Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oceangate's Titan. The Bayesian yacht. Why do the deaths of rich people matter more than poor people?

I don't think it is being over reported, the news channels I watch seem to be being quite restrained.

Imagine finding yourself typing out those words.
Of course I don’t mean he made the money without the help of fellow colleagues & perhaps trodding on others along the way, my point was that he wasn’t born into wealth & came from a very humble background i.e wasn’t born into wealth

I think most people in this country find it easier to identify to identify with the people (and thus sympathise with) drowning on the yacht that those drowning on a migrant boat. It's easier to imagine themselves on the yacht than it is on the migrant boat.
If they thought about it then they would realise of course that finding themselves aboard a billionaire's yacht isn't any more likely than finding themselves aboard an overcrowded dinghy. But people like to imagine nice things happening to themselves rather than bad.
There's also the novelty factor here, it's not every day a billionaire drowns, the last large scale drowning of very rich people probably was the actual Titanic sinking. Migrants have drowned in large numbers in the Med and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Everyone knows it happens it just isn't news. (perhaps it should be but it isn't)

I think most people in this country find it easier to identify to identify with the people (and thus sympathise with) drowning on the yacht that those drowning on a migrant boat. It's easier to imagine themselves on the yacht than it is on the migrant boat.
If they thought about it then they would realise of course that finding themselves aboard a billionaire's yacht isn't any more likely than finding themselves aboard an overcrowded dinghy. But people like to imagine nice things happening to themselves rather than bad.
There's also the novelty factor here, it's not every day a billionaire drowns, the last large scale drowning of very rich people probably was the actual Titanic sinking. Migrants have drowned in large numbers in the Med and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. Everyone knows it happens it just isn't news. (perhaps it should be but it isn't)
Not with that attitude

Not wrong, but showing your arse
Do you find the truth unpleasant? You're right but that doesn't change it. The majority of people in this country aren't emotionally invested in either the deaths of the migrants or Mike Lynch and his family. However the number that are 'interested' in the latter exceeds the number that are 'interested' in stories of lost migrant boats. And in this age of internet clicks this can actually be measured. If people keep clicking on stories about yacht sinkings then the news will keep producing them.

I don't think it is being over reported, the news channels I watch seem to be being quite restrained.
You haven't been watching the same channels as me then. Even when sky wasn't reporting on it the screen was split in two showing real time of the sea!
It even took precedence over the family murdered in a house fire in Bradford on today's news.

I find it easier to imagine being on a migrant boat tbh

You haven't been watching the same channels as me then. Even when sky wasn't reporting on it the screen was split in two showing real time of the sea!
It even took precedence over the family murdered in a house fire in Bradford on today's news.
Oh, ok, well that would have irritated me too.

As it is I tend to have R4 on in the background. They have provided updates, at least that is what I have caught.

Do you find the truth unpleasant? You're right but that doesn't change it. The majority of people in this country aren't emotionally invested in either the deaths of the migrants or Mike Lynch and his family. However the number that are 'interested' in the latter exceeds the number that are 'interested' in stories of lost migrant boats. And in this age of internet clicks this can actually be measured. If people keep clicking on stories about yacht sinkings then the news will keep producing them.
The truth is that many more people don't have the wherewithal beyond their next pay and/or benefits cheque to distance themselves so completely from.the plight of migrants in boats. Most people aren't living comfortably. Most people are stretched to the limit of how to keep shelter, food and clothing. Most people aren't more interested in the plight of fucking Mike Lynch.

The truth is that many more people don't have the wherewithal beyond their next pay and/or benefits cheque to distance themselves so completely from.the plight of migrants in boats. Most people aren't living comfortably. Most people are stretched to the limit of how to keep shelter, food and clothing. Most people aren't more interested in the plight of fucking Mike Lynch.
I think most people do have enough to distance themselves from the plights of migrants. Even those in this country living hand to mouth in low paid jobs or on benefits are FAR better off than those aboard the dinghies. Worrying about paying the next electric bill isn't really in the same league as worrying about having your house bombed or your kids murdered.
As for Mike Lynch there is a difference between being interested and caring. I rather doubt anyone is going to bed and lying there thinking 'Oh God this is terrible'. Some may even be even thinking 'Serves the fucker right' but clearly people are interested in the story.

Last edited:
Yes he was rich. He wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth his parents were a fireman & a nurse from council estates in Ireland. Mike Lynch was a very clever men who did very well for himself without any outside help. He donated a lot of money to local causes in the towns in Ireland his parents came from. He did not come from money everything he made was made by him alone! The ignorance & bitterness on this site is something else
Haha. Fuck him and fuck the yacht he sunk on. :)

Back
Top Bottom