Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Big fan of Outlast too - it's almost impossible to turn off at the end of an episode - 'Will they let him in?', 'Will her leg fall off?' - I always have to watch at least the first 5 minutes of the next episode and then turn it off - and I watch it solo...
I'm absolutely positive I could win this. :D

Enjoyed Rebel Ridge. Good harmless fun that kept us engaged pretty much all the way through but for some clunky and unnecessary plot explanation in the middle. Aaron Pierre is good.
I think it's number 1 in their top 10 most popular at the moment.

Corrupt cops getting their asses whupped. What's not to like.

And yes, Aaron Pierre was good. I've literally just Googled him to find out what else he's been in to look it up and watch it... Wait, what? He's English!?!?!? He was in Old. I saw a trailer for that on C4 the other night. Made a mental note to watch it on catch up, but I've just checked now and it's not available. Grrr!

Another thumbs-up here for Rebel Ridge. For a subgenre that has been done to death a million times over, this turned out to be a surprisingly gripping and enjoyable flick :)

It's clearly a genre movie of modest ambition, but it more than achieved those ambitions. I particularly enjoyed how, whilst it wended its way through various well-established - dare I say clichéd - plot points, it navigated between them via refreshingly different routes.

I’ve just finished Kaos and, as someone who has previously fallen into rabbit holes of Feminist and Other Modern Retellings of these myths, it was so far up my street that I’d bring it a welcome pack and sign up to Nextdoor. I think the significant deviations from the original stories are more than justified because a) it’s possibly the only way of squishing so many story strands together and b) the societies they’re told in are very different. If the retelling wasn’t heavily altered then Zeus and Poseidon would be far too rapey for modern audiences and most of the women would have much less agency. Plus there are glimmers of the original stories in there, from the motivational (Theseus using Ariadne fancying him to get her to betray her father) to the metaphorical (Orpheus’ looking back at Eurydice after the underworld being linked to him losing her).

Goldblum was sublimely cast as Zeus and personally I found Rizwan’s Dionysus hot as fuck. Ariadne will be a lucky mortal next season. Although RIP Dennis the cat. :(

Enjoyed it as much as Ragnerok (the Norwegian teen drama also on Netflix rather than the Marvel outing), although in very different ways.

Another keen endorsement here for Rebel Ridge. Really enjoyed it, despite the heavy exposition and it made a refreshing change seeing ‘less-lethal’ action like that. I’ve seen Saulnier’s earlier film, Green Room, which has some much deadlier scenes of sickening violence but Saulnier employs violence in a much more measured and thoughtful way than is usual for violent action.
Keen to see Blue Ruin and Hold The Dark now, as I am mighty impressed (I think the latter may still be on Netflix)

BTW I ended up reading this article on civil forfeiture after watching Rebel Ridge cos I didn’t quite believe it, but yes they can fucking do that:

BTW I ended up reading this article on civil forfeiture after watching Rebel Ridge cos I didn’t quite believe it, but yes they can fucking do that:
thats one of the themes in cormac mccarthy's last book

I was looking forward to the new drama about the Menendez case which was released yesterday, but it's 9 fucking episodes and I'm starting to find long overblown series about things that could be covered in a much more concise way to be quite offputting.

Giving it a go anyway.

Yeah, it's a thing. I think it's been a plot device in something else, but I think that kind of thing has also been a thing uncovered by investigative journalism, iirc,

I was looking forward to the new drama about the Menendez case which was released yesterday, but it's 9 fucking episodes and I'm starting to find long overblown series about things that could be covered in a much more concise way to be quite offputting.

Giving it a go anyway.
Ryan Murphy is behind it, so expect addictively trashy fare!

Ryan Murphy is behind it, so expect addictively trashy fare!
Ah OK it just clicked that it's part of a series with the Dahmer one with Evan Peters in the main role that I thought was excellent.
I think this is pretty well done so far. I'll watch the rest soon :)

Back
Top Bottom