Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which UK City Wins at Music

Ah, good prompt, because I was massively into Scum/From Enslavement... era Napalm Death in my youth, so that's another Brum band in my record box.

Am I right in thinking Napalm Death are three times removed from the people who started the band, i.e. original line-up all gone by 'Scum', 'Scum' line-up all gone ten years later?
Think so, yeah, Scum is possibly unique in musical history in that the entire band except the drummer quit between recording side A and side B?

I think there'd been plenty of turnover through Napalm Death even before Scum, then yes between side A and B they mostly quit, and then the ones on side B didn't last long.:D

The list of bands they've all been involved in since would be a decent argument in favour of Birmingham on it's own though. Better than the fucking Beatles anyway.

For going out and different types of clubs probably London. I do have a love for Bristol and Birmingham, though sadly not been to Birmingham for a long time.

Always found Manchester to be a bit of a let down to be honest.

And Sting. And Neil Tennant. And Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs.

Tell me that isn't a fucking amazing festival line-up.
Wy aye man!

BF.jpg

We did have Neat Records up here, in Wallsend, just east of Newcastle. There was an interesting documentary made locally not long ago about the label, Heavier! Faster! Louder! It made a reasonable case that Tyneside rivalled Birmingham early on for the title of epicentre of New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and that for a lot of working-class kids in the provinces during that era, NWOBHM was the rebel youth music far more than punk.

On the downside, apart from maybe Venom, Raven and - if you like that sort of thing - Tygers of Pan Tang, most of the bands have not really stood the test of time. Tygers do hold the distinction of being one of three bands (along with Diamond Head and Iron Maiden) Lars Ulrich namechecked in the advert that led to his forming Metallica.

it's true that manchester has a lot of live music venues, but it's important to note that almost all of them are terrible.
I do try to put myself in your shoes, and wonder what it might be like to come from somewhere that might not be as good as Manchester, which, let's face it, is pretty much everywhere, but I never envision myself being bitter about it :D

How often do you go to gigs in Manchester?
I'm living in Ireland now, so not very often, but my nephew plays gigs in Manchester every week, as do many friends, and most of my family live there and go to plenty of gigs, as they're all music heads.

Manchester has a decent back catalogue, but hasn't managed to produce any significant bands in decades. If you spend any time there the Tony Wilson / Stone Roses / Oasis cultural dominance is pretty stifling.
I've said for years that the weight of Madchester and the Indie heyday are a noose round Manchester's neck, just like The Beatles were for Liverpool. To get anywhere here you have to be seen as the next big indie thing....that's why we ended up with The Courteeners and Blossoms.

Bullshit that's frequently trawled out include Tony Wilson sayings....'We do things differently here' and 'Manchester kids have the best record collections'. Parents who've never got beyond the great times they had at the Hacienda are to blame too. I know loads of them....and their kids.

Aitch and Bugzy Malone are 2 local artists who seem to be big non indie names but I don't follow that sort of scene enough to know if they're big beyond Manchester. I liked the tune I heard by Aitch though.

As far as venues goes I'm over many of them. Even places that should be amazing like the Albert Hall are a let down 80% of the time. Seen good gigs at Gorilla and Deaf Institute but don't reallly like them anymore.

Of those I still like... Soup Kitchen, Star and Garter, Gullivers, Aatma, The Peer Hat off the top of my head.

Salford is obvs where it's at currently. I'm so glad my son has places like The White Hotel to go to.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, Pity Me must be up there for number of bands to head of population. I don't really like any of the Pity Me bands that much though?

Back
Top Bottom