Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mask Making - Covid Crafty Corner

i have a Decent Flat Sheet and a sewing machine. if i can figure out a fairly standard pattern with a sample size of 4 (cat doesn't count) i can make and give away locally, if they're going to be needed and/or any actual use.

have a box of decorators masks i used for enamelling that will be one of many boxes in my "studio". no idea what rating they are but i hated wearing them anyway. mebbes i can liberate them at some point...

i've had a bit of a psychological thing to get over wrt facemasks. luckily exposure therapy seems to be doing its thing atm.

for a basic wash-and-wear mask (Boudicca the one you posted looks doable over and over) is something like a high thread-count cotton a good choice?

eta: quilting cottons i'm assuming are too loose a weave?
The recommendation seems to be two layers of finely woven cotton (so quilting cotton is fine) which can be washed hot, plus a pocket for a filter made of something non-woven i.e. kitchen towel, coffee filter or a piece of hoover bag (although there is some controversy over some bags which have a particular ingredient). If you used the quilting cotton on the outside and sheeting on the inside, all should be good.

The one I posted up thread is good but takes a long time to make. I've joined a Dorset based Facebook group called Frontline Facemasks which is making them for care workers, am half way through a batch of 22 pale blue ones and am losing the will to live.

If you are mass producing, I'd start with the one I linked to in post 40. It won't let me load the full instructions for the more complicated one (post 12), because the file is too big, so let me know if you want it and I will try by PM or email or summat.

The third option is curved seam down the middle of the face (moose has made a nice one of these), but there are lots of different shapes, some of which don't work at all.

If you are on Facebook, there is a group called Mask Makers UK which has some of the more popular patterns and some generally helpful stuff.

thanks for specific advice bou :cool:

not on facebook. i just wanted to make something that means the fam don't have the "i don't have a mask" excuse to not FUCK OFF OUT OF THE HOUSE :oops: xxx

The third option is curved seam down the middle of the face (moose has made a nice one of these), but there are lots of different shapes, some of which don't work at all.
Mine's certainly very snug both under the chin and across the top, even without wire, but also comfy. And the fabric's so tightly woven that breathing in and out sucks the fabric in and out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom