Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

I'm also wondering how many times Doron can infiltrate Hamas and Hezbollah, in a place the size of the West Bank, without anyone recognising him.
TBF that question sprang to my mind, and I've only seen the first episode of the first season

I’ve just finished Kaos and, as someone who has previously fallen into rabbit holes of Feminist and Other Modern Retellings of these myths, it was so far up my street that I’d bring it a welcome pack and sign up to Nextdoor. I think the significant deviations from the original stories are more than justified because a) it’s possibly the only way of squishing so many story strands together and b) the societies they’re told in are very different. If the retelling wasn’t heavily altered then Zeus and Poseidon would be far too rapey for modern audiences and most of the women would have much less agency. Plus there are glimmers of the original stories in there, from the motivational (Theseus using Ariadne fancying him to get her to betray her father) to the metaphorical (Orpheus’ looking back at Eurydice after the underworld being linked to him losing her).

Goldblum was sublimely cast as Zeus and personally I found Rizwan’s Dionysus hot as fuck. Ariadne will be a lucky mortal next season. Although RIP Dennis the cat. :(

Enjoyed it as much as Ragnerok (the Norwegian teen drama also on Netflix rather than the Marvel outing), although in very different ways.
Must give this a look.
I loved Ragnarok.

I’m seven episodes in to Kaos now. It’s fine. For something that is based on the original epic tales, has a big budget and a stellar cast, I feel that it oddly lacks any sense of scale or import. Stuff happens, eh. I think it’s because I can’t relate to or really care about any of the characters. Their motivations are transparent and one dimensional, and they operate more like plot devices than people. My earlier concerns that the value contained in the source material was just being ignored turned out to be partially true, but not really for the reasons I thought. There is certainly some lip service to who all these characters are in the mythology. But the whole point of the mythology was that it connected with the human experience, even when it was Gods doing things, because those Gods were really just the personification of human impulses. That’s the bit that’s crucial, and it’s the part that has been lost.

I’m seven episodes in to Kaos now. It’s fine. For something that is based on the original epic tales, has a big budget and a stellar cast, I feel that it oddly lacks any sense of scale or import. Stuff happens, eh. I think it’s because I can’t relate to or really care about any of the characters. Their motivations are transparent and one dimensional, and they operate more like plot devices than people. My earlier concerns that the value contained in the source material was just being ignored turned out to be partially true, but not really for the reasons I thought. There is certainly some lip service to who all these characters are in the mythology. But the whole point of the mythology was that it connected with the human experience, even when it was Gods doing things, because those Gods were really just the personification of human impulses. That’s the bit that’s crucial, and it’s the part that has been lost.
I only watched part of the first one, but isn't the characters being one-dimensional related to "the Gods being the personification of human impulses". You know, zeus is an alpha prick, Dionysus is a party boy, Cassandra always tells the truth but is ignored etc etc. They're not particularly deep in the mythology either.

I only watched part of the first one, but isn't the characters being one-dimensional related to "the Gods being the personification of human impulses". You know, zeus is an alpha prick, Dionysus is a party boy, Cassandra always tells the truth but is ignored etc etc. They're not particularly deep in the mythology either.
But the situations they are placed in tell us something about the nature of society (or at least the society of the day). What does this tale tell us about our society? It’s not even our society, for a start.

ETA: the more I think about it, the more I think that’s why I find it a bit meh. I love science fiction and fantasy that is an allegory of our own society and our own social problems. But this ain’t that. This is a society with literal gods who act like a petit booj small family business but who, in literal truth, rule the populace with special magic powers. And then the story is about those magic people, who I can’t connect to at all. Like I say, it’s fine. Just no spiritual depth, ironically enough. A pretty and well-engineered empty vessel.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to the new drama about the Menendez case which was released yesterday, but it's 9 fucking episodes and I'm starting to find long overblown series about things that could be covered in a much more concise way to be quite offputting.

Giving it a go anyway.
I finished this today and whilst it was mostly enjoyable, it was way too long IMO. I just got bored.

I was looking forward to the new drama about the Menendez case which was released yesterday, but it's 9 fucking episodes and I'm starting to find long overblown series about things that could be covered in a much more concise way to be quite offputting.

Giving it a go anyway.
Totally with you on the overblown, drawn out nature of these docuseries. Learn to edit yourself, documentary makers!

But the situations they are placed in tell us something about the nature of society (or at least the society of the day). What does this tale tell us about our society? It’s not even our society, for a start.

ETA: the more I think about it, the more I think that’s why I find it a bit meh. I love science fiction and fantasy that is an allegory of our own society and our own social problems. But this ain’t that. This is a society with literal gods who act like a petit booj small family business but who, in literal truth, rule the populace with special magic powers. And then the story is about those magic people, who I can’t connect to at all. Like I say, it’s fine. Just no spiritual depth, ironically enough. A pretty and well-engineered empty vessel.

I finished kaos last evening. I agree with you. Disappointing.
Felt it was just a rehash of the mythologies ... but then they had the episode where the dead thought they were being reborn but ended up as clay lumps in a basement and the gods were using the "essence " that every dead human had (soul?) to keep themselves vital and alive was not something I remember from the myths.
I don't remember that in Greek mythology?

Last edited:
The very worst thing is that the bloody thing didn’t actually end. No resolutions at all, just a bunch of set-ups for another season. I hate that.

Mostly through Mr McMahon

It's a decent documentary (filmed before the many rape and other allegations against McMahon and his associates). Essentially a history of the specific (W)WWF/E eras, centred on Vince McMahon's personal involvement. It's not aimed at me as I've read dozens of books/articles on the subject over the years, but at the casual viewer or more perhaps at the former wrestling fans who haven't relapsed. McMahon is presented as a tyrant who justifies doing whatever he thinks is in the best interest of 'the business'.

Back
Top Bottom