Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nadine Dorries: Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

I'm curious if this means that any time there are 30 MPs having billiard table sex with 120 cheering or if there are only 6 billiard table sex sessions going on at any one time.
I suspect you have a book a slot in advance, the burning question is are they told to wipe the table down afterwards. It's unfair to expect the next person to do it, especially if they just want a game of billiards

I do not believe it is going to be possible to wipe down a billiards table.

For one, they're quite big, for another, well presumably the felt stains.

Unless this is some sort of artificial turf table?

link
'Sir Robert Godwin KFC' x-tweets ''Another contact, I shall call Shag-Yeti (...)''

Sir Robert Godwin KFC. @chirpychappy1
Another contact, I shall call Shag-Yeti, told me all sorts of things that turned out not to be true. I slurped my wine & put my head on one side coquettishly..... tell me more, I slurred.
8:22 AM • Nov 6,2023

🤣

I do not believe it is going to be possible to wipe down a billiards table.

For one, they're quite big, for another, well presumably the felt stains.

Unless this is some sort of artificial turf table?
Well quite frankly it's a bit much then, not only is the table going to be sticky and cause the ball to go all over the place, How the fuck can you concentrate with all the grunting and cheering coming from the next table.

Well quite frankly it's a bit much then, not only is the table going to be sticky and cause the ball to go all over the place, How the fuck can you concentrate with all the grunting and cheering coming from the next table.
Wait - there's more than one table? Is this being held in the Crucible? :eww:

Last edited:
I believe it.

Someone I worked with in the Netherlands years ago had an accident when he swerved to avoid a rabbit and hit a tree. His insurance form asked for a map so he drew road ... car ... rabbit ... tree. It asked him "Who in your opinion was at fault for the accident" so he wrote "the rabbit"

Rabbits have things to answer for :mad:

When I was working in Complaints About Professional Conduct I developed a mantra that Sometimes even a nutter has a point.* I wanted people in the dept to focus on the substance of the complaint rather than the character of the complainant. It was sometimes very difficult, what with the green ink and all.

Allowing for her bonkers allegiance to Johnson and wilful blindness to his manifest insouciant and incompetent corruptibility, her novelistic tendencies and delusions, and general Toryism, to say nothing of the fact I'm heartily glad to see the back of Johnson as PM (but O God, look who we've got now) I'm getting truthy vibes from some of Nads's allegations and would be interested to see a more forensic examination.

It's hardly news, is it, that there are power brokers, people who exert extraordinary influence and use Urquhartian dark arts to achieve their ends. What those ends are is another matter, and it may be power for its own sake though in my limited experience it's usually money.

*(Actually, the fact of having their perfectly reasonable complaint continually belittled and ignored before it reached our dept was possibly one of the things that drove them over the edge anyway, but that's by the by when it comes to Nads, who has never been reasonable.)

I believe it.

Someone I worked with in the Netherlands years ago had an accident when he swerved to avoid a rabbit and hit a tree. His insurance form asked for a map so he drew road ... car ... rabbit ... tree. It asked him "Who in your opinion was at fault for the accident" so he wrote "the rabbit"

was the rabbit ok :hmm:

Brace yourselves for some very bad news. Today's extract from THE PLOT is the last one 😢

Still, after all those anonymous 'quotes' from Bambi, Thumper, Moneypenny and the Shag-Yeti, this one has some actual on the record quotes from that enormously respected Tory Grandee checks notes Ian Duncan-Smith.

This instalment is accompanied by her regular Mail column, which she devotes to how great and important her book is, addresses her critics in 'The Movement', casually points out how great and important her book is, and concludes:

They say you should never wash your dirty linen in public, but by the same token, if you can’t walk into the stables without getting up to your knees in filth, then the only thing to do is turn on the taps and flush it out. As a party, we have reached the point of implosion because those who have been running it for many years have created nothing but disharmony and chaos through their lies and manipulation and plotting. my book reveals how they did this and when Conservative MPs read it, I think they will agree with me.

We may have the majority to govern, courtesy of former prime minister Boris Johnson, but we no longer have the moral authority. It’s time to drain the sewer of MPs, aides and the secret and powerful party officials who are not truly Conservative, who corrupt the heart of our democracy. It’s over for my party, for now. And it’s high time it was over for them, too.

I'm sure we could all get behind some of that.

She also stresses how every word has been checked by lawyers at her publishers and at the Mail.

People have told me it is the most 'legalled’ book since Spycatcher, the 1987 account by former MI5 agent Peter Wright about traitors in the ranks of the secret services which the government of the day didn’t want the public to read.

It's an interesting comparison. Peter Wright was a right-wing conspiraloon. But while many of the obsessional fantasies in his book haven't stood up to scrutiny, it did give a very distorted picture of some of the real divisions inside MI5, and between them and the Government. Not to mention a vivid impression of the state of these fuckers. I think no less could be said about THE PLOT.

Attachments

• Nads5-2023-11-07.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I believe it.

Ax^ has a lot to answer for. :(

When the claims in THE PLOT were serialized in the Mail it was pointed out that the references in it to "The Movement" were not new news. An interesting blog post by Richard Bartholomew traces uses of the term in the media going back to 1999, initially to describe the far right libertarian supporters of Michael Portillo, many of whom then became "modernizers" supporting the Cameron/Osborne project.

Notes on “The Movement” - Bartholomew's Notes

Bartholomew concludes:
These old claims about “the Movement” appear to have been reheated in the service of a new round of the same right-wing factionalism (...). Earlier this year saw the launch of the Conservative Democratic Organisation, headed by Lord Cruddas (...). The CDO has been described as a “party within a party”, and is thought to be attempting to control the selection of party candidates at a local level. However, according to The Plot, as reported by Owen, “Mr Smith has controlled the selection of Tory MPs since 2017, with candidates forced to ‘sell their soul’ to him”. Dorries is also with the CDO; it appears, then, that Smith has been targeted because he is an obstacle to Cruddas’s ambitions.

When the claims in THE PLOT were serialized in the Mail it was pointed out that the references in it to "The Movement" were not new news. An interesting blog post by Richard Bartholomew traces uses of the term in the media going back to 1999, initially to describe the far right libertarian supporters of Michael Portillo, many of whom then became "modernizers" supporting the Cameron/Osborne project.

Notes on “The Movement” - Bartholomew's Notes

Bartholomew concludes:
Smith may not now “rule the world”, but according to The Plot he is the secret power behind the throne in Downing Street. The book distinguishes between Smith and a shadowy figure Dorries calls “Dr No”, but an éxpose that fails to name a central figure in the conspiracy makes no sense. It is far more reasonable to suppose that “Dr No” is a device which allowed the author to include allegations that lawyers felt were too risky to be attributed (1)...

Note

1. Partridge-like, the book contains numerous James Bond references. In this context, though, “Dr No” doesn’t really make sense – the shadowy mastermind in the Bond universe of course is Blofeld. However, this created a problem: Dorries’s literary agent is named Piers Blofeld.
😆

It's not selling

Well I'm sure she'd love more sales, but even despite the fact that 'evaluation copies' were on naughty internet sites the very morning it was published, it appears that muppets have actually been buying copies of it. As of today at Amazon:

Nadine Dorries
The Plot: The Political Assassination of Boris Johnson (released 9th November)

Best Sellers Rank: 197 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
2 in Civil Liberties & Political Activism
2 in Democracy
3 in Journalistic Communication Studies
Customer reviews: 4.1 stars 277 ratings

by comparison

Anthony Seldon and Raymond Newell
Johnson at 10: The Inside Story: The Bestselling Political Biography of the Year (sic) (released 4th May)

Best Sellers Rank: 2,275 in Books (See Top 10o in Books)
2 in History of Ukraine
3 in History of Afghanistan
W in International Relations
Customer reviews: 4.3 stars 961 ratings

Ranked #3 in Journalistic Communication Studies 🤣

I don't see any reason to assume that THE PLOT won't provide an addition to the steady income stream she was already receiving as an author.
Changes to the Register of Members' Interests Nadine Dorries - They Work For You
She's already received a £20.5k down payment on her advance for it.

What I think she is complaining about is that THE PLOT isn't driving the news agenda. And she's quite right about that. There could be a number of reasons that "main stream journalists have been largely quiet about it". Off the top of my head:

1. It was first revealed as an exclusive for the paper she writes a column for, thereby reducing interest for rival papers to pursue it's anonymised, legally challenging and highly coloured allegations.
2. She herself is of much less interest now that she's no longer inside the tent pissing in.
3. They've actually read it.

Beyond this there is the obvious fact that the internecine war inside the Conservative Party, and it's potential future implications, is presenting problems for 'editorial policy' across the 'mainstream media', but particularly for some of the right-leaning titles. There was an interesting opinion piece in the Guardian a week or so ago:
How the Daily Mail became the Boris and Dorries show – and left middle England behind - Archie Bland - The Guardian

Just one persons opinion of course, but hard to disagree that the 'Boris and Dorries show' comes with a lot of potentially unwanted baggage.
Does this mean that 'Nadine's time is finally up'? Rather doubt it. In the meantime we still have her weekly TV shows and her Mail columns:

27/11/23 NADINE DORRIES: So am I on the wrong side in the Fake v Fir Christmas tree debate?
20/11/23 NADINE DORRIES: I lost more than a stone... so what's stopping the work-shy?

Shouldn't the thread title be changed? After all, it was depressing enough to be reminded of how low the UK had sunk when it was actually true. I know it isn't all that much better now, but when you're depressed you can try to cheer up at the thought that she no longer is in office, along with the fact that you haven't been attacked by a mad axe murderer that day. Something like Nadine Dorries, Back to Obscurity Where She Belongs, Oh Do Shut Up and Stop Being So Tiresome You Appalling Person.

Back
Top Bottom