Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oil tanker possibly seized off Isle of Wight

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
Capture.JPG

A bit unclear but it seems seven stowaways were discovered, and that it's now taking a wiggly course.

"Local MP Bob Seely has told Sky News he expects the incident will be handled by marine counter-terrorism forces and that a COBR meeting has likely either been held or is due to be held."

Isle of Wight: Stowaways on board tanker in 'ongoing incident'

Police are dealing with an "ongoing incident" on board an oil tanker situated off the Isle of Wight. The crude oil tanker, the Liberian-registered Nave Andromeda, is known to have stowaways on board and was due to dock in Southampton earlier. Lawyers representing the vessel's owners said they knew of the stowaways but that the incident was "100% not a hijacking", despite reports.

View attachment 235875

A bit unclear but it seems seven stowaways were discovered, and that it's now taking a wiggly course.

"Local MP Bob Seely has told Sky News he expects the incident will be handled by marine counter-terrorism forces and that a COBR meeting has likely either been held or is due to be held."
Seely sounds like he's getting a little over-excited, TBH

This gets better and better

Mr Seeley prefaced the following was "guesswork" on his end, but the situation potentially comes under Marine Counter-Terrorism.
He said: "There are very, very few military units that would deal with that. There's one further down the coast from where we are and I suspect they're working on some contingency plans at the unit."
He said their intelligence "guys and girls" would be looking at the vessel, where it is from, who is on it, who should be on it, the people who should not be on it and what it is carrying and the potential threat if it comes closer to land.
"I think all of these questions are being looked at, and from a military point of view you're going to be looking at options to board the vessel, either peacefully with the agreement of people on the vessel or not so peacefully if that agreement is not coming and the situation worsens," he added.

Sounds like he's gone boat happy...

I imagine an oil tanker might be an environment in which one wouldn't want a normal military response, with guns etc, because of the fire / explosion hazard?

I imagine an oil tanker might be an environment in which one wouldn't want a normal military response, with guns etc, because of the fire / explosion hazard?

Nah, crude etc.. is only flammable if you put a 500lb bomb in it, and tankers are all double hulled - small arms and grenades aren't going to compromise it and cause a leak.

The big concern would be it going around and ripping the bum off the hull - that would do the business.

Indeed, that was my point, guns and fumes and vapour don't mix!

Competing risks. As usual with difficult, grown-up stuff, there are no options that don't carry risks and downsides. You just get to choose which risks and downsides you're prepared to accept and which you aren't.

Uncontrolled tanker running aground has a much greater risk of a serious pollution incident than a firefight causing it to go bang.

Back
Top Bottom