Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be a sanctionable offence to provide links that don't actually support the argument being made and to insist that those links say things they really don't anyway.

It's the kind of stuff that Dr Jazzzz used to get in trouble for.

How much of the methane is down to escapes in the production and distribution of natural gas?

How much is produced from waste rotting in landfill sites? Where previously we produced very little waste.

How much is produced by the human waste from the vast increase in population since then?

There are a lot less horses around since then as well which will have reduced the amount of methane from animals.
Lots, lots, lots, yes.

Ah good. Another bit of pointless vegan hating, this time dug up from your personal archives. Great stuff.
Dug up from my personal archive, certainly. A pretty old vintage as well, as it happens. However, the reason I dug it up is that the website you linked to adopts the same sanctimonious tone - not about 'hating vegans' at all, but a dig at vegan policeman types certainly.

Did you note the rather wonderful use of the 'no true Scotsman' argument in there? Not sure I've ever seen a finer example of that particular logical fallacy being used 'in the wild' before.

Just looked it up for bison. Bison emit as much or a bit more methane in their farts as cows per bum. There were 60 million in the US 200 years ago. There are 90 million cattle there today. So a small increase, but only a small one. Only 5 million sheep in the US, surprisingly - fewer than Wales.

That's bison alone - without mentioning all the other wild ruminants in the US (deer etc)
The US is not particularly big on sheep, partly, I suspect due to an abundance of wildlife capable of eating them.

Don't forget that there are vast areas that once supported ruminants that have now become desert - see buffaloes and Savannah lost to desertification.

Increases in atmospheric methane seem to correlate directly with fossil fuels- the most recent increase seems to be down to fracking. I'm sure that I read a paper whereby chemists can identify from whence methane has come and fracking seems to be the culprit.

Edited to add: here it is Fracking prompts global spike in atmospheric methane, study suggests

So fuck all to do with meat eating then.

No, the methane cycle as regards ruminants has been around as long as ruminants have, and so unless we manage to increase the numbers of ruminants beyond that which the planet can support, then it is within natural parameters.
As animal agriculture gets more efficient (for example milk yield per cow increase due to genetics), we need to keep less of them, and therefore less methane is emitted.
The other slight complication is that if we remove farmed ruminants, but leave the habitat unchanged, then wild ruminants will simply occupy that niche.

Dug up from my personal archive, certainly. A pretty old vintage as well, as it happens. However, the reason I dug it up is that the website you linked to adopts the same sanctimonious tone - not about 'hating vegans' at all, but a dig at vegan policeman types certainly.
So you need to dredge up a personal vegan-bashing 'anecdote' whenever a linked website has a 'tone' you don't like? Marvellous stuff.

No, the methane cycle as regards ruminants has been around as long as ruminants have, and so unless we manage to increase the numbers of ruminants beyond that which the planet can support, then it is within natural parameters.
As animal agriculture gets more efficient (for example milk yield per cow increase due to genetics), we need to keep less of them, and therefore less methane is emitted.
The other slight complication is that if we remove farmed ruminants, but leave the habitat unchanged, then wild ruminants will simply occupy that niche.
Fascinating stuff but also quite intuitive. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it before as it's an absolute hammer blow to one of the primary anti-meat arguments.

Herd composition with wild ruminants won't be the same though, nor the diet for most, which surely impacts the methane output per head. Then you have the ancillary effects of shipping in the food in most cases and shipping out the product, so while there's mileage in the comparison it's not a like for like replacement in environmental terms. Should think your natural parameters is about right or could be made to be with not much effort but it's not a case of one activity straightforwardly replacing a wild analogue.

So fuck all to do with meat eating then.
Yes, the spike appears to be down to fracking. Its seems that other uses are harder to differentiate so this alone would not get agriculture off the hook for longer term increases.

You can really see the recent increase here after a slow increase and even slight reductions since the eighties.ch4_trend_all_gl.png

Here is a study I refered to previously.

Herd composition with wild ruminants won't be the same though, nor the diet for most, which surely impacts the methane output per head. Then you have the ancillary effects of shipping in the food in most cases and shipping out the product, so while there's mileage in the comparison it's not a like for like replacement in environmental terms. Should think your natural parameters is about right or could be made to be with not much effort but it's not a case of one activity straightforwardly replacing a wild analogue.
Sure, but the anti-meat argument is fallacious to a far greater degree as they say 'cow farming is destroying the environment with GG emissions' full stop. With that context it's quite clearly nonsense.

Sure, but the anti-meat argument is fallacious to a far greater degree as they say 'cow farming is destroying the environment with GG emissions' full stop. With that context it's quite clearly nonsense.
Yes, looks like the usual case of seizing on something without thinking it through.

Herd composition?
A piece of land will have a carrying capacity in terms of the biomass it can support, how the animals are aggregated within that space has little impact. Sure, farmers will manage their grazing availability in a way that wild animals probably don't.
The diet is pretty similar. Grazing animals graze on whatever they can metabolise.
Different types of ruminant will obviously have different diets -
Concentrate selectors (deer etc) can digest limited fibre.
Intermediate feeders (sheep, goats, moose) tend to adapt diet seasonally.
Roughage grazers (Cattle, Bison, Buffalo) are non selective and have a good ability to digest fibre.
They all still have a rumen, which utilises the same method (ie symbiotic microbes) to begin digesting high cellulose foods.

It is nonesense, but serves two purposes:
People want "easy" solutions to feel good about themselves, and not eating meat is something you can do quite easily without really altering your day to day existence, thanks to global supply chains. Telling people not to use fossil fuels by getting on an aeroplane to go on holiday is a much harder sell, and the petrochemical industry is very well organised, lobbies effectively and has good PR.
Farming, by and large is a lot of disparate SMEs, who often can't agree on anything. Sure, the NFU exists, but relies on farmers paying membership etc- Farmers are often vocally critical of the NFU and AHDB.

Secondly: industrially produced "fake meats" are a massive growth industry currently, attracting huge investment from food processors/venture capitalists who have glimpsed the opportunity to completely cut those pesky farmers out of food production, potentially significantly increasing their margins.
It's no accident that C4 aired Monbiots "Apocalypse cow" just after heavily investing in a fake meat company....

Dim recall is the output per kilo varies with the age of the animal, and age structure of a natural herd different to domestic. Might be misremembering.
I imagine it's more to do with the mass of the individual animal - also the rumen is bypassed in juvenile ruminants until they start to graze/wean

Love the way that the meat eaters here - none of whom are particularly qualified, if at all, to dismiss the findings of multiple science-based studies - have all decided amongst themselves the meat industry is just about blameless when it comes to its well documented detrimental impact on the environment.

I think the highlight for me was when I listed around 10 articles linking to studies, and each one was dismissed with a one line statement to the general agreement of all concerned.

There are many farms locally where dairy cattle almost never (or actually never in one case I can think of) go outside. It's hard to imagine that it would make much difference to the wild ruminants who would take their place whether they were there in their shed or not tbh.

Love the way that the meat eaters here - none of whom are particularly qualified, if at all, to dismiss the findings of multiple science-based studies - have all decided amongst themselves the meat industry is just about blameless when it comes to its well documented detrimental impact on the environment.

I think the highlight for me was when I listed around 10 articles linking to studies, and each one was dismissed with a one line statement to the general agreement of all concerned.

Not particularly qualified?
How much more qualified would you like me to be?
Also - I've read most of those articles before (unsurprisingly) and that was off the top of my head, considering that this is something I do for fun.

There are many farms locally where dairy cattle almost never (or actually never in one case I can think of) go outside. It's hard to imagine that it would make much difference to the wild ruminants who would take their place whether they were there in their shed or not tbh.

No graze systems still require the food to be grown, it's just fed to the cattle rather than them going out to graze, ie the silage mower/wrapper takes their place in the environment.

Also - I've read most of those articles before (unsurprisingly) and that was off the top of my head, considering that this is something I do for fun.
It's quite clear that all of the articles referred to were studies which had been re-purposed by someone with an agenda and given hyperbolic titles. Very sloppy and more than a bit disingenuous to present that kind of stuff as bullet-proof fact.

I didn't realise that you'd contributed to international peer reviewed studies on the environmental impact of the meat industry. My apologises.

It's quite clear that all of the articles referred to were studies which had been re-purposed by someone with an agenda and given hyperbolic titles. Very sloppy to present that kind of stuff as bullet-proof fact.
It's what the press does - "dull" science doesn't sell newspapers or indeed serve the financial interests of the newspaper owners.

Its amazing to me that we can all see this and (often) rip them to shreds when it comes to other aspects of politics, but oddly, we take their word as gospel when it comes to food production and farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom