Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

I had the same problem today, and I was using the NHS app. Tried three times and each time it said it couldn't read it. Didn't work on my friend's phone either, so it was a fault with the code. They didn't remember to take our details and we forgot to remind them. OTOH we were sitting nowhere near anyone except each other and kept our masks on when talking to the waitress.

I always turn it off when at home. I don't know how likely it is that it'll show up someone next door or anything like that, but there doesn't seem any point risking being told to isolate for something that genuinely isn't a risk at all.

I distrust the Government. I distrust their competency and I distrust them with the data.

I distrust the government. The data concern has been addressed for me, and the collective benefits outweigh the possible personal disadvantages. And if you use other apps, Google, and the internet generally then it's a bit of a misplaced and illogical worry I think.

I distrust the Government. I distrust their competency and I distrust them with the data.
FWIW, I am a massive data privacy freak (as well as obviously thinking the government have no fucking clue at all, though any sensible person thinks that) and actually can't find anything particularly wrong with the app, and neither apparently can all the other data privacy freak people and groups who I follow, which I actually find really surprising - they would have absolutely jumped on anything at all :hmm: the point being that it doesn't send any personal data anywhere. I have a lot of issues with other systems they've set up but this really does seem to me to be properly done.

I'm not in the business of convincing people, I'm not on commission, but that was my verdict. I have it on my own phone and I don't even have a Clubcard.

They need to be printed well or on an official poster, if they're just a bad photocopy they might well not work. Tell the venue.

It looked like an official poster - don't know why it didn't work.

Was surprised about paying at the counter too. I suppose for that particular venue it didn't make much difference - you're not going to have people queuing like in a pub, but it still would have felt safer to have the waitress come to us.

QR codes are designed to be robustly machine-readable under all sorts of circumstances. If they're not obscured by something but an app still refuses to read them, I'd guess either (a) the app is bust or (b) the QR code has been printed wrong.

QR codes are designed to be robustly machine-readable under all sorts of circumstances. If they're not obscured by something but an app still refuses to read them, I'd guess either (a) the app is bust or (b) the QR code has been printed wrong.

I wouldn't put it past some venues to have a QR code that "accidentally" didn't work. Not this place so much, but I could see it happening.

I wouldn't put it past some venues to have a QR code that "accidentally" didn't work. Not this place so much, but I could see it happening.
Even before the app, a place I went to used to put a login QR code where a vine would constantly fall in front of it :facepalm: I used to try to helpfully move the vine out of the way each time before I realised nobody else was logging in anyway.

Just using my iPhone and a notification came up saying something about covid and possible contact with someone. Unfortunately I swiped the screen before reading it properly and it has gone.

The covid app has no message. There is no way to recover the notification it seems!

Sounds like it could be this?

Just using my iPhone and a notification came up saying something about covid and possible contact with someone. Unfortunately I swiped the screen before reading it properly and it has gone.

The covid app has no message. There is no way to recover the notification it seems!
I had something similar the other day. I hadn’t been in close contact with anyone for a couple of days, so presumably it decided it wasn’t a problem. Not sure what the point of the alert was, or why it doesn’t show up on the app :facepalm:

The exact same happened to me earlier this evening.
Don‘t want to link to it but I have just found an article in The Daily Heil that states that it was an unannounced test.

ETA Just seen Winot’s post.

Sounds like it could be this?

Mrs says heard something about this on the Today programme yesterday morning, that Google and Apple were sending out some sort of proximity alerts which weren't instructions to isolate.

She wasn't listening properly so couldn't remember exactly what was said, but the reporter was Rory Cellan Jones and she thinks it was at about 7am if anyone wants to search on iPlayer.

This might also explain what Orang Utan's boss was talking about.

Hmm, if you are sent a recommendation / instruction to self isolate, your phone GPS, Bluetooth, local cells, will know if you keep moving about and are not in fact isolating.

Does it do anything with this information?

Hmm, if you are sent a recommendation / instruction to self isolate, your phone GPS, Bluetooth, local cells, will know if you keep moving about and are not in fact isolating.

Does it do anything with this information?

No. It doesn't have access to location data.

Reactions: LDC
Mrs says heard something about this on the Today programme yesterday morning, that Google and Apple were sending out some sort of proximity alerts which weren't instructions to isolate.

She wasn't listening properly so couldn't remember exactly what was said, but the reporter was Rory Cellan Jones and she thinks it was at about 7am if anyone wants to search on iPlayer.

This might also explain what Orang Utan's boss was talking about.
Aye, asked them and they said the notifications were taking them straight to the app and disappearing with no further information about self-isolation. I think genuine alerts provide more info .

Back
Top Bottom