Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oscars 2014

Anyone else here then? Not enough dresses shown on the build up for me.

Looking forward to Ellen.

Glad Matt mcconaughey won. That was a brilliant performance. Overall a great year for film. Watched Her the other night and that was my outside pick, fucking great.

Happy for McConaughey and Leto, over the moon (heh) for Cuaron. Leto was great in Requiem and Fight Club (long time ago now).

Seen all the films apart from nebraska which I havn't even heard of.

I'm thinking gravity was the best of the bunch.

I haven't seen it either, although some of it was filmed a few blocks from my house. I did get a glimpse of Bruce Dean on the way home from work one day. Looking forward to the video.

Yes. Even Lady Gaga (not sure why she was at the Oscars) wore a normal, nice dress.

I hope DiCaprio will win an Oscar one year. This one wasn't perhaps as deserving as previous nominations, but that's four times unlucky now.

I can't believe he didn't even get one back in his Gilbert Grape, Basketball Diaries days.

I've never seen him act badly. He's brilliant. I think in the early days he wasnt winning anything for BB diaries etc because he was too young and pretty but surely now he's a wrinkled old bastard he deserves one at some point. Possibly not for Wolf of Wall Street but next year maybe.

He might have put in a great performance but I'd just like to say Matt McConaughey is a massive massive douche.

He might have put in a great performance but I'd just like to say Matt McConaughey is a massive massive douche.
I tend to agree with you, but it was a great performance and he well deserved his award.

Actually this year is the first time I can remember when I think the Academy got every award right (at least from the nominations) - and it was a strong year too. I haven't seen 12 Years A Slave but given it's subject and the critical reaction to it I'm not surprised it won and it probably deserved it. But in other years either Gravity or Dallas Buyers Club could easily have scooped the best film award - and compared to last year's very disappointing winner, perhaps every film nominated this year could have.

Just watched the extended highlights, was a pretty good show and as others have said, no real dropped balls in terms of the awards (I'd have gone Chiwetel Ejiofor over McConaughey personally, but either deserved it).

John Travolta fucking up Idina Menzel's name, and also looking like a cheapskate with the Pizzas did make me laugh :D

Nice Harold Ramis shout out from Bill Murray too :cool:

Especially since he apparently wasn't in the official 'people who died this year' montage.
Which was a weird decision.

Especially since he apparently wasn't in the official 'people who died this year' montage.

He was in the montage (about 4 mins in).

Just thought it was nice as they apparently didn't get along well in recent years.

Alain Resnais wasn't in included in the montage this year, which was a shame.

Suppose it was cutting it a bit close for them to re-edit, but apparently there is a much longer 'In Memorium' posted on the official site that includes lots of people not shown during the main ceremony.

But yes, great director, remember being shown Night & Fog in my first year at Uni doing Film, hard to watch but brilliant.

He was in it, you may not have recognized him. His illness had aged him quite a bit.

BTW, I could have done without "Wind Beneath my Wings." I'm about ready to stop going to funerals because of endless video montages backed by that awful, awful song.:( If it must be a Bette Midler song, can't we have "Over the Shoulder Boulder Holder" once?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom