Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Film tie-in songs that were bigger than the film

More got covered by countless artists, most famously Sinatra but originally it was the theme tune for the 1962 Italian exploitation film Mondo Cane.

Reactions: Sue
Its the title song for the 1984 romantic sci-fi comedy Electric Dreams, which was a dud.

I still associate it with the film, but it was the song that made me want to watch the movie (which is indeed terrible).
I also remember it well for the prominent Judge Dredd T-Shirt in the video.

Michael Jackson's Ben is the theme tune for the lesser known sequel to the not that well known 70s horror film Willard. It's a love song for a rat.

Oh yeah, that's a good pick. . . . . though somehow even as a youngster I did know the song was always about a rat, I just thought the film (that I have never seen) was called Ben.

The Frank Sinatra cover of New York, New York is better known than the movie, then considered Martin Scorsese's biggest misstep (the title song gets performed by by Liza Minnelli in the movie). I think the movie is massively underrated tho and is probably my favourite Scorsese movie.

Que Sera Sera by Doris day was from the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Man Who Knew Too Much"

Doubt many of the football terraces (or even people who liked Birdseye Steakhouse Grills back in the day) have watched it...

"will it be mushrooms, fried onion rings, you'll have to wait and seeee... Hope its chips it's chips it's chips!"

Que Sera Sera by Doris day was from the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Man Who Knew Too Much"

Doubt many of the football terraces (or even people who liked Birdseye Steakhouse Grills back in the day) have watched it...

"will it be mushrooms, fried onion rings, you'll have to wait and seeee... Hope its chips it's chips it's chips!"

Not quite the same thing but the adverts for . . .
Vitalite - Israelites
Insignia - It's all over now
Persil - Three Little Birds
(and I am sure there are many more) were my first introduction to the actual hits that I only discovered many many years later.

Who Wants to Live Forever?
It’s A Kind of Magic

Queen songs vs Highlander film, basically. Could make a similar case for Flash Gordon songs.

You do definitely think of Flash Gordon when you hear that song though 😁 Well, that and cleaning products.

Meet Me in St. Louis vs this tune:

It's considered among the ten greatest musical movies ever made. I've seen quite a few really famous films mentioned and in the end a song only takes few minutes on the radio and a movie takes one hour plus commitment. Many people don't appreciate how big some movies were in their day or even on TV repeats.

Last edited:
question on Radio 2s Popmaster this week - which musical did (Hey) Big Spender come from
Sweet Charity - never heard of it. theres a flim version too

I don't think we've had All-Star by Smashmouth yet. IIRC it was a tie in with the mostly forgotten Mystery Men. Guilty pleasure disclaimer - it's one of the few superhero-esque/-adjacent films that I like.

There's also Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna whose fame and ubiquity has I think eclipsed that of Requiem for a Dream - I think it was even reworked in to one of the LOTR movies.

Edit: wasn't Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head originally done for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? I could be wrong but think it might have been a question in a pub quiz that I dimly remember.

I concur. Post reported.

don't think we've had All-Star by Smashmouth yet. IIRC it was a tie in with the mostly forgotten Mystery Men. Guilty pleasure disclaimer - it's one of the few superhero-esque/-adjacent films that I like
I think it's current cultural ubiquity is down to it featuring prominently in Shrek though, which is definitely the film most people would associate it with

I don't think we've had All-Star by Smashmouth yet. IIRC it was a tie in with the mostly forgotten Mystery Men. Guilty pleasure disclaimer - it's one of the few superhero-esque/-adjacent films that I like.

There's also Clint Mansell's Lux Aeterna whose fame and ubiquity has I think eclipsed that of Requiem for a Dream - I think it was even reworked in to one of the LOTR movies.

Edit: wasn't Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head originally done for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? I could be wrong but think it might have been a question in a pub quiz that I dimly remember.

I concur. Post reported.
Mystery Men is one of my most fave films of all time.

It's just....brilliant

And what a cast. Up there with another film that was a B(ish) movie that had an amazing cast - Galaxy Quest.

Galaxy Quest didn't have a famous song in it though.

Mystery Men is one of my most fave films of all time.

It's just....brilliant

And what a cast. Up there with another film that was a B(ish) movie that had an amazing cast - Galaxy Quest.

Agreed - both far better than the sum of their parts. GQ is the best of the two though, of course :)

Has anyone mentioned that horrific Bryan Adams track that was number one for [actual] forever? They were in the woods and it was all Robin Hood.

Does Bring The Noise count? It was on the Less Than Zero soundtrack long before it was on a Public Enemy lp

I quite liked it at the time. Have not watched for several years. A Flaming Carrot universe (set of films) would be more interesting than what I am seeing from DC and Marvel.

I think it's current cultural ubiquity is down to it featuring prominently in Shrek though, which is definitely the film most people would associate it with
One of the problems in this thread is not distinguishing between songs that had their own life and happen to be in films, and songs that were released specifically for the film itself. (Not necessarily written for - there's a lot of b-side material put out as soundtrack instead of getting a b-side release)

This playlist of mine includes TV and film songs, including two mentioned in this thread.

Your list contains a rare double call. Zou bisou is much more famous than The Millionairess the 1960 Sophia Loren film it featured in, but far less famous than Mad Men, where it was memorably sung in one episode by Jessica Pare, and I would say it's largely associated with that for most modern listeners.

Your list contains a rare double call. Zou bisou is much more famous than The Millionairess the 1960 Sophia Loren film it featured in, but far less famous than Mad Men, where it was memorably sung in one episode by Jessica Pare, and I would say it's largely associated with that for most modern listeners.

All I can say is Don was a fucking idiot.

Back
Top Bottom