Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum billed as celebration of London women opens as Jack the Ripper exhibit

Oh, and there's apparently a counter-demo being touted around on social media relating itself to both this 'museum' and the recent hipster cereal to-do:

ProtectEastLondon

The Museum takes the next step– shining a light on current issues that are happening in our society today – domestic violence, poverty, trafficking of women and forced prostitution, by examining the desperate conditions the victims of Jack the Ripper found themselves in.

so some men murder women. and making money out of objectifying their lives and deaths is somehow going to stop men battering, prostituting and murdering women now. can someone enlighten me as to how objectifying the women murdered by the ripper is going to achieve all this, cause i'm completely fucking lost.

and jesus fucking wept, that has to be one of the worst pr statements ive seen. did they get in some 17 year old tory boy to write that? because the only thing it says to me is that someone really hates class war. and the museum really does have squat all to do with any actual discussion of women's lives and no one involved can be bothered to even properly pretend it does because they expect everyone to be too blinded by the anti class war wibble to care about anything else.

Last edited:
so some men murder women. and making money out of objectifying their lives and deaths is somehow going to stop men battering, prostituting and murdering women now. can someone enlighten me as to how objectifying the women murdered by the ripper is going to achieve all this, cause i'm completely fucking lost.

Not as lost as I am. I'm also surprised it's not been firebombed yet.

which will be the tory boy with his new pr company and the 3 mates he promised some free beers to?
I've had a proper close up look at this place and it looks as though it's straight out of a fairground. Shining a light, my arse. It needs a fucking miracle worker, not a journalist turned PR agent.

you've just given me one of those moments when i don't know whether to laugh or cry and a reminder of why this makes me so fucking angry
I'm no expert on the dark art of marketing a steaming turd, but I'm fairly certain that they would have had less grief if they had just called it that in the first place instead of puffing up their chests and making out that it's some grand celebration of historical inquiry.

I'm no expert on the dark art of marketing a steaming turd, but I'm fairly certain that they would have had less grief if they had just called it that in the first place instead of puffing up their chests and making out that it's some grand celebration of historical inquiry.
Wouldn't have got the planning permission

The hipster cereal cafe, the dead woman funfair, or the "Executive Assistant to a CEO of a Bank by day/blogger, columnist and socialite by night" PR flack?

Still, at least we know that he's a good PR. He's got exaggeration totally down with his "Cereal Killer cafe smashed windows" comment.

It won't achieve any of that, and how could it? These are acts and attitudes that require deep social action, not fucking commodification or the objectification of the sufferings of victims.

and jesus fucking wept, that has to be one of the worst pr statements ive seen. did they get in some 17 year old tory boy to write that? because the only thing it says to me is that someone really hates class war. and the museum really does have squat all to do with any actual discussion of women's lives and no one involved can be bothered to even properly pretend it does because they expect everyone to be too blinded by the anti class war wibble to care about anything else.

It certainly reads as him having little clue about either Class War or the right to protest (however attenuated it currently is).

image.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW RIPPER MUSEUM INTERACTIVE DISPLAY INSPIRES YOUNG WOMEN TO FOLLOW THEIR DREAMS

Following near universal acclaim for its sensitivity to its historical subject matter since opening last month, highbrow-yet-hip learnaquarium the Jack The Ripper Museum - located in the Pearly Playground that is stylish East London - is proud to announce a new addition to its enviable portfolio of evisceration commemoration: the interactive Catherine Eddowes post mortem exhibit.

Offering visitors the opportunity to identify and replace the missing body parts, the new ride hands-on learning experience...providing an educational hook for young local women to aspire towards professional goals...careers in coronial arts...hint of jeopardy...electrifyingly exciting...creating a real buzz... zzzzzz....

image.jpg

It needs a fucking miracle worker, not a journalist turned PR agent.

8892600_orig.jpg

They're missing a trick if they don't sort out a proper food-and-drink concession; perhaps call it the Juwes Bar, offer a Traditional East End Mixed Grill - complete with kidneys (full of all that irony goodness), natch - artisanal gin, boutique pie'n'mash etc. Ten pee from every meal order to go to some wimmin's charity or other to keep The Ladies from getting too hysterical.

I look forward to Palmer-Edgcumbe rolling out his innovative business model into other areas of historical interest - the Dr Crippen Valentine Cruise; 'Moor The Merrier', an Ian Brady period costume walking tour for fitness-minded aficionados of the nexus of sixties transgressive art and crime (stout footwear recommended); the Wild Wild Wests' Fun House and Basement of Doom... The possibilities for a responsible huckster like our ex-Google chum are limited only by the imagination.

I look forward to Palmer-Edgcumbe rolling out his innovative business model into other areas of historical interest - the Dr Crippen Valentine Cruise; 'Moor The Merrier', an Ian Brady period costume walking tour for fitness-minded aficionados of the nexus of sixties transgressive art and crime (stout footwear recommended); the Wild Wild Wests' Fun House and Basement of Doom... The possibilities for a responsible huckster like our ex-Google chum are limited only by the imagination.

did you borrow my other half's sence of humour for the night?

Back
Top Bottom