Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which UK City Wins at Music

Getting away from cities, but as you mention Crispin Blunt moving down, the South Devon area has long been a popular retreat of the stars. Jimmy Page, Kate Bush, Damon Albarn and, err, Lol Tolhurst from The Cure have all decamped to the lah-hoo-di-crously posh environs of the Salcombe/Kingsbridge area at one time or another.

Indeed. Rik Mayall died in his house near there too. Funnily enough we used to go on holiday to Salcombe every year back in the 80's, when it was still a slightly run down but very pleasant fishing village. My (very far from rich) Mum nearly bought a holiday house there to rent out. One of her biggest financial regrets that she didn't!

</thread derail>

got to feel sorry for Derbyshire, I've not even really heard of their best selling band. And Lincolnshire must be really struggling if they've had to submit one of Girls Aloud - I presume they're including the GA record sales cause Roberts' solo career hasn't been up to much...

Yeah Lincolnshire has absolutely nothing. If it wasn't Nicola Roberts - and I think her links are a little tenuous - then I've no idea who it would be.

If writing credits count then it's Bernie Taupin by miles.

ETA: Category:Musicians from Lincolnshire - Wikipedia - slim pickings here, the bassist from T-Rex, the singer from Swing Out Sister, and a member of 'Classical Boy Band' G4.

Got to say that my homeland county of Warwickshire is proper punching above its weight on that map, even if I think it's dubious nonsense.

There's five on that map I've never heard of. Shame it's just England. I was looking forward to seeing The Cranberries covering the whole of Ireland.
Best Selling Irish Artists By County of Origin

pks1w6ssm1z71.jpg

no idea if its accurate

Beat me to it! Think one of Reef was from Barnstaple as well.

Getting away from cities, but as you mention Crispin Blunt moving down, the South Devon area has long been a popular retreat of the stars. Jimmy Page, Kate Bush, Damon Albarn and, err, Lol Tolhurst from The Cure have all decamped to the lah-hoo-di-crously posh environs of the Salcombe/Kingsbridge area at one time or another.

I once occupied a roundabout in Barnstaple with the guy from Reef's dad. True story.

Beat me to it! Think one of Reef was from Barnstaple as well.

Charlie Watts had a vast tract of land in Dolton but that's miles from anywhere.

Fairly sure it's nothing like accurate - I can list a shitload of Lancashire born artists/bands who've sold more than Little Boots

I am from Manchester and agree with a lot of killer b 's observations though he may be a bit more of a cynical old fart than me.

Obviously in terms of pure numbers nowhere can compete with London.

Pro capita I'd have said Bristol.

Honorable mentions to Glasgow and Sheffield

Looking at things from a festival point of view, Reading has rarely produced any bands of importance. Slowdive, Chapterhouse and more recently the Hoosiers and the awfully named Does it offend you yeah? were from here. Pete and the Pirates too.

Nearby Hungerford also produced Radical Dance Faction, which is probably the best we've ever done.
The Cooper Temple Clause ?

Their stickers in road sign font were still on the Welcome to Reading signs on Wokingham Road and London Road

Back
Top Bottom