Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

cant you get ITV1 live on it?
ITV live streaming via ITVX isn't supported on all devices - took them ages to introduce it for Vidaa based TVs and it wouldn't surprise me if it still isn't fully rolled out to all platforms/operating systems.

a very good alternative
Wish i had. Had to sign up to premium for £6 a month, which was needlessly faffy and I can’t even rewind to watch it from the beginning so my efforts to avoid spoilers all night have been in vain. Watching clips on YouTube of each category in order and trying to avoid glancing at the sidebar. Should have just gone to bed.

Feels like there was some horse trading going on to ensure that some of the films better than the Oppenheimer juggernaut won something.

I'm glad that they removed most of the song and dance crap and just presented the awards. They also started it earlier, which means you aren't up until mid-night to see who won best picture. I had hoped to see Lily Gladstone win for Best Actress, but it wasn't to be. I haven't seen Emma Stone's performance so I can't tell you if that was a fair call or not. I did like how they presented the acting awards by bringing in more than one former winner. I think that was done to avoid bringing up the whole Will Smith thing again.

Very 'as expected' on the whole, maybe Emma Stone winning Best Actress was a little surprising due to the buzz around Lily Gladstone, but hard to say she didn't deserve it after that performance in Poor Things.

Anyway, the actual highlight of the evening as mentioned above -

Perhaps Ryan Gosling could try not being great at everything, fuck's sake man.

EDIT - Shang Chi and Dr Who as backing dancers :D

Very 'as expected' on the whole, maybe Emma Stone winning Best Actress was a little surprising due to the buzz around Lily Gladstone, but hard to say she didn't deserve it after that performance in Poor Things.

Anyway, the actual highlight of the evening as mentioned above -

Perhaps Ryan Gosling could try not being great at everything, fuck's sake man.

EDIT - Shang Chi and Dr Who as backing dancers :D

How the fuck did that not win? I dont care that the Billie was clearly a 'technically' better song. No fucking way was there any piece of music in a film last year that had as many people laughing and whooping along.

Say it loud, say it proud,

We're just Ken!

His delivery was perfect during that bit.

Also amusing was Arnie / Danny De Vito berating Michael Keaton for their Batman villain deaths.
I’m impressed how surprisingly decent a deadpan comedy actor he has turned out to be for someone who (presumably) had no previous acting experience let alone any training, and jumped straight from the WWE circuit to Hollywood.

He certainly puts some of the established professional and well established go-to supporting role Hollywood comedians to shame, as well as coming across as a likeable guy.

I’m impressed how surprisingly decent a deadpan comedy actor he has turned out to be for someone who (presumably) had no previous acting experience let alone training and jumped straight from the WWE circuit to Hollywood. He certainly puts some of the established professional and well established go-to supporting role Hollywood comedians to shame.
dude, WWE is 100% acting

Never heard of him. Just looked him up though and dont think I've seen any of his films.
Other than Barbie & an episode of Parks & Rec, me neither. When he appeared I knew I recognised him, but not from anywhere I could bring to mind.

Reactions: Sue
Never heard of him. Just looked him up though and dont think I've seen any of his films.
The Suicide Squad (the recent remake rather than the 2016 shitshow) was probably his international breakthrough. And he’s sensational in the spinoff series Peacemaker. I’d recommend that to anyone who likes adult humour even if they hate superhero stuff.

Oppenheimer was shit

Ih what universe was that film 'shit'? It was amazing in every sense. Glad to see the Oscars actually recognising a good film for the first time in years. And thank fuck Barbie was rightfully ignored. Just terrible.

Ih what universe was that film 'shit'? It was amazing in every sense. Glad to see the Oscars actually recognising a good film for the first time in years. And thank fuck Barbie was rightfully ignored. Just terrible.
It was over long. There was not enough dramatic tension. The Einstein bits were shoe-horned in and didn't feel relevant to the story. The women characters are badly drawn.

This is what I remember John Cena for:

In Fast and Furious 9 they "misdrew" the border of China and Taiwan so they cooked up this apology to prevent China from censoring the film.

I think both Oppenheimer and Killers Of The Flower Moon suffered from rather a flat narrative not helped by their lengthy running times. They’re both incredible but intricate stories which are impossible to condense down into profitably entertaining stand-alone movies.

I'm glad that they removed most of the song and dance crap and just presented the awards. They also started it earlier, which means you aren't up until mid-night to see who won best picture. I had hoped to see Lily Gladstone win for Best Actress, but it wasn't to be. I haven't seen Emma Stone's performance so I can't tell you if that was a fair call or not. I did like how they presented the acting awards by bringing in more than one former winner. I think that was done to avoid bringing up the whole Will Smith thing again.

I don't get the praise for Gladstone - her face didn't change expression once in the whole movie. I wanted to think she was great, and she had good screen presence, but that's it.

Stone was amazing in a difficult role - essentially playing a baby (in an adult's body) and then developing that into a teenager and an intelligent (and still weird as fuck) adult.

I don't get the praise for Gladstone - her face didn't change expression once in the whole movie. I wanted to think she was great, and she had good screen presence, but that's it.

Stone was amazing in a difficult role - essentially playing a baby (in an adult's body) and then developing that into a teenager and an intelligent (and still weird as fuck) adult.
I was just about to make a similar observation. Gladstone's character wasn't fleshed out IMO, she became a representative of the Osage (and by extension all indigenous Americans) rather than an individual. She was just someone who has stuff happen to her. I haven't read the book yet, but I suspect this is the film's fault, not the story's. This is not a criticism of Gladstone's performance, but of the role. Stone and Gladstone are both excellent actors, but Stone had more scope to do the kind of transformative acting that garners awards.

Reactions: Sue
I was just about to make a similar observation. Gladstone's character wasn't fleshed out IMO, she became a representative of the Osage (and by extension all indigenous Americans) rather than an individual. She was just someone who has stuff happen to her. I haven't read the book yet, but I suspect this is the film's fault, not the story's. This is not a criticism of Gladstone's performance, but of the role. Stone and Gladstone are both excellent actors, but Stone had more scope to do the kind of transformative acting that garners awards.

That's a difficulty with a lot of books and films. The female characters are badly written, not fully formed, given hackneyed dialogue, or just plain absent.

That's a difficulty with a lot of books and films. The female characters are badly written, not fully formed, given hackneyed dialogue, or just plain absent.
Let’s not forget the ones there just to actualise the male hero’s plot. All those dead wives, kidnapped girlfriends and manic pixie dream girls.

Last edited:
Even though it would have meant removing a female character, Oppenheimer would have been vastly improved by removing most or all of the affair with the Communist sub plot. It added nothing to the story - other aspects already established that he had Communist affiliations and had loads of affairs - and all it did was add extra time, unnecessary and rather exploitative nudity, and a bizarre sex scene where he (mis-)quotes ancient texts in the middle of shagging.

But I guess Nolan had to include it to make up for the wife definitely not dying.

Back
Top Bottom