Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Ultimately, Netflix cancels shows because they judge that not enough people got to the end of the series to justify its cost. Kaos was an expensive show to make and even on this thread alone, a lot of people gave up on it before the end.

ETA: to clarify, one of the ways that people never get to the end of a series, of course, is that they never start the series…

Last edited:
Ultimately, Netflix cancels shows because they judge that not enough people got to the end of the series to justify its cost. Kaos was an expensive show to make and even on this thread alone, a lot of people gave up on it before the end.

Tend to watch all the way until the bitter end of a series. If there was to be a second season, would only have tuned in because the better half enjoyed what went before.

I just saw Behind Her Eyes. 6 part miniseries. British backdrop.
Crazy twists. Worth watching
Oh god I love that, it's completely bonkers (I mean people who are put off by supernatural type stuff shouldn't bother) but really well done - I'm glad you got to see it and enjoyed it as much as I did :)
I also love the main actors in it, they are each superb in their own way.

Oh god I love that, it's completely bonkers (I mean people who are put off by supernatural type stuff shouldn't bother) but really well done - I'm glad you got to see it and enjoyed it as much as I did :)
I also love the main actors in it, they are each superb in their own way.
That's the second netflix series I've seen with eve Hewson in a lead role. She's great. Not well known in US, I think...

All kidding aside, I wonder if the cancellation had anything to do with the type of viewers who put paid to the likes of The Acolyte?

I do feel sorry for those who invested time in these shows, even though not a huge fan of Kaos. Was well pissed off The OA never got another season and more recently, the rather magnificent Outer Range was stopped in its tracks.
Yes, that was a shame, I thought it was good and it was really intriguing.

And so we’re left with yet another series where their decision to leave it on a cliffhanger rather than give it a satisfying end has now resulted in an unfinished story. For that decision alone, they deserved to be cancelled. Fuck these manipulative attempts to keep people stuck watching the same programme for season after season. Tell your story, be done with it, then tell another one if you’re lucky enough to get recommissioned! Who would you recommend Kaos to now, even if you really loved it? Nobody, because you’d be setting them up to be forever unsatisfied.

Yes. Of course, this.

On the other hand, the second series of a programme that was told and concluded in the first series is likely to be dreadful. Russian Doll springs to mind. Ensemble pieces like the Wire or Sopranos are safer, of course.

I have a to-be-watched list based on recommendations from Urban and newspapers. There has been nothing from Netflix on it all year!

Yes. Of course, this.

On the other hand, the second series of a programme that was told and concluded in the first series is likely to be dreadful. Russian Doll springs to mind. Ensemble pieces like the Wire or Sopranos are safer, of course.
You can leave some interesting threads to pull on if the second series gets commissioned, even if you wrap up your primary plot. If your characters are interesting enough, they’ll stand a recapitulation of their themes, or support a second plot. If they’re not interesting enough, they’ll not be interesting in a second series regardless.

Buffy was the template for this. Each season had a magnificent self-contained arc. But there was always enough there to create a new arc next time too. Seven seasons.

Anyone else noticed the Netflix "Dun Duuun" sound has been slightly updated recently.
What a weird request, or was there a complete sounds system update and it was easier to make a new one than find or use the original sounds source? Who knows.

Just binged Secret of the River, set in Oaxaca Mexico. About a friendship between 2 nine year old boys with a backdrop of a Muxe/trans community. Excellent acting from the two young actors. Recommended.

This isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but those with an interest might enjoy Woman of the Hour - a film dramatisation about serial killer Rodney Alcala's appearance on The Dating Game (the US version of Blind Date) and his interaction with the contestant who picked him (played excellently by Anna Kendrick), and his crimes that preceded it and followed it.

Very chilling, trigger warnings abound, obvs.

I really enjoyed "It's what's inside" - ended up watching it twice because I recommended it to my husband and watched it with him - it's satisfying to watch it again, especially the opening sequence - as it makes sense - it doesn't first time.

It has a kind of suspense - will it won't it be horror (it isn't really), but it's also full of dark humour - that I enjoy. It's tagged as a Comedy/Mystery/Sci-fi/Thriller on IMBD. The acting is very good too.

It has a pretty good rating on rotten tomatoes too - It's What's Inside | Rotten Tomatoes

I'm pretty shocked that Ancient Apocalypse show has been given a second season! The first season was so shot through with bad science, sneaky edits of interviews with archaeologists, lies, conspiracy and also, obviously, aliens that I was shocked it was made in the first place. Of course Graham Hancock's son happens to work as a documentary commissioner for Netflix so sure theres nothing dodgy going on there.

Tbf I'm probably part of the problem as I love to hate watch shows like this so probably help to spike the viewing figures whilst shouting at the TV.

I've just started the second season and it seems he's trying to do less of the 'mainstream archaeology hates me' schtick (though its still there) and respecting more experts, though some of the interview edits and his little conspiracy asides are very obvious and cynical.

He's also roped in Keanu Reeves for no apparent reason. It seems like some attempt to lend credibility to his conspiracies, but Keanu doesn't actually say anything significant, he just stands on a hillside listening politely. Very weird.

Anyway, I look forward to watching the rest of the show and the subsequent debunking videos.

I'm pretty shocked that Ancient Apocalypse show has been given a second season! The first season was so shot through with bad science, sneaky edits of interviews with archaeologists, lies, conspiracy and also, obviously, aliens that I was shocked it was made in the first place. Of course Graham Hancock's son happens to work as a documentary commissioner for Netflix so sure theres nothing dodgy going on there.

Tbf I'm probably part of the problem as I love to hate watch shows like this so probably help to spike the viewing figures whilst shouting at the TV.

I've just started the second season and it seems he's trying to do less of the 'mainstream archaeology hates me' schtick (though its still there) and respecting more experts, though some of the interview edits and his little conspiracy asides are very obvious and cynical.

He's also roped in Keanu Reeves for no apparent reason. It seems like some attempt to lend credibility to his conspiracies, but Keanu doesn't actually say anything significant, he just stands on a hillside listening politely. Very weird.

Anyway, I look forward to watching the rest of the show and the subsequent debunking videos.
We love this show :cool:

This isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but those with an interest might enjoy Woman of the Hour - a film dramatisation about serial killer Rodney Alcala's appearance on The Dating Game (the US version of Blind Date) and his interaction with the contestant who picked him (played excellently by Anna Kendrick), and his crimes that preceded it and followed it.

Very chilling, trigger warnings abound, obvs.

I watched this last night. It was an interesting re-telling. I don't think it was that well cast, but otherwise there was some moments of real tension. I think they did a good job of not sensationalising Alcala's crimes, and I liked that there was an attempt to veer away from making it about him, his background, his motivations etc. I was worried at first that it was going to be a violent version of That 70s Show with a hip soundtrack, but it was only the opening credits that felt like that. 95mins was probably not enough time for this, but taking a slice of the story and sticking to that with some flashbacks worked.

This was Anna Kendrick's directorial debut, and she shows some real chops. I hope she does more.

Back
Top Bottom