Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Netflix recommendations

+ its got Vod from Fresh Meat in, and I think she is grrreat, I wondered what she would do after fresh meat as she seemed a level above all the other actors in it.
I haven't seen Fresh Meat, but I Googled Josephina / Zawe Ashton as I recognised her from something else, and she was in Wanderlust with Toni Collette. That was good, in a good good sense.

This film was good in an entertaining sense, rather than an excellent drama sense. I'm not familiar with the name Dario Argento, but like you say, this was stylish, possible to appreciate set pieces. John Malkovich and his new agent in the loft studio scene was funny too.

bin bags[\spoiler]

Did you notice

the eyes on the wall when Rhodora went to explore the noise? And I loved how they avoided the obvious with her demise. Her actual ending was totes ridiculous though.[\spoiler]

Dario Argento was an italian horror film director, prob most famous for Suspiria (which was remade recently)... he gets grouped with other italian directors as part of the "giallo" movement in the late 70s and 80s, which is basically like pulp horror with loads of pretension. As a horror fan I was kind of meant to take them v seriously, as they are v well made in many ways and legendary, but they are so preposterous that they are kind of (unintentionally) hilarious too.

Reno will be able to make this comparison 100 times better than me ha, I'd like him to give it a watch!

Any recommendations for a longish flight tomorrow? I’d like to download some Netflix shows to watch. Nothing too dark or murderous or bloody.

Dario Argento was an italian horror film director, prob most famous for Suspiria (which was remade recently)... he gets grouped with other italian directors as part of the "giallo" movement in the late 70s and 80s, which is basically like pulp horror with loads of pretension. As a horror fan I was kind of meant to take them v seriously, as they are v well made in many ways and legendary, but they are so preposterous that they are kind of (unintentionally) hilarious too.

Reno will be able to make this comparison 100 times better than me ha, I'd like him to give it a watch!
I’d replace the word “pretension” with “style”. I don’t think they are meant to be taken seriously, they are quite self-aware of their heightened artificiality. I love them of course. :)

Haven’t seen Velvet Buzzsaw yet, will hopefully get round to it later in the week.

I watched Velvet Buzzsaw this weekend and enjoyed it. It's not a masterpiece of cinema but I liked watching the cast - I think they were all having fun. It's stylish and ludicrous and well performed. Thumbs up from me although probably not everyone's cup of tea.

We watched Look Who's Back, last night. Adolf Hitler returns to modern day Germany. Very funny in places but the last half hour gets a bit too stupid.

The book is better. Though the scenes of Hitler driving around and waving at people are a bit eerie.

I’d replace the word “pretension” with “style”. I don’t think they are meant to be taken seriously, they are quite self-aware of their heightened artificiality. I love them of course. :)

Haven’t seen Velvet Buzzsaw yet, will hopefully get round to it later in the week.
I guess what I meant was, before I had seen them I read pieces about them being these incredible serious artistic achievements (which I'm sure they are too) but what enabled me to start really enjoying watching them was embracing the ridiculousness of them as well.

Anyway I look forward to your review! I reckon the film might get a few slatings, but it is a lot of fun.

I guess what I meant was, before I had seen them I read pieces about them being these incredible serious artistic achievements (which I'm sure they are too) but what enabled me to start really enjoying watching them was embracing the ridiculousness of them as well.

Anyway I look forward to your review! I reckon the film might get a few slatings, but it is a lot of fun.

It's more that these films were long regarded as trash, especially in Italy where they were popular entertainment, but not taken seriously along the lines of the works by Antonioni, Fellini, Bertolucci, etc.

There were a few films by Mario Bava and Argento which achieved early genre-classic status (Black Sunday, Suspiria), but on the whole most gialli and Italian horror films of the period (60s to 80s) were not well regarded. It took a couple of decades for them to get re-discovered and re-assessed. To draw attention to their achievements, claims for their artistic merits may have been exaggerated, mainly to draw attention to a long reviled sub-genre. Formally many of them are quite stunning and unlike anything else in cinema. A lot of these films are now getting rediscovered and are lovingly restored for blu-ray and there are quite a few current film-makers who are strongly influenced by them.

I'm waffling, but vintage Euro-horror is one of my favourite subjects when it comes to film. :)

It's more that these films were long regarded as trash, especially in Italy where they were popular entertainment, but not taken seriously along the lines of the works by Antonioni, Fellini, Bertolucci, etc.

There were a few films by Mario Bava and Argento which achieved early genre-classic status (Black Sunday, Suspiria), but on the whole most gialli and Italian horror films of the period (60s to 80s) were not well regarded. It took a couple of decades for them to get re-discovered and re-assessed. To draw attention to their achievements, claims for their artistic merits may have been exaggerated, mainly to draw attention to a long reviled sub-genre. Formally many of them are quite stunning and unlike anything else in cinema. A lot of these films are now getting rediscovered and are lovingly restored for blu-ray and there are quite a few current film-makers who are strongly influenced by them.

I'm waffling, but vintage Euro-horror is one of my favourite subjects when it comes to film. :)
Ha I knew I was right to tag you

Have you seen "Poison for the Fairies" the Mexican 1984 horror? I reckon you would be into that.

I watched that Riverdale last night. Not bad for what it is, even if the "Twin Peaks-iness" was laid on a bit thick at times.

Also the Kominsky method. Is Michael Douglas that auld and doddery in real life?

Finished Russian Doll this evening I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very clever how it mirrored (see what I did there) the processes of trauma and therapy By turns funny dark and moving.
All the thumbs for Russian Doll - Natasha Lyonne is brilliant, plenty of drugs and swearing slathered between the moral dilemmas and ethical conundrums, great pacy New Yawk humour and dialogue. Only halfway through but I'm loving it all. If you don't like Lyonne, though, you'll hate it (she's certainly Marmite and is basically inescapable throughout. )
Just finished Russian Doll. Its made me quite emotional and I'm not sure why. Loved it, especially the ending.
Watched the end last night. One episode reminded me so much of Tove Lo - Habits Stay High. Not what I expected as it wasn't that funny.

Feared it'd be Groundhog Day meets Maniac but it became something else.

Think Plumdaff has it right trauma and therapy. Very good.

Watched a couple of the Irish films on there.

Calvary - it was ok, the best of this bunch. Not as good as The Guard, but a diverting enough vehicle for Brendan Gleeson to do his Quiet Man of the West thing.

Bad Day For the Cut was alright. Slick enough revenge & reciprocal violence drama with some good moments, but I found it less engaging as the body count increased & the early surprises diminished.

Cardboard Gangsters is the worst film I've seen in a long time. And the most accurately titled. Nominative flippin determinism.

Overall, I could do with fewer iphones & guns.

The Two Killings of Sam Cooke was very interesting and as with all good documentaries has lead to an hour of googling.

Has anyone got any recommendations that are light hearted, i.e. not bleak dramas or somehow murder related?

We're working our way through Luther at the mo so need a kind of counterbalance.
Sorry I said izombie by mistake...I got it mixed up

I meant Santa Clarita Diet...watch that, it's awesome and has Drew Barrymore at her best.

Back
Top Bottom