Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kendrick Lamar v Drake: Ugly as rap beef

Am I wrong to assume this is just a load of made up marketing bullshit for people who are too young to remember Biggie v Tupac? I dunno it all just seems a bit contrived but I've better things to do than listen to a load of diss tracks by two artists I don't even particularly like.
for sure don't bother listening to music you don't like.

it is absolutely different to biggie and tupac due to the rapid response time afforded by the internet. they have also made loads of money for the homegrown video reactors, rather than a white-owned music industry, so that is a difference.

as regards who won: THE FANS as both of them have been putting out their best music in ages at speed.

I enjoy well-crafted political/conscious rap, but I find it strange that some people seem to apply ideological litmus tests to music. I'd rather play music that's technically accomplished and sounds good than mediocre songs whose lyrics I agree with any day.

That's an interesting either/or dichotomy. So 'technically accomplished' music never has good lyrics? I find that hard to believe. And IMO there's tons of dull, unimaginative, uninspiring music out there with lyrics to match.

Tbf there are plenty of musicians whose takes on Gaza I would rather not hear. Do we really need more ignorant, ill-informed opinions out there?

Other issues are available :)

There are already plenty of artists promoting ignorant and ill-informed opinions of different kinds. I'm wishing for more artists who would promote better ideas instead.

That's an interesting either/or dichotomy. So 'technically accomplished' music never has good lyrics? I find that hard to believe. And IMO there's tons of dull, unimaginative, uninspiring music out there with lyrics to match.

Of course its not a dichtomy. There are four options: (1) good lyrics*/good music, (2) bad lyrics**/good music, (3) good lyrics/bad music, (4) bad lyrics/bad music.

I was just saying that I'd pick (2) over (3) any day.

* shorthand here for 'lyrics that pass some ideological litmus test'.
** shorthand here for 'lyrics that fail some ideological litmus test'.

Of course its not a dichtomy. There are four options: (1) good lyrics*/good music, (2) bad lyrics**/good music, (3) good lyrics/bad music, (4) bad lyrics/bad music.

Fair enough, I'd pick 1 over all the others, any day. And I wish there was a lot more of it.

Having now got around to listening to most of the relevant songs, not all of the Drake songs are as boring as I usually think of Drake as being, but does feel like Lamar is pretty glaringly the more interesting artist. Although there's no accounting for taste and that I suppose.

Most people seem to calling it over

I can't imagine what would have been in kendrik's five other songs unless Drake was also secretly a shark with hitler's brain.

I'm with you on 2 over 3.

But then I'm a massive Nine Inch Nails fan.

1720034923945.jpeg
To break it down a little further i constructed a truth table on the four elements of good music, bad music, good lyric , bad lyric. It does not matter which is which if it is consistently applied. Science is quite chilled in this respect (as you would expect in a four-element t/t) science does not particularly want to get involved so we are left with secondary school level doggerel topping second hand beats

Back
Top Bottom