last edited:
Timely thread, as I've just started making this myself.

Haven't been following any particular recipes, but I've been going with 40g oats, 10g chia seeds, 15g mixed raisins and cranberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, some milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter dolloped on in the morning.

I do a lot of running, so experimenting with doubling up on the oats, and wondering which protein powder might work best mixed in, but not got any further than wondering yet!

I love overnight oats. Used to make them and bring them to work as my lunch. They are delicious especially in summer and...especially with a cup of tea!!

My go to recipe was ..
Oats, greek yoghurt (or blueberry yoghurt) honey (or maple syrup) blueberries and raspberries. With chopped almonds throughout.
It's easy to put together and so tasty.

Sometimes if I am out of porridge oats I will use muesli instead. Just as nice and plenty extra bits of fruit and seeds and nuts.

150g of Skyr, 30g of protein powder (strawberry at the mo), 30g of oats, a handful of frozen cherries. Takes a minute to make, high protein, filling and delicious. :thumbs:

Timely thread, as I've just started making this myself.

Haven't been following any particular recipes, but I've been going with 40g oats, 10g chia seeds, 15g mixed raisins and cranberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, some milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter dolloped on in the morning.

I do a lot of running, so experimenting with doubling up on the oats, and wondering which protein powder might work best mixed in, but not got any further than wondering yet!
Coolio.

Yeh, I wanted to be more daring, but also wanted to get the consistency right first. I'd like to use more Skyr in them for instance, but not sure how that affects the end result. Don't fancy chia seeds, so put golden linseeds in mine instead.

Also didn't fancy changing the consistency with protein powder, although that was my original plan.

I love overnight oats. Used to make them and bring them to work as my lunch. They are delicious especially in summer and...especially with a cup of tea!!

My go to recipe was ..
Oats, greek yoghurt (or blueberry yoghurt) honey (or maple syrup) blueberries and raspberries. With chopped almonds throughout.
It's easy to put together and so tasty.

Sometimes if I am out of porridge oats I will use muesli instead. Just as nice and plenty extra bits of fruit and seeds and nuts.
Ah yes, I'm also gonna trial various nuts and seeds in them.

Can I ask for your proportions of everything too please? I wanna get the consistency right.

150g of Skyr, 30g of protein powder (strawberry at the mo), 30g of oats, a handful of frozen cherries. Takes a minute to make, high protein, filling and delicious. :thumbs:
Ahh, no milk at all then? Just Skyr? Interesting, will give this a go. How's the consistency? And I take it this is for one portion only?

Haven't had it for ages. I used to do something like 3/4 spoons of oats, a spoon of h&b omega sprinkles, few almonds chopped up, a couple of those moist dried apricots chopped up and milk. Never tried with yoghurt and didn't need it sweetened except with the apricots.

Must get back into it.

Is this a new thing?

Soaking your oats overnight has always been the way to make the best porridge. My gran taught me that many years ago!

Also remember that they get better still if you let the extra cool after making and keep it for heating-up again (with a little extra liquid) on subsequent days. :)

Ahh, no milk at all then? Just Skyr? Interesting, will give this a go. How's the consistency? And I take it this is for one portion only?
It works pretty well without milk (the frozen cherries add a bit of liquid as they thaw) though guess you could add a splash if you liked. It's quite chewy (which I like). 330ish calories and 45g of protein. :thumbs:

Is this a new thing?

Soaking your oats overnight has always been the way to make the best porridge. My gran taught me that many years ago!

Also remember that they get better still if you let the extra cool after making and keep it for heating-up again (with a little extra liquid) on subsequent days. :)
Nah, I've seen people on here mentioning it a few times over the years, just never tried it meself. I bloody love porridge but it's getting too warm for full-on boiling hot cereal now, so thought I'd try this.

Yeh, I made 3 portions in the one glass jar, so got brekky sorted for the weekend too now.

It works pretty well without milk (the frozen cherries add a bit of liquid as they thaw) though guess you could add a splash if you liked. It's quite chewy (which I like). 330ish calories and 45g of protein. :thumbs:
Yes, of course they do - had already thought of that the other day then promptly forgot it :D I'm getting into frozen fruit now - cheaper than fresh (just!), plus longer lasting and very convenient. Probably fresher than the 'fresh' too tbh.

Cheers, will give this one a go.

Is it for one portion?

Ah yes, I'm also gonna trial various nuts and seeds in them.

Can I ask for your proportions of everything too please? I wanna get the consistency right.
I'm afraid I just toss the lot in together. I use a stainless steel jar and fill it one third with oats and then another third yoghurt and topped off with everything else.
The oats just seems to soak up the yoghurt overnight. I check in the morning and if its really too stiff I might add milk in the morning and give it a good stir..cover it and used to head to work. Now it just stays in the fridge for another while.

But I got lazy about it. I used mix it all the night before ...m

Eta like Sue said...milk is optional. I don't use it generally.

I used to have overnight oats a lot, but I seem to have got out of the habit.
Tend to use just yogurt, with maybe a small splash of milk to loosen it up if needed.
Carrot cake overnight oats are lush!

I used to have overnight oats a lot, but I seem to have got out of the habit.
Tend to use just yogurt, with maybe a small splash of milk to loosen it up if needed.
Carrot cake overnight oats are lush!
Yes - you were one of the people I remember posting about it. I think May Kasahara did too.

Oh wow - the carrot cake one does look fab, thank you! What is 'mixed spice'? What did you use?

pogofish It's not for heating up.

Also never heard anyone say to soak oats overnight before cooking them.
I was also taught to make porridge the night before, by my Scottish mother, in the 60s. So I was also a bit bewildered when I first heard about "overnight oats".

Turns out the only difference is that it is not reheated. Cold porridge, innit. Although it usually has fruit and stuff added to it, which was certainly not added by my mother!

I cheat and just chuck a bit of boiling water on the oats before adding yoghurt, saves having to soak them overnight.
I really loved the creamy thick consistency and the coolness of it though, plus being able to just pull your brekky ready-made out the fridge was a big plus.

I really loved the creamy thick consistency and the coolness of it though, plus being able to just pull your brekky ready-made out the fridge was a big plus.
It's pretty much the same consistency and temp by the time you've added yoghurt etc, just without the faff preparing stuff the day before which for me is more convenient.

Yes, of course they do - had already thought of that the other day then promptly forgot it :D I'm getting into frozen fruit now - cheaper than fresh (just!), plus longer lasting and very convenient. Probably fresher than the 'fresh' too tbh.

Cheers, will give this one a go.

Is it for one portion?
Yeah, one quite big portion. :)

I was also taught to make porridge the night before, by my Scottish mother, in the 60s. So I was also a bit bewildered when I first heard about "overnight oats".

Turns out the only difference is that it is not reheated. Cold porridge, innit. Although it usually has fruit and stuff added to it, which was certainly not added by my mother!

I think that would make it a form of Brose then - again, not new and it can also be soaked overnight, esp if you don't plan on using boiling water/hot milk etc.

Overnight oats aren't heated at all. It's nothing like cooked porridge left to go cold.

It's a recipe with oats in. It's no more porridge than flapjacks are.

I vastly prefer raw oats to porridge, and have never understood why people turn perfectly decent grains into wallpaper paste. But I've never soaked them. Simply add milk, dairy or plant-based, or yoghurt, and then whatever you happen to have to hand -- other grains, nuts, fruit.

Never had this but keen on yogurty oats so going to make some as I have most of the things. I have made a sort of Cranachan like this with tayberries and yog or cream, and whiskey too or rum

Back
Top Bottom