Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Most overused Clichés in movies/TV shows?

Noo, in a pool
Please describe.

Marco Polo is a kind of aquatic Blind Man’s Buff (bluff?) where the sightless player shouts “Marco” and the other players reply “Polo”, and try to avoid being caught via aural location.

Water Polo is like a cross between volleyball and Football but in a swimming pool.

Canoe polo is a variation of waterpolo, but the players are in short kayaks and they use their paddles to throw (flick?) the ball.

Polo is a very posh sport played with horses (ponies) and long handled wooden mallets.

Cycle polo is a bicycle version of the game with horses. It is quite full-contact and beloved by skateboarding-types.

These are the only games I’m aware of with polo in their name.
What are you talking about?

Please describe.

Marco Polo is a kind of aquatic Blind Man’s Buff (bluff?) where the sightless player shouts “Marco” and the other players reply “Polo”, and try to avoid being caught via aural location.

Water Polo is like a cross between volleyball and Football but in a swimming pool.

Canoe polo is a variation of waterpolo, but the players are in short kayaks and they use their paddles to throw (flick?) the ball.

Polo is a very posh sport played with horses (ponies) and long handled wooden mallets.

Cycle polo is a bicycle version of the game with horses. It is quite full-contact and beloved by skateboarding-types.

These are the only games I’m aware of with polo in their name.
What are you talking about?
Water polo - we called it polo as we were already on in the water so the word water was superfluous
Never come across Marco Polo even in film

Water polo - we called it polo as we were already on in the water so the word water was superfluous
Never come across Marco Polo even in film

I tried to play polo in the swimming pool once, my horse didn't like swimming though. And the council objected.

EDIT: I hope it is clear that this is a joke btw :D

Or... person stares at their reflection in the mirror before throwing an empty alcohol glass/bottle at the mirror, leaving their reflection distorted, indicating that they are a broken person.... as Ralph Wiggum would say: ''the rat symbolizes obviousness''

They do. Have seen people playing it in leisure pools
But the point originally was that in American films every kid in a pool plays Marco Polo. Which, even given that you haven’t noticed this trope, clearly has a different name. So why continue as if the point was about water polo?

But the point originally was that in American films every kid in a pool plays Marco Polo. Which, even given that you haven’t noticed this trope, clearly has a different name. So why continue as if the point was about water polo?
I thought it was about water polo. Was thinking of Meet The Fockers

In superhero films in particular, and to
some degree in monster and natural disaster ones too, innocent civilians in America find themselves perilously dangling from a weakened suspension bridge with surprising regularly,

In an assassination attempt that takes place in a hotel, restaurant, or conference centre, the baddie will invariably try to escape through the kitchens, and either he or the police giving chase will collide with a waiter carrying a big pile of trays or plates, sending everything flying into the air. On the way out the baddie will also topple a set of metal shelves in order to cause an obstacle.

In an assassination attempt that takes place in a hotel, restaurant, or conference centre, the baddie will invariably try to escape through the kitchens, and either he or the police giving chase will collide with a waiter carrying a big pile of trays or plates, sending everything flying into the air. On the way out the baddie will also topple a set of metal shelves in order to cause an obstacle.
Don't forget opening a fridge door to stop an armour piercing round.

And (I'll swear I've done this one) bumpted into killer and knocked weapon out of his hand but leaves it there and runs off, leaving killer to pick up weapon and give chase. :rolleyes:

Women, unwinding after a week of stress in their New York loft apartments, are always photographers, and party with an appropriate mix of friends of various skin colours, one of whom plays soft jazz piano in the background.

Last edited:
In certain types of adventure films, there is always a daft but loveable character who gets killed.

as to #2 - this actually happens in State Of Grace.
in which i see (just checked) gary oldman was,
so must watch again, if i can find it. iirc, the parade goes in the wrong direction, south on 5th, not north as it should.
Quite liked State of Grace. Great cast and frankly, there's not enough films about Irish American gangsters. One of those lost films that was rarely on the telly or made it to the streaming services. Like another crime flick (again with Sean Penn, but not Irish American) At Close Range.

Back
Top Bottom