Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NHS Covid 19 App

I’ve had a negative test and the app asks for the code from the notification to enter my test result but I don’t have one. So the app is still telling me to isolate for another 6 days.
Is it only positives that get entered?

Maybe, but it wasn't the app that actually found out they'd been in contact, via check-ins and so on, it was the sister.
I think the point here is that, if your sister had not been the sort of person to be honest and upfront, the app would have provided a second line of defence.

Not everyone is going to be as honest and upfront as your sister was with you.

I think the point here is that, if your sister had not been the sort of person to be honest and upfront, the app would have provided a second line of defence.

Not everyone is going to be as honest and upfront as your sister was with you.

Not my sister, but that's assuming a lot about what the app would have noticed. It didn't clock that I'd been next to two people who tested positive, despite me checking in with the app.

She probably told them she'd been in contact with you. That's how I was contacted. I only passed on my daughter's details because she was the only one that I'd seen but my contact hadn't.

Six of us went out a couple of weeks ago, and four of us have now tested positive. The other two don't have symptoms but I've suggested they pretend they do in order to get a test, like I did.
The track and trace team followed up with a phone call yesterday basically reminding me I have to stay indoors, followed by an email saying the same thing. It's 5 days since I saw my sister , she has symptoms , I don't, yet.

The track and trace team followed up with a phone call yesterday basically reminding me I have to stay indoors, followed by an email saying the same thing. It's 5 days since I saw my sister , she has symptoms , I don't, yet.

Yes, since my test result they have been phoning and texting me loads. I get so many texts from them I feel quite popular :D When I didn't fill in the online form about contacts quickly enough, because it kept crashing, they phoned to get the details instead. That part's been quite well done.

Are you going to try to get a test? Might as well if you're isolating anyway.

Way to make me look stupid, app :mad:

Sorry, I was pretty sure it didn't used to do that eg NHS Covid 19 App but now we definitely know I guess.
😄
No you were right in that I couldn’t enter the result myself but didn’t think I’d booked the test through the app. I think if you book through the app it updates itself but it hadn’t at that point.

Yes, since my test result they have been phoning and texting me loads. I get so many texts from them I feel quite popular :D When I didn't fill in the online form about contacts quickly enough, because it kept crashing, they phoned to get the details instead. That part's been quite well done.

Are you going to try to get a test? Might as well if you're isolating anyway.
I'll leave it for a few days see if any symptoms emerge

I’m self-isolating but have had no notifications. Probably cos i seem to be the only person at work who uses the app.

I have spent a long time not installing the app, but having read this entire thread I've finally taken the move to do so.

The reasons I was avoiding it were:
  • Shit 1st app with privacy concerns
  • General inaction on the part of the govt making it seem that we don't have the foundations running to make the information the app provides actually useful (ease of testing, etc.)
  • "Open source" app that can't be compiled into something that works (I have tried compiling the app in android studio and it seems that without dockerising my own local version of the govt hosted server I can't). There are issues on github highlighting this. I didn't spend excessive time working on it so can't confirm this assumption with certainty.
  • An unwillingness to be part of the first wave of testers due to my lack of faith and wanting to hear from some privacy experts (I've now been convinced that they are pretty much following the Apple/Google protocol which is private by design)
  • General Malaise
  • Working from home and rarely leaving the house

It does seem that, albeit no where near enough on its' own, the decentralised Apple/Google protocol (that I already knew about, but with how the govt has handled everything didn't trust their implementation) is an easy and fairly safe way of protecting people around me. I dispair of not being able to install the app by compiling from build, but this privacy risk is less than minimal. The added protection it gives not just me, but people I come into contact with too, seems worth the tradeoff.

Finally an observation about QR code problems:

All stuff you've read about needlessly upping the density is true. The density factor only really exists for the sake of parts of the QR being covered or damaged (when used for shipping info, for example). In this use case it's much better to have a clear and simple one.

For those still having problems, one important factor with QR codes is that, while they can handle some missing information, there are important parts that must always be present. The clear squares you see in three corners of a QR must always be visibe, as well as (I think?) the remaining smaller square in the final corner. These are registration marks that gives the reader spatial information about the alignment of the QR, which will then be used to parse the information it holds. If you try and scan a QR and any of these corner blocks aren't visible, no QR reader will recognise it as a valid QR.

This information really should be made more available, as people who don't understand how these codes work will be easily caught out by it.

So, I just came through from putting the kids to bed and saw my phone was flashing with a message. I have a look and there's a message from the tracking app...

YOU HAVE BEEN IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) AND YOU NEED TO SELF ISOLATE.

Oh fuck I think to myself, running through in my head how to cancel the next week. So I click on the 'I Understand' button and:

20201210_202904.jpg

I need to self isolate until midnight tonight??!?

At first I thought there must be some mistake, but it seems the app calculates how long since you had the contact and only makes you isolate for the remaining 'at risk' period. I guess I was with someone days ago who's taken a while to get ill, get tested and then for the alert to come through. It's a bit fucking shit that I should've been self isolating all week and I only find out three and a half hours before the end of the isolation period.

I feel fine (touch wood). I'll make the most of the next three hours at home self isolating.

So, I just came through from putting the kids to bed and saw my phone was flashing with a message. I have a look and there's a message from the tracking app...

YOU HAVE BEEN IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) AND YOU NEED TO SELF ISOLATE.

Oh fuck I think to myself, running through in my head how to cancel the next week. So I click on the 'I Understand' button and:

View attachment 242722

At first I thought there must be some mistake, but it seems the app calculates how long since you had the contact and only makes you isolate for the remaining 'at risk' period. I guess I was with someone days ago who's taken a while to get ill, get tested and then for the alert to come through. It's a bit fucking shit that I should've been self isolating all week and I only find out three and a half hours before the end of the isolation period.

I feel fine (touch wood). I'll make the most of the next three hours at home self isolating.
It'll be a challenge, it's a lonely thing to go through, but try not to accidentally go out to the shop until tomorrow morning.

View attachment 242722

Yeah, I posted something about this in the 'personal consequences' thread. It's not entirely uncommon from what I've heard, although 1 day is quite rare! There's a load of places where the delay could have come; the original contact's test, their use or the app or not, their willingness to provide their contacts details, T&T being able to get through to them, etc. It does mean you're almost certainly in the clear re: being infected or infectious though when you got that!

Back
Top Bottom