Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next gen Xbox: rumours, speculations, wild pipe dreams!

From there point of view to make it any kind of success it does need to be bundled so there is enough user base to make it worth developing for.

However for games that don't need it the console should still work if it's not plugged in.

Probably should have asked if there was a demand for this product then.

It's a bit like selling a motorbike with a sidecar. Useful for those that want it but for those that don't its an unnecessary cost
MS still Need to backpedal on the price.

If they make the camera optional they could probably chop £80-100 off

I tend to agree, but wonder how much it will cost to make once production starts? Even the cheapest laptops have a web cam and whilst it's a bit more sophisticated the real clever stuff is done by software.

I tend to agree, but wonder how much it will cost to make once production starts? Even the cheapest laptops have a web cam and whilst it's a bit more sophisticated the real clever stuff is done by software.
As far as we can tell, it's its own little computer this time round, which is why it can always be listening for "Xbox On" to power up the main console.

its an extra that the people that play games don't want.

I can only think they are including it in the hope that someone can come up with something novel that works well. Otherwise we are talking quite an extra outlay for something that nobody uses.

Part of the problem is that its an all or nothing affair, you either play with kinect or you play with the controller, combining them would be of interest, like foot pedals for driving games but not exclusively so, quite limited and having all the body do stuff like that might take some serious practice.

The thing is, it doesn't really seem like it's meant for gamers anyway.

If the patents MS filed are anything to go by it seems like they may have already found a novel use.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...04".PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904

A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

Not sure how that would work in the UK but I imagine the BBC would love it

As somebody who isn't going to buying one, at least for a good few years I find it quite interesting. The original kinnect hype excited me and I think there is unexplored potential in the tech. It's not going to replace core gaming but it could spawn some interesting indie stuff, cheap apps you play with your mates when you get back from the pub. By including it with every Xbox they guarantee developers that people will be able the play it without buying an expensive extra, so increase the chances for some decent titles.

*feels smug he didn't preorder*

Still sticking to my usual plan with consoles. Wait till all next gen consoles are out and evaluate them against each other.

I feel sorry for the xblock software developers. All those extra hours of work required and still the ps4 will dominate!

I feel sorry for the xblock software developers. All those extra hours of work required and still the ps4 will dominate!

It's far too early to say that. Don't underestimate the importance of their dominance in the west with the current generation.

Yeah, still quite a few top titles for the 360 to come out in the next 2 years so the current gen is still king and will be for some time yet.

It's far too early to say that. Don't underestimate the importance of their dominance in the west with the current generation.

Are they dominant in the west? They sold the fewest consoles.

e2a, actually that might be bollocks, I'm looking at very old data.

360 dominates USA and UK. Everywhere else is Playstation country.
Not counting the Wii, of course, cos it's not a real console, amirite?:D

Does it though, the only recent data I can find suggests the PS3 has now outsold the Xbox, but that data is for worldwide sales. Much older data that's broken down by region has them pretty much neck-and-neck.

I agree we're not counting the Wii, it's miles ahead - it's the keenly contested battle for first loser we're talking about here.

Yeah I wouldn't mind adverts if they dropped the sub model, paying to play online and being blasted with ads is a piss take...

Yeah I wouldn't mind adverts if they dropped the sub model, paying to play online and being blasted with ads is a piss take...

Just recently got a PS3....what an ad-free breath of fresh air after what the 360 turned into. Such a shame, as it started out so well.

Microsoft are now doing a good impression of a merry go round.

Yet another u-turn regarding indie games. They are now allowed when they were saying it was big publishers only.

If they carry on like this it will be white, called the Xbox 365, play ps3 games and come with a DVD entitled 'how to take it up the arse and enjoy it'.

MS are very lucky they are up against Sony and not someone who knew what they were doing.

Back
Top Bottom