Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next gen Xbox: rumours, speculations, wild pipe dreams!

Never have I been less excited about a new console generation all round. I'm just not seeing anything worth getting excited about.

I already wasn't that bothered about 360 graphics over PS2 but it was nice to have HD, so that was something. But at least the 360 offered a new all-round experience, being properly online integrated. And at least the 360 offered (supposedly) improved AI, more happening on the screen and so forth (although the AI promise never materialised IMO).

What does the Bone or the PS4 genuinely offer over the 360, other than the next (and unnecessary) leap in graphics? Where is the new game design? N64, PS1 and Dreamcast brought 3D games (eg Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Crazy Taxi), PS2 and Xbox took that to a whole new level (eg Shadow of the Colossus, Halo), PS3 and 360 took it online (eg COD series). What is the Bone and the PS4 going to do? Until it can answer that question, I'm just not interested.

Meanwhile, I'm several hundred hours into Pokemon X and accelerating. Now that's how you do a game.

Indies are where the gameplay innovation is happening.

Also, VR is going to transform the industry. First on PC, but there's strong rumours of Sony developing a headset for PS4.

Indies are where the gameplay innovation is happening.
Yeah, but I don't need an upgraded box for that. Indy games don't require anything like that much power. The only reason to go next gen is if and when the Indies abandon the current gen.

Even then, I don't really feel like Indy titles excite me, heresy as it might be. I like the AAA, but that quality applied to something new and/or interesting. Demanding, I know. But that's what it's going to take to kickstart me these days.

Also, VR is going to transform the industry. First on PC, but there's strong rumours of Sony developing a headset for PS4.
I cautiously agree, I think, but it's not hard to make the case that VR is going to be no more successful than 3D. It's very hardcore. You have to immerse yourself in it, and that creates a barrier to simple pick up-and-play.

With the leap in processing and GPU power comes better graphics yes, but also physics modelling. I think it will be a year or two before the new consoles are truly utilised to their full potential.

A lot of the game studios had reached the technical limit of what they could do with 7 year old hardware. A few of the new features I do like. Such as multitasking and idle patch and update downloads.

Never have I been less excited about a new console generation all round. I'm just not seeing anything worth getting excited about.

I already wasn't that bothered about 360 graphics over PS2 but it was nice to have HD, so that was something. But at least the 360 offered a new all-round experience, being properly online integrated. And at least the 360 offered (supposedly) improved AI, more happening on the screen and so forth (although the AI promise never materialised IMO).

What does the Bone or the PS4 genuinely offer over the 360, other than the next (and unnecessary) leap in graphics? Where is the new game design? N64, PS1 and Dreamcast brought 3D games (eg Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Crazy Taxi), PS2 and Xbox took that to a whole new level (eg Shadow of the Colossus, Halo), PS3 and 360 took it online (eg COD series). What is the Bone and the PS4 going to do? Until it can answer that question, I'm just not interested.

Meanwhile, I'm several hundred hours into Pokemon X and accelerating. Now that's how you do a game.

Get a Wii U :D

I LOVE mine!

With the leap in processing and GPU power comes better graphics yes, but also physics modelling. I think it will be a year or two before the new consoles are truly utilised to their full potential.
That's what they said last time. I'm not sure how much difference it really made. Either way, however, I struggle to see how even more particle effects and ragdoll physics is going to transform the gaming experience. They can already model every bloody ball bearing in a car.

A lot of the game studios had reached the technical limit of what they could do with 7 year old hardware. A few of the new features I do like. Such as multitasking and idle patch and update downloads.
Everybody always reaches the limits in the end, but what are the marginal gains they can get at this point? What are they going to do that is going to actually freshen the experience rather than just be a bit more oomph to an explosion?

In short, is this technical leap going to give us Citizen Kane, or is it just going to be Die Hard with a Vengence?

Get a Wii U :D

I LOVE mine!
And what does that offer, other than another Mario game? I never even finished the first Wii Mario and didn't bother buying the second one.

I have another whole separate list of problems with Nintendo, but this isn't really the thread for it.

To get back to the discussion, rather than terrible sequels, have a look at this video.

It showcases what is possible with a game engine these days. Stuff like Dynamic events and weather effects that can be seen by all players at the same time is nothing short of amazing. Personally, I think this adds to the immersion the player experiences.

And the fact that if I have a tablet I can sit in my local pub and play commander mode for BF4, with my mates, who are all playing on their consoles. Plus I can have the game map up and displayed next to me whilst playing at home on my console. So it's bringing the "second screen" element to the consoles.

To get back to the discussion, rather than terrible sequels, have a look at this video.

It showcases what is possible with a game engine these days. Stuff like Dynamic events and weather effects that can be seen by all players at the same time is nothing short of amazing. Personally, I think this adds to the immersion the player experiences.

And the fact that if I have a tablet I can sit in my local pub and play commander mode for BF4, with my mates, who are all playing on their consoles. Plus I can have the game map up and displayed next to me whilst playing at home on my console. So it's bringing the "second screen" element to the consoles.

And what does that offer, other than another Mario game? I never even finished the first Wii Mario and didn't bother buying the second one.

I have another whole separate list of problems with Nintendo, but this isn't really the thread for it.

Well if you don't like Mario, you're fucked :D

Saying that, Super Mario 3D World (out tomorrow) looks like it's the prettiest and most fun game released this year! A million times better than anything on Xbone or PS4 for sure, and it does 1080p at 60fps ;) :

Other things I like about Wii U....Zelda games!, the amazing and lovely Miiverse, the browser, The Wonderful 101, Earthbound! Making and sharing drawings with Art Academy sketchpad, Wii Fit U, Google Street, Virtual Console. The sequel Xenoblade is coming! :D It gets constant use in our house, though I do play Battlefield 4 on PS3.

Ok, don't want to derail the thread but I Just had a 'moment' o the Wii U. My son has been playing Wonderful 101 and posted the following to Miiverse on his own...he'd finished a level and wrote this ("I did it"). Nintendo magic right there, everything i love about Wii U and Nintendo.

zlCfzRKpgRkKrCwRsO.png

He also posted other things, all on his own without my knowledge. This drawing of Mario in the NSMBU community:

mzlCfzRNKfoMc2rL7qI.png

...and this drawing of a Pikmin in the Pikmin Community :

pzlCfzRE7vsUQ1vgy3a.png

Seriously, brought a tear of joy to my eye.

Nintendo was always synonymous with innovation. Now they bring us another Zelda game and another Mario game and we all clap our hands.

That looks like another beat-em-up with somewhat fresh mechanics. But fundamentally similar to Power Stone 2, which I was playing on the Dreamcast almost 15 years ago.

I think you are missing my point. What's going to get me interested in a new console isn't better graphics with a nicer interface or a new mechanic. It's a quantum shift in the nature of the experience. I want something that engages me emotionally. Anything else, well, I already have 1000 unplayed hours on 100 games on my shelf. I don't need more of them.

Yeah, but I think we're talking cross-purposes. I'm asking what the new consoles will do that existing ones won't. Like, where's the exciting reason to upgrade? I'm just not seeing it right now.

I'm fine with better graphics being the reason why people want to, or feel the need to, upgrade. What winds me up is the misuse of the word innovation. I blame mobile phone fanboys primarily, but game fanboys have to take their share of the blame, too.

(((meaning)))

Back
Top Bottom