Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

Unlike a book award chosen by a small group in committee Oscars are voted on, by a mainly aged group of 10,000 film people... It's much more common denominator than other awards

Haven't watched Tár, but it sounds tedious as fuck.
I thought that too, based on the description. But it was a really good film.

Anyhow, the 2024 Oscar nominees are out. Notable that Barbie got a nod for Best Picture, but Greta Gerwig was left out for Best Director and Margot Robbie for Best Actress. While Ken did get a nomination.

Now it's entirely possible that that's justified. I can't claim to have seen all the nominees. But given the tone deaf habit of past Academy Awards they were probably thinking...
Well, it's easy for a woman to make feminism look good, but a man making misogyny look bad takes real acting chops #AllMenArePigs... or, at least, so it would seem that the Academy believes (while also demonstrating themselves to be pigs).

I haven't seen Nyad, which sounds like a fairly bog standard biopic, but would agree the other four actors were more deserving than Robbie in that category. Gerwigs omission is far more dubious tho, as is Gosling's inclusion.

If RDJ doesn't win Best Supporting Actor over Ryan Gosling then I give up even trying to make predictions. That one to me is a slam dunk.

If RDJ doesn't win Best Supporting Actor over Ryan Gosling then I give up even trying to make predictions. That one to me is a slam dunk.
I've seen all of the films with the nominees for BSA (apart from American Fiction which isn't out yet but looks promising). Of course RDJ or bloody De Niro'll win it because Serious Films. :rolleyes: For my money, Mark Ruffalo was much better than either but Non-Serious Film so... (See also Oppenheimer in general. The Academy love a Serious Film. Shame it and Scorsese's effort are just not very good films.)

I've seen all of the films with the nominees for BSA (apart from American Fiction which isn't out yet but looks promising). Of course RDJ or bloody De Niro'll win it because Serious Films. :rolleyes: For my money, Mark Ruffalo was much better than either but Non-Serious Film so... (See also Oppenheimer in general. The Academy love a Serious Film. Shame it and Scorsese's effort are just not very good films.)

Last year's serious film that won all the Oscars...

1706390738605.png

Such a gorgeous start with the previous Oscar winners for supporting actress talking about the nominees. 💙

Such a gorgeous start with the previous Oscar winners for supporting actress talking about the nominees. 💙
I’m glad they’re not doing it for all the categories though! It would take ages.

A good bit of pro union politics in the opening bit, good to hear. Standing ovation for the Teamsters!

Having just seen the Best Original Screenplay, the editors were clearly taking the with the selection of Maestro to show. They chose a clip (with the original script imposed) where the screenwriter wrote ‘reigning it in’. It’s ‘reining’.

Poor Things kicking it at the moment, 3-0 up on Oppenheimer

Nut sure it will win more than one more though, and Best Supporting Actor is up next....

I’m glad they’re not doing it for all the categories though! It would take ages.

A good bit of pro union politics in the opening bit, good to hear. Standing ovation for the Teamsters!
That's fucking rich considering AMPAS was founded to bypass unions.

Poor Things kicking it at the moment, 3-0 up on Oppenheimer

Nut sure it will win more than one more though, and Best Supporting Actor is up next....
how are you watching it? i can't seem to find it - there's some godawful red carpet shite going on on itv x - I haven't watched live telly in years, and I keep forgetting it's live and picking up the remote to fast forward through the awkward 'interviews'
why do they bother with this shit? they pick some awful people to interview the stars, asking stupid questions that even Oscar-nominated actors seem to be struggling to remain civil and patient with the ignorant or banal questioning

how are you watching it? i can't seem to find it - there's some godawful red carpet shite going on on itv x - I haven't watched live telly in years, and I keep forgetting it's live and picking up the remote to fast forward through the awkward 'interviews'
why do they bother with this shit? they pick some awful people to interview the stars, asking stupid questions that even Oscar-nominated actors seem to be struggling to remain civil and patient with the ignorant or banal questioning
um, on ITV

(actually, I've moved upstairs to the smoking room, but I started on actual telly)

um, on ITVd

(actually, I've moved upstairs to the smoking room, but I started on actual telly)
damn, haven't figured out how to get that on my telly yet. Have had this telly five years and only today realised I could connect it to the internet instead of only accessing catch-up and streaming channels via apps on my Playstation, There doesn't seem to be an ITV app and my telly's not connected to an aerial/cable, just wifi

ITVx should be available as an app
it is, but there's just loads of plastic folk milling about. YouTube has loads of streams but with an intrusive commentary from a couple of idiots who clearly have no connection to the show
ETA - there is no ITV X app in the Playstation store.
I may have to give up and watch American Fiction on Amazon

Back
Top Bottom