Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oil City Confidential (Dr Feelgood film)

hammerntongues

Did anyone else go to the opening last night ? Julian Temple`s tribute to Dr.Feelgood , third of the trilogy after Filth and the Fury and The Future is Unwritten , followed by a live performance beamed from Camden Palace from Wilko Johnson.

I was always going to be biased because I grew up in Benfleet the neighbour of Canvey Island and knew well all the pubs and clubs . I thought it was excellent , at least the first half of the film was about growing up in Canvey and the backs against the wall us attitude it instilled. The last half detailed the infuence of the band in that short period just before Punk came along and changed the face of music , high energy performances that shocked audiences that had got used to guitar and keyboard twiddling .

Hoping this makes it to my local flicks as is Mrs.Griff who saw them a lot back in the day. :)

It was in a smallish Odeon cinema around 200 possibly , 90 percent male , 90 percent over 45 and under 55 , looking over the tops of lots of shiny bald heads , every 5 mins someone would get up and appologise cos the ol`bladders not as good as it used to be :D

I was always going to be biased because I grew up in Benfleet the neighbour of Canvey Island and knew well all the pubs and clubs . I thought it was excellent , at least the first half of the film was about growing up in Canvey and the backs against the wall us attitude it instilled. The last half detailed the infuence of the band in that short period just before Punk came along and changed the face of music , high energy performances that shocked audiences that had got used to guitar and keyboard twiddling .

Actually, this is what appeals to me more than Dr. Feelgood. I know Canvey Island and Southend fairly well

Actually, this is what appeals to me more than Dr. Feelgood. I know Canvey Island and Southend fairly well

I am a Benfleet boy and even lived on Canvey for a while in the early 80`s , I think because of the obvious the lack of material with Lee Brilleaux , Temple had to pad things out a bit with early photos and clips , it actually made for a better film , at least if you familiar with the place and era . tbere were a few " talking heads " but they were generally kept to those who knew them well , old school mates etc. Watch out for Brilleauxs Mum , she steals a few scenes

Back
Top Bottom