Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take note.

Is v. fair-minded that editor hasn't booted me tbf - was expecting that. :)

I think it's worth broadening the discussion beyond us the argument around us personally reducing our meat consumption in our neck of the woods, though (although, aside from ditching your private jet, it's possibly the biggest contribution a 'rich Westerner' can make).

WARNING - Intuitive thinking follows: I think if you wanted to make pasture-raised beef in the amounts created by far more destructive and intensive farming methods, you might need a few extra planets. That's not an expert view, though, so let's see what comes along.
You do realise that pasture grows continuously unlike grain that only produces one crop per year.

So how would you address the over population 'problem'?

Surely it's about education, persuasion and hinting to people that they might be being selfish, same as trying to get people to reduce their meat intake? Maybe you shouldn't eat meat everyday.. maybe you shouldn't fly 10 times a year... maybe you shouldn't try for a 4th kid.

Surely it's about education, persuasion and hinting to people that they might be being selfish, same as trying to get people to reduce their meat intake? Maybe you shouldn't eat meat everyday.. maybe you shouldn't fly 10 times a year... maybe you shouldn't try for a 4th kid.
I think this thread might reveal how some (hopefully not most) meat eaters respond to such attempts at education.

Because absolutely everyone can afford that and there's plenty of space and plenty of resources for the pasture raised beef, yes? And all those silly billy experts and scientists with their studies saying that we have to reduce the planet's beef consumption. What do they know, eh?
You do realise I was replying to the experts you quoted don't you?

So in other words you don't bother reading your own evidence. :(

Oh, wait:
:facepalm:

In any case, you have the basic thermodynamics involved (which means the larger the animal produced, the larger the energy inputs, as well as the massive transition in calories in vs. out when you grow food to feed an animal to feed humans, as oppoised to growing food to feed humans directly), as well as the fact that no one creates factory farming practices because they are cruel - they do it because you end up with a shitload more beef compared to your resource inputs (ie. the money you are spending).

So basically, the more 'humane'* you are going to be, the less meat you will end up with, and in any market economy, that means it is going to be more expensive.

We can't really get round these facts.

* - not even going there with the philosophy, just going to assume some degree of good faith understanding

You do realise that pasture grows continuously unlike grain that only produces one crop per year.

Indeed. So you have to factor in the amount of land needed to produce a given amount of beef in order to even start any kind of "like for like" way of calculating things.

It's well out of my area of expertise, but I'm interested in the discussion.

Right so this 'evidence' contradicts your previous 'evidence'. Sounds like your 'experts' can't make their minds up. :facepalm:
The overwhelming scientific consensus is that meat-rich diets are having a hugely negative impact on the environment and are unsustainable.

If you wish to challenge their findings, feel free.

I've no idea what your point is, If you're going to quote someone, make it obvious, FFS.
He doesn't always read discussions before quoting or commenting. I was talking about possible future avian or swine flu outbreaks earlier and he quoted me and started talking about Pangolins.

He doesn't always read discussions before quoting or commenting. I was talking about possible future avian or swine flu outbreaks earlier and he quoted me and started talking about Pangolins.

I'm getting a little confused now - seems you could be referring to maybe 3 different things here.

So which bit of the population is 'over'? Presumably not a bit that includes you.

Not going down this rabbit hole again, cos I've done it too many times on here, but no the problem is unsustainable consumption, most of it done by the rich in parts of the world whose population is no longer increasing.

No the problem is not unsustainable consumption, the problem is unsustainable production. Production = consumption + waste, and about 40% of all food is thrown away rather than consumed. And not just that, but food waste is growing faster than food consumption. And yes, contrary to what the over-consumption crowd would have us believe, it is indeed the production of food that is having the environmental impact and not the consumption of it. Leading us to...

Probably a good idea, because any 'solution' to your over population 'problem' strays into extremely dodgy ground. Funnily enough, almost all the studies don't put the blame at third world people having 'too many' children, and say that there's ample food around if people just changed their diets and, you know, ate less meat.

We already produce over 33% more food than is needed to feed everyone. But, us living in a capitalist economy and all that, it just happens to be more profitable to throw it away than to use it to feed people. Of course such a position would require structural analysis and anti-capitalism, so who would ever want to do that when, instead, you can just moralistically finger-wag random individuals enjoying a steak? And deity forbid it would actually entail finger-wagging the capitalists - you know, those people who actually profit off producing food waste while millions starve to death each year - rather than finger-wagging your own class and we can't have that, can we?

Overpopulation rhetoric is eco-fascist nonsense, overconsumption rhetoric is liberal nonsense.

No the problem is not unsustainable consumption, the problem is unsustainable production. Production = consumption + waste, and about 40% of all food is thrown away rather than consumed. And not just that, but food waste is growing faster than food consumption. And yes, contrary to what the over-consumption crowd would have us believe, it is indeed the production of food that is having the environmental impact and not the consumption of it. Leading us to...

We already produce over 33% more food than is needed to feed everyone. But, us living in a capitalist economy and all that, it just happens to be more profitable to throw it away than to use it to feed people. Of course such a position would require structural analysis and anti-capitalism, so who would ever want to do that when, instead, you can just moralistically finger-wag random individuals enjoying a steak? And deity forbid it would actually entail finger-wagging the capitalists - you know, those people who actually profit off producing food waste while millions starve to death each year - rather than finger-wagging your own class and we can't have that, can we?

Overpopulation rhetoric is eco-fascist nonsense, overconsumption rhetoric is liberal nonsense.
That doesn't deal with the ecological issues though does it? You could reduce waste and improve distribution to feed everyone and still have many of the environmental impacts including high though reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Is it possible to feed everyone and reduce environmental impacts without changing production far more than just reducing waste? Could a change of what people consume be a part of this? There are also issues around top soil and fertility. Capitalist agriculture has done massive damage. Dealing with that legacy will require major changes in production. A move away from that agriculture and its environmental impact while not reducing yields by more than that wasted surplus third could be a challenge.

I've been thinking about this thread and how all the other threads about doing things for the environment don't get such an emotional response.

Everyone knows that you're supposed to try not to fly or to drive a massive gas guzzler or buy shit loads of clothes and that's fine, but the minute anyone mentions meat and dairy consumption, people are lining up to tell you why it's not true or - better yet - to tell you why it doesn't apply to them. You don't really get that on the other environmental threads.

And then they try to 'other' the people who are trying to do their bit by calling them all sorts of nicknames. 'They eat mostly vegetables. They're not like me.'

I suppose I can understand the emotional response, some people really like meat, I get it. But the easiest way to influence what is grown in the fields, what the BPS applies to, for example, is to eat less meat and dairy - any kind of meat and dairy - so that farmers are encouraged to grow other crops (and yes, I am aware of the Welsh hill farmer argument, thank you, but it only applies to a very small amount of actual grazed land).

I've been thinking about this thread and how all the other threads about doing things for the environment don't get such an emotional response.

Everyone knows that you're supposed to try not to fly or to drive a massive gas guzzler or buy shit loads of clothes and that's fine, but the minute anyone mentions meat and dairy consumption, people are lining up to tell you why it's not true or - better yet - to tell you why it doesn't apply to them. You don't really get that on the other environmental threads.
It's because of the characters that are involved on here and the combative natures of the relationships that have developed specifically on these boards over the years. Take a look at the thread titles started by the OP on the subject and you'll find that the majority are highly provocative, like this one. Similarly there is no shortage of threads that deliberately bait vegans. Add to that the fact that the discourse is often vegans telling "carnists" that their dietery habits are destroying the planet/poor people's habitats/morality, and the "carnists" telling the vegans to fuck off; it's hardly a recipe for serious intellectual engagement.

It's because of the characters that are involved on here and the combative natures of the relationships that have developed specifically on these boards over the years. Take a look at the thread titles started by the OP on the subject and you'll find that the majority are highly provocative, like this one. Similarly there is no shortage of threads that deliberately bait vegans. Add to that the fact that the discourse is often vegans telling "carnists" that their dietery habits are destroying the planet/poor people's habitats/morality, and the "carnists" telling the vegans to fuck off; it's hardly a recipe for serious intellectual engagement.
But you're saying vegans. Most aren't vegans, they're people just trying to do their bit. I agree about the title, which describes people as meat eaters. Maybe we should stop ascribing pigeon holes for people on both sides.

And the first person who says 'mmmmm... pigeon...' gets a good hard slap (emotional response, see).

But you're saying vegans. Most aren't vegans, they're people just trying to do their bit.
But you were discussing the difference between meat-eating and other environmental threads. The vast majority of the meat /vegan threads on U75 have 3 main protagonists on the anti-meat side and all 3 are highly militant vegans who attract opprobrium from loads of omnivores and even occasionally vegetarians! The other environmental issue threads have far more evenly distibuted opinions so are less likely to result in immediate war. Even dietary discussion threads will often stay civilised until one or more of those three get involved and start banging on about fragile carnist murderers eating “rotting flesh” drinking "cow juice" and destroying the planet!

These threads often have little to do with the professed subject matter and are simply one group versus another despite some well meaning interventions from posters of both views which get lost in the bunfight.

Last edited:
It would help if Supermarkets weren't allowed to reject wonky veg resulting in farmers ploughing tonnes of edible food back into the ground. Or stop supermarkets tying farmers in to only supplying them. That was the farmers could sell wonky veg to places that can use it like in soup or juices or as diced veg.

It would help if Supermarkets weren't allowed to reject wonky veg resulting in farmers ploughing tonnes of edible food back into the ground. Or stop supermarkets tying farmers in to only supplying them. That was the farmers could sell wonky veg to places that can use it like in soup or juices or as diced veg.

Was out for a walk a few years ago and happened across a field full of massive carrots. Not even particularly wonky but kind of the size of your forearm. The farmer was there and said some were going to feed a farmer mate's pigs but most were being ploughed back in (think he used a different term which I dimly needed explaining) because the supermarkets won't take them.

It occurred to me later to ask what about companies that make soup etc. but I guess you've answered my question. Really seems exceptionally stupid if supermarkets can make such demands about what they are not buying. :mad:

A move away from that agriculture and its environmental impact while not reducing yields by more than that wasted surplus third could be a challenge.
It's not quite the challenge some make it out to be, though. The challenge is to move away from capitalism and the destructive monocultures it promotes. High-yield, intensive, but sustainable farming practices, in which crops are grown in mixed fields, have been shown to work and produce higher yields than industrialised farming methods without destroying soils. These methods require care, attention, and a lot of labour, but then that just highlights one of the contradictions in many of the Malthusian arguments - on the one hand, there are a lot of people to feed, while on the other hand, the sustainable processes by which so many people are fed require a lot of people to do the work. There's a solution hiding in there somewhere.

It's not quite the challenge some make it out to be, though. The challenge is to move away from capitalism and the destructive monocultures it promotes. High-yield, intensive, but sustainable farming practices, in which crops are grown in mixed fields, have been shown to work and produce higher yields than industrialised farming methods without destroying soils. These methods require care, attention, and a lot of labour, but then that just highlights one of the contradictions in many of the Malthusian arguments - on the one hand, there are a lot of people to feed, while on the other hand, the sustainable processes by which so many people are fed require a lot of people to do the work. There's a solution hiding in there somewhere.
And where will that leave consumers? Will it still support large numbers of livestock? Some animals are more polluting than others perhaps a change of diet will help or maybe there will be less available.What about all those who want to take up something along the lines of a western diet when it comes to meat? Can this be supported?

And where will that leave consumers? Will it still support large numbers of livestock? Some animals are more polluting than others perhaps a change of diet will help or maybe there will be less available.What about all those who want to take up something along the lines of a western diet when it comes to meat? Can this be supported?
Well first we need to characterise the problem correctly. Firstly, very broadly, living standards are improving on every continent except Africa. Infant mortality reducing, malnutrition reducing, life expectancy increasing (and for the Malthusian-minded among us, reproduction falling, often sharply).

Clearly there are areas on these continents that are continuing along lines of unsustainable production, and in many cases accelerating along those lines. To take one example, the cattle farming of Argentina has largely switched to the barn model in recent years, which is both horrible for the cows and horrible for the environment. Much of this beef is exported (although Argentines themselves eat a lot of it), but it doesn't go to Africa. For the majority of the people in sub-Saharan Africa whose living standards are falling while the rest of the world improves, meat is either not on the menu at all or it is a very rare luxury.

So the driver of change to ever less sustainable (and ever more cruel) production isn't the poor. It's the consumption habits of rich. Can we support 'loads of cheap meat for all'? Hard to see how. Can we move away from 'loads of (comparatively given wages) cheap meat for the rich'? Yes, and we'll need to, but not all meat production is equally unsustainable - pretty much all of British lamb production, for instance, is far more sustainable than, say, Argentinian beef.

What are the social and political means by which we produce a shift away from unsustainable practices? That's the real question here. And I think it's a cop-out to blame individual consumers. These are processes that need changing at the systemic level. I'm not going to have a go at a single mum on a limited budget opting for a multipack of chicken thighs at Lidl that can feed her whole family for a couple of quid. The danger as ever in this is that the burden and blame get placed on the wrong people - the poorer globally and the poorer locally - the people for whom 'choices' are in reality far more constrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom