Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

It's nice isn't it, but slightly odd at the same time.
i was a bit suspicious that it all played out exactly how they said too. poetic license and all that. had an almost perfect narrative structure. so what, i guess. but yes it had some wonderful moments.

Despite the condemnation upthread, I’m not arching Stay Close (Kush Jumbo, James Nesbitt, Eddie Izzard et al). It’s not terrible, but it’s hard to give a shit about any of the central mysteries, or the characters. Given the talent onscreen (Kush Jumbo’s recent Hamlet at the Young Vic has underlined her status as one of our finest younger actors), I think the problem lies in the script.

The name Harlan Koban seems to have some weight or status and I gather they’re a popular novelist that has somehow flown under my radar, but I remember from previous dramas under that name, that there’s an odd sterility and laminate finish to the characters and their domestic situations.

I don’t believe any of these people care about each other much either way. I’m quite entertained by Jo Joiner as the ex wife detective, Izzard’s junkie lawyer is refreshing, and Sarah Parish is engaging as the ageing not-quite-madam, but the inexplicably wealthy young central family, all the ultra-rich teenagers, the tormented photographer (who is in no way financially surviving on the work we see him do), and the crime pattern that spans decades are all just entirely uncompelling.

Im not sure what to think about the bright young dancing torturers. I like their bits, but they make me wish everything else was as visually or stylistically interesting.

Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood.

Not at all what I was expecting. Thought it was a biopic of Mr Rogers. . . . . bit disappointed. Basically not interesting at all when not about Rogers. I can see what they were trying to do, but I am not sure it worked. Well not for me. I did like the small, mostly interconnecting elements that mixed the film set with real life, but the bookending/ framing of the story as a subject on Rogers show sat awkwardly with the rest of the film which was mostly very vanilla and unadventurous apart from the 'oh no im crazy hallucinating / dreaming' shoe horn.

You could make an excellent trailer for it making it look like a fun michelle gondry / wes anderson flick. . . that it isn't.
The trailer I saw also lied to me anyway, I really thought it was biopic.

5 episodes in The Silent Sea has gotten very silly and I'm not sure I'll make it to the end.

:edit: I read the synopsis for the last 3 episodes and I definitely won't make it to the end. On to Station Eleven and Yellowjackets (neither on Netflix)

Last edited:
5 episodes in The Silent Sea has gotten very silly and I'm not sure I'll make it to the end.
Oh no. I'm only two in and the bad science is distracting. Was hoping it would pick up. My wife and daughter are still very much on board so I think we can last eight episodes.

I've just realised I have three free weeks of prime so I can do some season six expanse on the side.

Oh no. I'm only two in and the bad science is distracting. Was hoping it would pick up. My wife and daughter are still very much on board so I think we can last eight episodes.

I've just realised I have three free weeks of prime so I can do some season six expanse on the side.
If you don't like the science by episode 2, just wait for what's to come ! :D

If you don't like the science by episode 2, just wait for what's to come ! :D
Oh no. Actually I'm looking forward to it now. Maybe I can embrace it and it's properly stilly it will be fun?
I began to relish the silly plot flip flopping of lost in space, that was quite enjoyable until the final season and woeful finale.

Oh no. Actually I'm looking forward to it now. Maybe I can embrace it and it's properly stilly it will be fun?
I began to relish the silly plot flip flopping of lost in space, that was quite enjoyable until the final season and woeful finale.
It's not even the silly science which bothered me most, it starts ticking off some of the most tired cliches of a particular subgenre of science fiction. I started to watch this because I still wanted a space set show after getting tired of The Expanse by season 4. I'm giving up on space operas till season 3 of For All Mankind for now, hopefully that will come out later this year.

I don't remember getting any of that from watching it.
From memory there's 2 scenes that stood out. The one I remember is where he says something like 'And that was the last time we had physical contact'. I wasn't sure it was just me so I put it on at my mates as though I'd not seen it and she started laughing at the same point.

I felt his wife was suspicious in her absence aswell. :D

The final episode of The Expanse (episode 6) is out on Friday, careful not to miss it all in your free weeks! You probably know but I do worry so.

The final episode of The Expanse (episode 6) is out on Friday, careful not to miss it all in your free weeks! You probably know but I do worry so.
I think I will be ok. There's nothing much else on prime or netflix to distract me at the moment.
Season 5 was maybe a bit dull?
I should probably watch the lot from the beginning.

:edit: I read the synopsis for the last 3 episodes and I definitely won't make it to the end. On to Station Eleven and Yellowjackets (neither on Netflix)
Ooh has Station Eleven been released now?
The book is brilliant

Back
Top Bottom