Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Loved Kleo. Just be aware that it's ludicrous. There's zero effort put into making it even slightly believable.

Terminator Zero is fun, but holy hell the character that argues for humanity... "What good have humans done?" and he's like... shrug yeh, we suck. Due credit for handling the complexities of time travel better than the films did though.

Last edited:
Enjoying Kaos, mainly cos I enjoy watching Jeff Goldblum enjoying himself and I covet his wardrobe. I WANT TO BE JEFF GOLDBLUM.
It also has a well-chosen soundtrack with some excellent needle drop moments. Anhnoni & The Johnsons’ Kiss My Name took me by surprise. Never heard it before. What a beautiful song.
The rest of it is claptrap, but enjoyable all the same.
He is a joy to behold isn't he?

Well I'm thoroughly enjoying Kaos whether it's keeping strictly to the actual myths or not. It looks great and it's got some great people in it. Janet Mcteer for one. And I always do a little cheer whenever I see Ramon Tikaram.
There are so many wildly differing versions of the Greek Myths that I reckon it's in keeping to use artistic licence in a modern retelling.

There are so many wildly differing versions of the Greek Myths that I reckon it's in keeping to use artistic licence in a modern retelling.
It’s not that it’s “wrong”, it’s that it’s a missed opportunity. The mythology around Caenis, for example, is absolutely perfectly for a modern retelling (look it up). Instead, they just used the name and lost that opportunity.

Finished Supacell this afternoon, I enjoyed it a lot.

We've watched the first episode of Kaos, seems like it might be moderately entertaining tosh although I'm not convinced that it won't quickly become very irritating indeed.

It’s not that it’s “wrong”, it’s that it’s a missed opportunity. The mythology around Caenis, for example, is absolutely perfectly for a modern retelling (look it up). Instead, they just used the name and lost that opportunity.
I felt Caenis' story was a good example of them modernising it - they didn't jut use the name, they explicitly referenced the character's transmasculinity - there are several trans actors/characters in Kaos, but his example is particularly apt. Only 4 episodes in, mind, so maybe they fucked it up

To be fair, as I said before, I am judging it before I’ve watched enough of it to see where it really goes. I should watch it all first, really!

To be fair, as I said before, I am judging it before I’ve watched enough of it to see where it really goes. I should watch it all first, really!
Me too.
Coincidentally, I am reading Robert Graves’ The Greek Myths, and getting a bit bogged down with all the different versions he mentions, so this series is quite a refreshing contrast.

Oh god, just tried to watch the Perfect Couple. It’s actively shite. Really, really awful. I haven’t seen a daytime soap that bad. Not even Dakota Fanning’s presence can save it.

I didn’t even get as far as finding out who died. I don’t give a fuck.

Thinking of watching it? Don’t.

Apollo 13: Survival - if you are in any way interested in the subject matter, this is worth a watch - a new (2024) feature length documentary film using a lot of footage, photographs and audio recordings, with good explanations about what went wrong and how the crew survived.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just watched Mountain Queen.

Sherpa woman climbs Everest while struggling with the demons of her past.

Maybe not one to watch if you don't like dealing with domestic violence etc - but this is one of the best things I've seen on netflix.
This is absolutely excellent. Can't recommend highly enough.

I am not that keen on Westerns but I quite liked 'Wyatt Earp and the Cowboy War'. It is interspersed with comments by historians about the background to the gunfight at the OK corral.
I don't know how accurate they are, but entertaining anyway.

A riff on Catcher in the Rye / John Lennon murder?

You could look at it like that, but I hadn't given it much thought. The film depicts the event in the past, it remains unseen, and the motivations of the shooter are not explored in much detail. It's more about the cat and mouse game that is happening in the present for the writer who has dropped out of society and trying to live a quiet life until these letters begin arriving.

I rewatched Better Call Saul again. it’s fucking fantastic.

Im a huge Breaking Bad fan so of course im gonna like BCS but for some reason it really captivated me much more this time round.

it basically because a Breaking Bad prequel from season 2/3 but the story lines are much more complex. I think it might be better than BB.

Big fan of Outlast too - it's almost impossible to turn off at the end of an episode - 'Will they let him in?', 'Will her leg fall off?' - I always have to watch at least the first 5 minutes of the next episode and then turn it off - and I watch it solo...

Back
Top Bottom