Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

Wouldn't be the end of the world if it did but would probably put a lot more people off installing the app.

Aha.
Are people in authority permitted to ask to see your app status?
Assuming it will display your status?

I think it works by people who go to the doctors or hospital with symptoms are asked if they have the app and can they have the data.

Wouldn't be the end of the world if it did but would probably put a lot more people off installing the app.

Aha.
Are people in authority permitted to ask to see your app status?
Assuming it will display your status?
Well they can ask but there's no law that says you have to let them look at what's on your phone. (Not in this instance anyway.)

I think it works by people who go to the doctors or hospital with symptoms are asked if they have the app and can they have the data.
As far as I understand it if you have a positive test you enter the code into the app and then it will do notifications to people who were in close contact - all on an anonymous basis. So nobody can actually tell whether or not you need to isolate apart from you.

This may be a silly question.

Say person A tests positive, their app informs person B with whom person A spent more than 15 minutes in the last day or so that they should self isolate.

Say I (person C) spent more than 15 minutes with person B yesterday (person B not person A) would I also be contacted and asked to self isolate? How deep does it go?

This may be a silly question.

Say person A tests positive, their app informs person B with whom person A spent more than 15 minutes in the last day or so that they should self isolate.

Say I (person C) spent more than 15 minutes with person B yesterday (person B not person A) would I also be contacted and asked to self isolate? How deep does it go?

Ditto. Go and read the advice website, some of this might help you understand this.

Short answer; no person C doesn't isolate unless person B tests positive and C had been a close contact of theirs while B was infectious.

As far as I understand it if you have a positive test you enter the code into the app and then it will do notifications to people who were in close contact - all on an anonymous basis. So nobody can actually tell whether or not you need to isolate apart from you.

That's my understanding of it. They do actually say somewhere on the privacy notice (IIRC) that in some circumstances you might be able to work out who has generated the alert, but presumably that applies mainly to those who might only spend time with one or two people in a fortnight, who probably won't need an app to work out who the contact might have been anyway.

Reactions: LDC
the qr code for checking in is enormous, but allows you to check in from quite some distance away. Seems to have got pretty wide spread support at pubs. It’s just a small tool to use against the virus.
It’s fully anonymous, it runs, hard to tell if it’s doing the job as it doesn’t tell you much. I’d like a gui to show all the people it picked up and where.

Edit to add: No problems with my battery, had it for a about a week. iPhone X

Last edited:
Morning all. I had a notification this morning via the app saying some one close to me tested positive. I clicked on it and it sent me to the app but the app appears just the same and the notification has gone. The app shows it communicated with me 26 mins ago.

How do I access the notification?

I saw somethimg from the covid app flash up on sunday morning but it was so quick i didn't get a chance to read it. I assume it was one of these false alarm bugs.

To clarify - is that the false alarm people have been getting? Either way it’s not telling me to self-isolate. No further info on app.

I think that’s a halfway false alarm - it’s telling you it’s assessing a possible exposure, but if it’s not telling you to isolate, with a countdown timer and all the gubbins, so you can ignore it. Or it might be a full on ‘testing’ actual false alarm. Either way you’re safe to ignore, apparently there’s no mistaking when you’re supposed to isolate.

e2a: this short thread seems to explain it:

Reactions: Cid
Any particular reason for that thought?

Not enough people will install it to make it effective, they are probably keeping all the metadata in an excel file, it's already sending phantom alerts, there is a fucking horrible 'check in' functionality that is way beyond what other countries are doing. Off the top of my head.

Why would it send what amount to worrying false alarms to people? It's meant to be serious not pokemon hunter.

Why would it send what amount to worrying false alarms to people? It's meant to be serious not pokemon hunter.

It's down to Apple and Google.

It appears that this again may be connected to the Apple-Google system, which sometimes sends out what are called exposure notifications. Here's what the FAQ from the app team says about this issue:

"These are default messages from Apple and Google. There is no need to be concerned if you miss or overlook them, they are just visible to remind you that the functionality is on and working. You're currently not able to turn off these default Apple and Google notifications.

"Important messages from the NHS Covid-19 app will always be visible to you from inside the app."

Back
Top Bottom