Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mouse in a kitchen drawer

The cloves failed. I'm going to try cayenne pepper, then handkerchief soaked in peppermint oil if that fails.

It will be impossible to set and clear traps - just the way the kitchen is - so I'm going to continue the deterrents before a full-on chemical attack.

Make sure they can't get hold of any food and they'll go and live somewhere else, they say - problem is that the little fuckers will eat anything - spill a dribble of veg oil down the outside of the bottle and find in the morning that the little shits have eaten the oil-infused paper label right off the fucking bottle.

They gnawed into a bag of Arborio, too. I hate Tupperware, but it's the way forward for me. :(
Yeah its a pain but after one really bad year when they were everywhere, not scared at all, literally sitting on the sofa next to me like "what?" :eek: everything that doesn't come in glass of tins has to go in big jars, tubs, tins, Tupperware or hanging in a bag for life on a hook on the wall.

just bought some poison off Amazon, hope it works :-(
traps sounds a bit messy, would rather they just fucked off. I think blocking every single tiny hole in a victorian terrace sounds impossible - likewise cleaning up food, they can find morsels anywhere I think.

Never fancied using poison. I found most success with Little Nippers (may have mentioned this above), the ones with the big fuck-off spike you put the food on.

Never fancied using poison. I found most success with Little Nippers (may have mentioned this above), the ones with the big fuck-off spike you put the food on.
This. Caught one or two with a fancy electric one then the others ignored it. I came into my kitchen to see a mouse jumping out of my toaster :mad: then bought three old school wooden snap traps and caught one within 40 minutes of putting it down. They don't always result in a clean kill which is a bit brutal when you have to dispatch a maimed mousie :( but they do catch them.

This. Caught one or two with a fancy electric one then the others ignored it. I came into my kitchen to see a mouse jumping out of my toaster :mad: then bought three old school wooden snap traps and caught one within 40 minutes of putting it down. They don't always result in a clean kill which is a bit brutal when you have to dispatch a maimed mousie :( but they do catch them.

Oh aye, I keep the top of my toaster covered (with a baking tray) or the wee fuckers will go right in the slots when it is cool.

as in you didn't think it would work or other reasons? I just know that when we paid for a professional she came in and whacked a load of poison down... and that was it.

as in you didn't think it would work or other reasons? I just know that when we paid for a professional she came in and whacked a load of poison down... and that was it.
no sorry I should have said, I particularly don't like it because I've had a dog, although I don't really like the idea of them - if mouse goes off and dies then something might eat it? Not sure about this admittedly but with a trap it's in one place and you can see progress.

no sorry I should have said, I particularly don't like it because I've had a dog, although I don't really like the idea of them - if mouse goes off and dies then something might eat it? Not sure about this admittedly but with a trap it's in one place and you can see progress.

Yeah I'm wary for similar reasons - first concern my cat (cats in the past) as they do catch and eat mice, then other predatory/scavenging pets and wildlife who might find a poisoned mouse easy pickings, then what happens when it decomposes is that poison going into the ground etc.
I still think young energetic cats (and possibly some dogs, terriers etc.) are probably the best pest control, but traps in places that pets can't access are next best.

Back
Top Bottom