Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which UK City Wins at Music

Love the last three especially - and would add The Shop Assistants and the Beta Band personally.
If we're having the Beta Band (Fife) we're having Cocteau Twins too (Grangemouth) and Frightened Rabbit (Selkirk). I don't think we can though.

Love the last three especially - and would add The Shop Assistants and the Beta Band personally.
Think Oi Polloi are Edinburgh as well, they're definitely an institution, even if they're not as good as the Shop Assistants (but then who is?)

Think Oi Polloi are Edinburgh as well, they're definitely an institution, even if they're not as good as the Shop Assistants (but then who is?)
I will defer to wee piper on the geography, but Oi Polloi are not as good as a lot of things from what I’ve heard…

I've said for years that the weight of Madchester and the Indie heyday are a noose round Manchester's neck, just like The Beatles were for Liverpool. To get anywhere here you have to be seen as the next big indie thing....that's why we ended up with The Courteeners and Blossoms.

Bullshit that's frequently trawled out include Tony Wilson sayings....'We do things differently here' and 'Manchester kids have the best record collections'. Parents who've never got beyond the great times they had at the Hacienda are to blame too. I know loads of them....and their kids.

Aitch and Bugzy Malone are 2 local artists who seem to be big non indie names but I don't follow that sort of scene enough to know if they're big beyond Manchester. I liked the tune I heard by Aitch though.

As far as venues goes I'm over many of them. Even places that should be amazing like the Albert Hall are a let down 80% of the time. Seen good gigs at Gorilla and Deaf Institute but don't reallly like them anymore.

Of those I still like... Soup Kitchen, Star and Garter, Gullivers, Aatma, The Peer Hat off the top of my head.

Salford is obvs where it's at currently. I'm so glad my son has places like The White Hotel to go to.
went to a new place tonight, The Blues Kitchen - the gig was good but jesus christ the venue man... I'd recommend going once to check out some of the most vulgar interior design decisions you'll ever see in a bar, but beyond that fuck no.

After London i‘d go with Manchester. BUT if you make it Merseyside I’d give the second place to Liverpool (Wirral has produced a load of great bands). I always thought The La’s were better than any of the Manchester bands of that generation (including The Roses).

After London i‘d go with Manchester. BUT if you make it Merseyside I’d give the second place to Liverpool (Wirral has produced a load of great bands). I always thought The La’s were better than any of the Manchester bands of that generation (including The Roses).
Christ. The only had one song that they released at least 17 times...

For going out and different types of clubs probably London. I do have a love for Bristol and Birmingham, though sadly not been to Birmingham for a long time.

Always found Manchester to be a bit of a let down to be honest.
This being said the Manchester Drum and Bass producers particularly the MC's are immense.

No, releasing the same bloody song umpteen times kind of put me off.
You really should. It's up there with the first Roses album and Pills, thrills and belly aches. That song I find a bit tedious these days (but it's still a classic pop song) but it's nowhere near the best song on the album. There aren't any bad songs on it and it perfectly encapsulates Merseyside at the time it was recorded (I grew up in Merseyside). Put the headphones on and have a listen to this. Actually the whole thing but try this one as a taster.

Trying to speculate to myself whether or not there's any/many bands from Glastonbury (town) who've made it much?!

Find it hard to believe that there's none!

Or that there isn't any crossover influence from music at the annual city 'just up the road' ;) that gets back into 'town' -- surely some of that must have some effect!

That there city where Soul II Soul, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Madness, Roots Manuva, Cookie Crew, Sex Pistols, The The, The Slits, Derek B, The Clash, Floetry, The Pogues, Cymande, The Damned, Wee Papa Girl Rappers, The Orb, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Hawkwind, The Kinks etc came from...

went to a new place tonight, The Blues Kitchen - the gig was good but jesus christ the venue man... I'd recommend going once to check out some of the most vulgar interior design decisions you'll ever see in a bar, but beyond that fuck no.
I've not seen anything there I fancy yet but the name's been enough to put me off. I think I saw an article about it in the evening news that made it sound like a theme pub.

Ah, good prompt, because I was massively into Scum/From Enslavement... era Napalm Death in my youth, so that's another Brum band in my record box.

Am I right in thinking Napalm Death are three times removed from the people who started the band, i.e. original line-up all gone by 'Scum', 'Scum' line-up all gone ten years later?
A diversion, but a friend alerts me to the existence of the Napalm Death Scum Action Figure

RE-NapalmDeath_W1_ScumDemon_LimeGreen_card_2048_2048x2048.jpg

Trying to speculate to myself whether or not there's any/many bands from Glastonbury (town) who've made it much?!

Find it hard to believe that there's none!

Or that there isn't any crossover influence from music at the annual city 'just up the road' ;) that gets back into 'town' -- surely some of that must have some effect!

Reef!

Reef came from Glastonbury. Well, Street and Cheddar a bit as well, but they definitely have very strong connections to the town, and still live locally. The track 'Summer's In Bloom' mentions the Cinnamon Lane playground in the town for example. I was also once told a story of the connections between Reef and Toploader when both were starting out, I think they may have both gone to Strode College in Street, but I can't fully remember. Technically Crispin Blunt, former lead singer of The Longpigs, lives in Glastonbury too, but I think he moved there after the band had broken up.

However, I doubt there's much crossover from the festival into the town, as the festival's a long way away from the town, and if it did have any effect, you'd expect it to have the effect in Shepton Mallet, the town the festival should actually be named after, because that's the town it's actually next to.

The problem Glastonbury also has is that whilst a lot of music does get made in the town, most of it is like this (lead singer owns a shop in Glastonbury, video was filmed next to the Red Brick building).

Have to say my city (Exeter) hasn't done much. Can take a bit of credit for Muse. Thom Yorke had a band when he was at university here. Otherwise it's 70s Peel favourites Principle Edwards Magic Theatre and a few groups that have enjoyed some acclaim on the independent scene - Headtime, Appliance, Black Foxxes, Muncie Girls.

EDIT: How can I have forgotten Beth Gibbon of Portishead. She used to get a bit pissed at the local arty cinema and be a mild pain in the arse.

DOUBLE EDIT: And that Chris Martin from The Coldplays. Hmm.

Plymouth, as far as I know, has only given us The Family Cat, Kavus Torabi and the Larcombe Brothers (Stars in Battledress, Lost Crowns) and Torquay half of Wishbone Ash, 80s indie darlings The Morrisons and the core of The Adverts.

Otherwise, interesting to note that most of the notable non-Bristol west country acts (the aforementioned Muse and Aphex Twin, Luke Vibert/Wagon Christ/Plug, PJ Harvey, Jimmy Cauty, Pale Blue Eyes, Metronomy) are all from small towns or rural areas.

Last edited:
Reef!

Reef came from Glastonbury. Well, Street and Cheddar a bit as well, but they definitely have very strong connections to the town, and still live locally. The track 'Summer's In Bloom' mentions the Cinnamon Lane playground in the town for example. I was also once told a story of the connections between Reef and Toploader when both were starting out, I think they may have both gone to Strode College in Street, but I can't fully remember. Technically Crispin Blunt, former lead singer of The Longpigs, lives in Glastonbury too, but I think he moved there after the band had broken up.

Beat me to it! Think one of Reef was from Barnstaple as well.

Getting away from cities, but as you mention Crispin Blunt moving down, the South Devon area has long been a popular retreat of the stars. Jimmy Page, Kate Bush, Damon Albarn and, err, Lol Tolhurst from The Cure have all decamped to the lah-hoo-di-crously posh environs of the Salcombe/Kingsbridge area at one time or another.

Wiki list of Bands From Bristol - doesnt include any of the acts Im thinking of and still runs and runs and runs and runs and runs

Relevant

got to feel sorry for Derbyshire, I've not even really heard of their best selling band. And Lincolnshire must be really struggling if they've had to submit one of Girls Aloud - I presume they're including the GA record sales cause Roberts' solo career hasn't been up to much...

Looking at things from a festival point of view, Reading has rarely produced any bands of importance. Slowdive, Chapterhouse and more recently the Hoosiers and the awfully named Does it offend you yeah? were from here. Pete and the Pirates too.

Nearby Hungerford also produced Radical Dance Faction, which is probably the best we've ever done.

Back
Top Bottom