Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

Few episodes into Arcane. Don't know the game it's based on, but seems pretty good so far.
You've got to have an appetite for a pretty frantic pace at times, but the art and world-building is good, and some of the emotional arcs do have some punch. I was never convinced by
the Jayce rise to power storyline - no-one that naive would be allowed that much power in any system
Which means those parts of the story are much less compelling as there's no emotional realism to it.

The other thing I didn't get on with recently was The Silent Sea - it held a lot of promise and sounded like the sort of thing I usually enjoy, but was very disappointing - I did watch it to the end but it turned into a bit of a slog tbh, and my attention kept drifting.

Just started Archive 81 - a horror drama series, which (having watched 1 episode) looks much more promising if a bit derivative - supernatural/haunted building type horror of some sort, story of the building's recent history being pieced together by a video restoration expert so it's kind of half and half drama/"found footage" setup type thing. Probably not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I am fairly engrossed so far, it's very much my sort of thing. I do love a bit of supernatural nonsense!

Will report back when I have watched more of it.

Last edited:
Have you started this yet?

I'm about half way and I think this is the best series so far. Very different from the others but just as engaging.

Lammers' Ferry is one of my favourite characters ever. Watch his expressions. Sometimes they're hilarious!
Three eps in, really enjoying it :)

I've been eyeing this but I usually find Geezer-Gangster stuff depressing, so I've swerved it.

I'll give it a go on your rec.
Fairbrass extends his normal range. There are familiar gangster/tasty geezer/hoolie types in there, but some are shown to be to some degree self-reflective.

But the film avoids the 'read a few books inside and did an Open University sociology course and is now a fluffy puppy dog with occasional outbursts who needs taming by a forgiving woman' trope, or at least skims past it whilst on a dangerously accelerating trajectory heading for sudden impact.

What struck me most was the way it presented a contrast between how the main character saw himself as having overcome his short-tempered violence and his short-sighted ambition and his shortcomings, and how we the audience could see that no, he definitely hadn't.

It is not about a master criminal. It is about a flawed man of limited ability and little capacity to remake himself.

Fairbrass extends his normal range. There are familiar gangster/tasty geezer/hoolie types in there, but some are shown to be to some degree self-reflective.

But the film avoids the 'read a few books inside and did an Open University sociology course and is now a fluffy puppy dog with occasional outbursts who needs taming by a forgiving woman' trope, or at least skims past it whilst on a dangerously accelerating trajectory heading for sudden impact.

What struck me most was the way it presented a contrast between how the main character saw himself as having overcome his short-tempered violence and his short-sighted ambition and his shortcomings, and how we the audience could see that no, he definitely hadn't.

It is not about a master criminal. It is about a flawed man of limited ability and little capacity to remake himself.
<eek> just read that and it sounded more like...

That cunt Fairbrass does extend beyond his normal acting ends. Of course there's fucking familiar gangster/tasty geezer/hoolie types in 'ere, but some of us are fucking shown to be to some degree self-fuckin-reflective.

What this fucking film avoids is the 'reformed cunt' trope, or at least skims past it whilst on a double quick trajectory heading for sudden-fucking-impact, claret imminent.

Listen to me you fucking..... the way it presented a contrast between how that slippery cunt saw himself as having overcome his hard cunt attitude and his short-sighted ambition and his liberties, and how us cunts could see that no, he's still nawty.

Fuck him, cunt.

That cunt Fairbrass does extend beyond his normal acting ends. Of course there's fucking familiar gangster/tasty geezer/hoolie types in 'ere, but some of us are fucking shown to be to some degree self-fuckin-reflective.

What this fucking film avoids is the 'reformed cunt' trope, or at least skims past it whilst on a double quick trajectory heading for sudden-fucking-impact, claret imminent.

Listen to me you fucking..... the way it presented a contrast between how that slippery cunt saw himself as having overcome his hard cunt attitude and his short-sighted ambition and his liberties, and how us cunts could see that no, he's still nawty.

Fuck him, cunt.

:D

I decided to avoid Fairbrass, after the Rise Of The Foot Soldier films, which are grim as fuck, and bring home the fact that people like that really exist in the city I live in. I find it genuinely disturbing that you could actually bump-in to some of these evil bastards on a night out in the East End. Then there's the whole thing about making celebrities out of people like Pat Tate and Carlton Leech (who?)

Mrs S is out tomorrow so I've earmarked Villain for the afternoon.

Fuck him, cunt.
They should do a franchise and follow the Die Hard naming convention

Hard Cunt
Hard Cunt 2: Harder Cunt
Hard Cunt With A Vengeance
Live Free Or Hard Cunt
A Good Day To You, Hard Cunt

I thought the brand new Netflix exclusive Scream 5 film was meant to drop tonight in the UK? I guess it was US-only, as it’s not coming up right now when we search for it.

Anyway, further to my initial report and as Epona also corroborated, Archive 81 continues to be highly watchable more than two thirds in. Can’t vouch for how it is going to end, but a firm recommendation from me so far.

Anyway, further to my initial report and as Epona also corroborated, Archive 81 continues to be highly watchable more than two thirds in. Can’t vouch for how it is going to end, but a firm recommendation from me so far.

Aye, currently about 20 mins into Ep 3 and so far it is just getting better and better - without wanting to give too much away, the plot has widened out a bit so it is now feeling a bit different and more complex than your average "wooo, ghosts" type drama, we're learning more about the 2 main characters (and I hope we will see more of Jess too), and there is some weird shit going on - all in all very enjoyable so far.

Back
Top Bottom