Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Which UK City Wins at Music

I am from Manchester and agree with a lot of killer b 's observations though he may be a bit more of a cynical old fart than me.

Obviously in terms of pure numbers nowhere can compete with London.

Pro capita I'd have said Bristol.

Honorable mentions to Glasgow and Sheffield
I don't think I'm cynical - I love Manchester and it's contemporary musical culture, and spend a lot of time hanging out in it is all. Any criticisms are from that perspective.

I think with Manchester a lot of the bands (and the hype around those bands) have made a much bigger thing about being from Manchester than those from most other places have about wherever they're from. Which is great in some ways but it does create a more limited idea of what it means to be a Manchester band.

Er, hello? Shed 7 anyone? York, obviously. Saw Rick walking down Coney St the other day. He had a tan and was smoking a cigarette. I bloody well know!

@William of Walworth

Nit sure I get that ... apologies! :oops:

Just made me lol, Will. Very much.

Last edited:
And Sting. And Neil Tennant. And Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs.

Tell me that isn't a fucking amazing festival line-up.
Maximo Park were from Newcastle as well. Admittedly, the Futureheads were the better mid-2000s north-eastern indie band, but they were mackems so fuck 'em. My mum works with someone who used to be in yourcodenameis:milo, but looking it up apparently they were Washington.

Maximo Park were from Newcastle as well. Admittedly, the Futureheads were the better mid-2000s north-eastern indie band, but they were mackems so fuck 'em. My mum works with someone who used to be in yourcodenameis:milo, but looking it up apparently they were Washington.
My loyalties are sorely tested by the fact that Maximo Park are shit and Futureheads are pretty good.

I think there'd been plenty of turnover through Napalm Death even before Scum, then yes between side A and B they mostly quit, and then the ones on side B didn't last long.:D

The list of bands they've all been involved in since would be a decent argument in favour of Birmingham on it's own though. Better than the fucking Beatles anyway.

Wasn't sure where to put this but then I remembered this thread.

I've been really enjoying the 'At The Mermaid' podcast: Home of Metal | ‘At The Mermaid’ podcast series launched - just people talking about the punk/metal scene at the Mermaid Pub in Birmingham in the 80s where Napalm Death were a regular fixture. In some ways some of it is quite familiar from my own teenage pub outings about a decade later, although none of us did anything culturally significant that anyone will want to make a podcast about.

Sure some people on here would enjoy it anyway.

Last edited:
Just for fun, like.

Visited Manchester a few times this year after a long gap and became very aware of bands and songs that came to mind whilst travelling around the area. For me that would be The Fall, A Witness, Big Flame, King of the Slums and the like, but add in 808 State, Smiths, New Order/Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Chemical Brothers, Barry Adamson, New FADs plus all the stuff like Oasis, Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets, 10 CC, Herman's Hermits, M People, Simply Red etc. etc. and I came to the conclusion that Manchester wins for sheer depth and breadth of music produced over the years.

I should add that I have no connection to the place and live 300 miles away.

Always feel Glasgow runs a close second, although that may be because it's given birth to a lot of the sort of shouty, angular stuff I happen to like, and that for its size London hasn't done much really, even more so when you discount the many 'London' bands whose members moved there from somewhere else to form a band.

How wrong am I?
Aye, it's gotta be Manchester and Salford. By the way, you missed out the Hollies, Elkie Brooks, 10cc and... the Bee Gees :eek:

Oh, and Alberto y los trios paranoias.

Manchester has a decent back catalogue, but hasn't managed to produce any significant bands in decades. If you spend any time there the Tony Wilson / Stone Roses / Oasis cultural dominance is pretty stifling.

Big bump.

The fact that the writer tries to counter her piece with some high-end restaurants and a megaclub probably just reinforces her original point

Big bump.

The fact that the writer tries to counter her piece with some high-end restaurants and a megaclub probably just reinforces her original point
Tbf, White Hotel, Yes, and the Peer Hat are all genuinely good (I have mixed feelings about Big Hands and the Night and Day battle has been extensively fought elsewhere). But, perhaps this is petty of me, I can't see Helen Pidd's name without immediately thinking of how she wrote two separate articles about visiting Leigh and positing the same Tory artisan pizza shop owner as the voice of the forgotten Northern working class. I hope she got a decent free pizza out of all that.

Back
Top Bottom