Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival 2012

Yes - I am going. I am looking forward to Saxon, Sir Lloyd, Channel One, King Tubbys and also the DnB one (can't remeber the name). I'll probably chill out with Gaz's rocking blues for an hour or so too.

Looking forward to it being a peaceful and happy carnival where I'll bump in to friends and eat some good food. :)

I am going! Missed it last year. Looking forward to Gladdy Wax, Gaz's Rockin Blues, Aba Shanti and maybe a bit of Mastermind Roadshow.

I shall also be eating three or four lunches, interspersed with various patties.

Not far off my agenda :D

Will take the nippers up on the Sunday, may fit in an adult day on the Monday. Will be greatly missing Jah Observer, now retired to Jamaica :(, but will substitute with a large dose of Channel One and see who gets Observer's spot.

Not far off my agenda :D

Will take the nippers up on the Sunday, may fit in an adult day on the Monday. Will be greatly missing Jah Observer, now retired to Jamaica :(, but will substitute with a large dose of Channel One and see who gets Observer's spot.
Solution have observers spot apparently.

Plan to do loads then get glued to a UKG soundsystem and promise myself to me more of the are just after this o....OMG 138 TREK.

Also do well to match hiccup in the eating stakes too!

What booze to bring though. Usually I take a few cans of beer and a hip flask of rum. I'm thinking I might go heavier on the rum and lighter on the beer this year. Going for a piss is always a hassle. And there's the whole evening to drink beer in a public house with convenient facilities anyway.

might take the little fellow along early on sunday... maybe 2 is a bit young though.
childrens-ear-defenders-kids-ear-muffs-kid-ear-protection-protectors-hearing.jpg
:cool:

What booze to bring though. Usually I take a few cans of beer and a hip flask of rum. I'm thinking I might go heavier on the rum and lighter on the beer this year. Going for a piss is always a hassle. And there's the whole evening to drink beer in a public house with convenient facilities anyway.

You'll get 3 red Stripe for a fiver at every front door for 10 square miles, which isn't too bad and probably easier than buying before and carrying around all day

I live slap bang in the middle of it so have no worries on that front though :)

might take the little fellow along early on sunday... maybe 2 is a bit young though.

This^

I'd not really thought about it, tbh, and the missus isn't a massive fan of carnival, but I reckon my daughter would love it. She really enjoyed the small area of Brixton Splash that we were hanging around the other weekend, and kept wanting to go closer to the speakers.

I doubt she'd keep those headphones on for a second though.

This^

I'd not really thought about it, tbh, and the missus isn't a massive fan of carnival, but I reckon my daughter would love it. She really enjoyed the small area of Brixton Splash that we were hanging around the other weekend, and kept wanting to go closer to the speakers.

I doubt she'd keep those headphones on for a second though.
we can go and be "festival dads" doing that awkward bobbing around dance with children on shoulders.

we can go and be "festival dads" doing that awkward bobbing around dance with children on shoulders.

Already done that. They can't run off and you've got a hand for your beer and another free.

I didn't do the dance though.

My neighbour and I were wondering if we are having a carnival this year. We live in the middle of the carnival area, and it has not been mentioned as far as we are aware.
Usually the council sends missives and warnings, but none have arrived to date.

I blame the Olympics.

Can't wait, have missed it the last cpl of years :( also :( about the mighty Jah Observer not being there, that's where I've always spent the majority of time.

A mates who lives in Kenal Rise is having a BBQ on the Monday so I'll prob' do Aba Shanti for a few hours and then stumble up to theirs.

My neighbour and I were wondering if we are having a carnival this year. We live in the middle of the carnival area, and it has not been mentioned as far as we are aware.

I blame the Olympics.

i vaguely remember hearing a thing about there being a gap between the olympics and paraolympics partly to accommodate the carnival (and other things, cant remember what). there will be carnival!

I blame the Olympics.

They are particularly useless on that front - the 'community meetings' are almost a work of secrecy and the 'residents guide' booklet is a rare find...If it wasn't for the parking suspension notices you wouldn't know it was going on!

Apparently a team will hose and degrease and clean your steps etc if revellers have left squashed rice n peas, rejected patties and plastic trays of chicken bones and skin everywhere. You have to book it in advance, though, which we have failed to do.

Definitely going and with my usual intent to wander around getting lost, missing all the good music, losing half of the people I go with and having a thoroughly good time.

I'm definitely going, but to join the chorus, beer is a no-no.... unless you like waiting in queues for the bogs, that is.

Last year was my best ever, especially the Sunday... just the right amount of people, I was able to walk from Gaz's rocking blues, to Aba Shanti in about 20 minutes (and the sun was shining, and they were playing Culture's "two sevens clash" as I got up there :D).

This year I'm going to try and not get really annoyed by people with backpacks.

I've never had a problem with toilets. Perhaps I've got a massive bladder or something.

Back
Top Bottom