Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mask Making - Covid Crafty Corner

Human hair approx 1/10 mm or 100 uM

View attachment 205567
Bounds on filtering requirements: whilst the SARS-CoV-2 virion is about 60-140nm in size (DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2001017), exhaled droplets are in the range 10nm-1mm (DOI: 10.1186/s12931-019-0970-9). Some of the larger droplets (mainly 1-10µm range) could each potentially transport more virions and can be projected up to 8m by unshielded coughing and sneezing (DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.4756); smaller droplets evaporate sooner and much larger ones will tend to follow short ballistic paths.

A decent fitted cycling mask, filtering PM10 and PM2.5, will significantly reduce droplet (and hence virion) numbers and range (some models have been measured to have efficiencies of ~85% filtering down to single digits nanometres! Quite favourable compared to commercial N95 masks. DOI: 10.1186/1743-8977-6-8).

I tried wearing a mask, but my glasses steam up with every exhalation... :( I don't know how I can stop that, I don't think I can.. And I have a proper dust mask as well, my son had a couple from work... (UC-P3V)

View attachment 205560
Same here, think wire/ pipe cleaner at the top to get a better nose fit may help. Or wearing the mask high enough to use the glasses frame to squish it down.

Note: all I am trying to with my mask, is reduce my own exhaled droplets / vapour from spreading around as much. I know it’s not protecting me.

But I’d still rather keep my glasses on when I’m out.

I made a fabric mask, wasn’t perfect but quite easy. Looking for tips before making another.

So far - different material front & back
  • Leave a pocket for filter of some kind.
  • find some wire for the nose

I agree.

And I think we should have masks too, proper ones. If most people are wearing them and gloves/eye protection, it'll cut down the number of people needing treatment. But they've got to be proper ones, not make shift cut up bits of t-shirt. That ain't stopping shit. If people (Joe public etc) buy masks that the hospitals are not using, then it shouldn't take anything away from front line workers who obviously need it most.

So non disposable masks that you have to clean and change filters on are what I'm talking about. Prices range from 20 odd quid to 100. (I don't think hospital staff are using these, I could be wrong) Add filters to that. Still cheaper than disposable ones.

They’re not using them because they’re designed to filter your breath going in, and do precisely fuck all to filter it going out.

I made a fabric mask, wasn’t perfect but quite easy. Looking for tips before making another.

So far - different material front & back
  • Leave a pocket for filter of some kind.
  • find some wire for the nose

I don't know how far you are from me but I have pipe cleaners galore if you cant find any. You could pick one up on your state sanctioned walk.

I'm surprised by people's faith in what's written in little black letters, like N95, on a mask made in a country where some manufacturers are prepared to put the CE mark on any old toxic crap and produce knock-off goods of all descriptions. There's no saying that a 3M mask is just that.The folded bandana gives 8 layers of fairly high thread-count cotton which isn't as good as the real non-woven material etc but might well be better than something claiming to be.

I am not often right. Our Health Ministry has just withdrawn from use 10s 0f 1000s of Garry Galaxy N95 masks because they don't work.

Official advice in Scotland to cover your nose and mouth in shops now. Today I just wore a cycling buff but it felt like it was slipping down all the time. I've just experimented with a few versions of the folding/hairbands type and found my ears aren't big/strong enough to hold it on properly - they just fold forward :facepalm: I think I need something with elastic bands that go right round my head :hmm:

Official advice in Scotland to cover your nose and mouth in shops now. Today I just wore a cycling buff but it felt like it was slipping down all the time. I've just experimented with a few versions of the folding/hairbands type and found my ears aren't big/strong enough to hold it on properly - they just fold forward :facepalm: I think I need something with elastic bands that go right round my head :hmm:
My friend said the same so I've made him one with elastic which goes all the way around the back of the head, top and bottom. Because he is living here, I have been able to make the elastic length to fit his head, but I have seen others done with a long shoelace or ties made from stretched 1" slices of old T-shirt.

Science says use different types of fabric as they trap things in different ways. Cotton will physically stop and hold particles but polyester captures particles electrostatically as well.

No matter how good the fabric is gaps will reduce performance a lot, up to 60% less effective filtration even with small holes.

Scientists Have Figured Out The Best Materials to Use if You're Making a Mask at Home
The masks need to be washed at 60 degrees and polyester doesn't do well washed that hot. Some of the good quality polycottons are OK though.

And most cheap bedlinen is polycotton if you have old pillowcases lying around...

Also - maybe the elastic bands or hair bands are too strong for your ears?
You can get a softer band by cutting a 1 inch hoop from a tights leg
(I’ve used this as an emergency hair bobble before, not sure it would be firm enough here)

I made a friend some of those ear protector things last week but I don't see why home made masks can't just be tied behind your head? Ok it might catch in your hair a bit but I;d rather that than irritate my ears tbh. I intend to wear a buff type thing or a loose scarf when I have to go to the shops, too claustrophobic to handle a proper mask :(

girasol you can get demister stuff for motorbike visors, that should also work on glasses. Husband says washing up liquid would leave a slight film on your glasses but you might not want squidgy that close to your eyes. Rub it on, wipe it off he says. Should last a couple of days.

Not a mask, diy face shield

DIY_Face_Shield_(pafe_2).png

The better ones of these have a piece of foam across the forehead to hold the screen away from the face, otherwise the nose tips it away from the chin and the virus can creep in at the bottom.

HAL9000 I saw an interesting one made out of a clear 2l plastic bottle:

Last edited:
I can’t remotely sew at all so I ordered some from a local sewing business. They’re lovely but huge on my face so I’ve stopped wearing them as I have to constantly readjust it which makes it pointless I think as I’m touching my face all the time. I’ve had the same problem with the glasses steaming up too. Trying to find someone making children’s masks now.

Those of you able to sew are so talented. So amazed at what you can do! :)

i've had a bit of a psychological thing to get over wrt facemasks. luckily exposure therapy seems to be doing its thing atm.

for a basic wash-and-wear mask (Boudicca the one you posted looks doable over and over) is something like a high thread-count cotton a good choice?

eta: quilting cottons i'm assuming are too loose a weave?

Turns out my Tyvek coverall is chemical grade - can't find the pore size anywhere but I reckon it will do - I may cut up a tee shirt too ...
am just catching up with thread from beginning. can't wait to see how you get on. i have tyvek from college, not sure i'd like to try breathing through it for any length of time...

am just catching up with thread from beginning. can't wait to see how you get on. i have tyvek from college, not sure i'd like to try breathing through it for any length of time...
I haven't actually done anything about it - though something arrived yesterday in the post with elastic bands ...
I've just been using one of my polyester cycling tube scarfs - plus only leaving my front gate once a week ...

I probably need to actually make something reassuring to others .. I'll see what I can do with tee shirt fabric, perhaps plus tyvek, inner-tube elastic bands and cord - I briefly found needle and thread the other week ...

Back
Top Bottom