Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

FpMqCu9X0AY7uOO

Damn and I always thought checks name the @centredevils. Twitter account was the last bastion of true Manchester United fans. How wrong I was.

However much I hate to agree with your posts, I think that's likely for a good few of the United 'rebel' fans. At least a likelihood that they'll just shut up.

As far as this (nominal) United fan is concerned, if they end up as a Qatari sportswash project, they can fuck right off. Can in fact fuck off twice as far as they can now under the Glazer theft model.

Looking forward to Gary Neville's positioning on this. 'Erm, but didn't you take money from...'.

However much I hate to agree with your posts, I think that's likely for a good few of the United 'rebel' fans. At least a likelihood that they'll just shut up.

As far as this (nominal) United fan is concerned, if they end up as a Qatari sportswash project, they can fuck right off. Can in fact fuck off twice as far as they can now under the Glazer theft model.
From what I can see its the same as Newcastle, City etc. 95% of fans desperate to suck on that oily teat if it means they can sign the latest guy to get 12 in 10 in Ligue 1. Depressing amount of people on twitter with the yellow and green symbol in their bio apparently quite happy to get in line.

Modern Football etc. :(

I think the especially depressing thing about it is that Man Utd already have more than enough money to do whatever the fuck they want, this seems like selling your soul for the sake of it.

From what I can see its the same as Newcastle, City etc. 95% of fans desperate to suck on that oily teat if it means they can sign the latest guy to get 12 in 10 in Ligue 1. Depressing amount of people on twitter with the yellow and green symbol in their bio apparently quite happy to get in line.

Modern Football etc. :(
In some senses, it should be slightly different, in that they've had a semi 'politicised' campaign against the Glazers and also the European super league nonsense. You'd think that would at least run on as a strong reservation against sportswash ownership. Got a feeling it won't though, even if it leads to tiny numbers heading off to FC United. Suppose the other thing is that United have had recent success, so the fans shouldn't be quite as desperate as the Newcastle and City fans were. Again though, I'm not holding my breath.

As you say, modern football. :(

I think the especially depressing thing about it is that Man Utd already have more than enough money to do whatever the fuck they want, this seems like selling your soul for the sake of it.
'Phew, we've got our soul back from the Glazers.... doh!'

That seems a different conversation. The other poster was implying the club had loads of money now which isn't the case thanks to the Glazers.
Of course if all clubs went back to just having as much money as they earned on tickets, prize money, the actual football stuff, United would top of the pile again.
But football ownership is just fucked and the ship sailed a long time ago for anyone to try and do anything.
Proper United fans fought it more than most going back to the Bskyb takeover days but now the FA/PL/Gov dont care.

That seems a different conversation. The other poster was implying the club had loads of money now which isn't the case thanks to the Glazers.
Of course if all clubs went back to just having as much money as they earned on tickets, prize money, the actual football stuff, United would top of the pile again.
But football ownership is just fucked and the ship sailed a long time ago for anyone to try and do anything.
Proper United fans fought it more than most going back to the Bskyb takeover days but now the FA/PL/Gov dont care.
Around a billion spent on players since Ferguson 'retired' doesn't suggest poverty.

Many United fans also seems blind to the fact that the club hierarchy, including Ferguson and Charlton, defended the Glazers to the hilt.

'Of course if all clubs went back to just having as much money as they earned on tickets, prize money, the actual football stuff, United would top of the pile again.' That was never the way professional football was run.

Net spend?
The point of this conversation was that it's not coming from the owners - they're taking it out.
I'm well aware of the history and who said what, trust me.
And for the finances of clubs - you're splitting hairs. Having state-funded teams is not on the same planet as one local factory owner being richer than another.

Net spend?
The point of this conversation was that it's not coming from the owners - they're taking it out.
I'm well aware of the history and who said what, trust me.
And for the finances of clubs - you're splitting hairs. Having state-funded teams is not on the same planet as one local factory owner being richer than another.
I know they take a profit out of the club. The club hierarchy knew this would happen when they backed the Glazers' buy-out. But under the Glazers, the club has spent an absolute fortune on players, and when Ferguson was still at the helm were massively successful.

I remember a group of anti-Glazer types who confronted Charlton, and were told that he didn't support them, and that the Glazers were great owners (what else was he going to say?) Ferguson made several similar statements. The entire United hierarchy seemed to have no problem with the Glazers, and neither did the majority of the support base. Even when United's success waned, only a minority were actively concerned about the Glazer ownership. I'm not even being hostile in saying any of this. It's reinforced by being from a Mancunian family with a number of 'proper' United fans, and United supporting mates going back as far as early childhood.

And for the finances of clubs - you're splitting hairs. Having state-funded teams is not on the same planet as one local factory owner being richer than another

Even leaving aside the inaccuracies contained in this statement, it contradicts what you've said about that ship having sailed long ago. It seems to me that most United fans are making the psychological adjustment to cope with Qatari takeover (not that they had any problems with Middle-East business and politicans before, other than them owning rivals, just like fans of other clubs).

And didn't the big Yonner Sir Jim Ratcliffe make his vast fortune in... oil?

Last edited:
Pleased to see Rashford scoring again. He finally seems to have recovered from the racist abuse he got for missing that penalty (wtf they're all fucking random) and being told to stfu about treating poor people fairly.

I know they take a profit out of the club. The club hierarchy knew this would happen when they backed the Glazers' buy-out. But under the Glazers, the club has spent an absolute fortune on players, and when Ferguson was still at the helm were massively successful.

I remember a group of anti-Glazer types who confronted Charlton, and were told that he didn't support them, and that the Glazers were great owners (what else was he going to say?) Ferguson made several similar statements. The entire United hierarchy seemed to have no problem with the Glazers, and neither did the majority of the support base. Even when United's success waned, only a minority were actively concerned about the Glazer ownership. I'm not even being hostile in saying any of this. It's reinforced by being from a Mancunian family with a number of 'proper' United fans, and United supporting mates going back as far as early childhood.

Even leaving aside the inaccuracies contained in this statement, it contradicts what you've said about that ship having sailed long ago. It seems to me that most United fans are making the psychological adjustment to cope with Qatari takeover (not that they had any problems with Middle-East business and politicans before, other than them owning rivals, just like fans of other clubs).

And didn't the big Yonner Sir Jim Ratcliffe make his vast fortune in... oil?
I don't disagree with a lot of that but now no longer know what your point is?
I know lots of United fans never cared - even 'proper' ones at the ground. I used to go home/away/Europe so remember people coming to blows over Glazers at the time. and Fergie and others involvement is well-documented.

Pleased to see Rashford scoring again. He finally seems to have recovered from the racist abuse he got for missing that penalty (wtf they're all fucking random) and being told to stfu about treating poor people fairly.

I seem to recall him receiving lots of flak from his own fans

For four seasons, up until last season and this, the League Cup was the Mickey Mouse cup. Now it's a symbol of world conquest.

Can't think why.

For four seasons, up until last season and this, the League Cup was the Mickey Mouse cup. Now it's a symbol of world conquest.

Can't think why.
nah, it hasn't been won by a non 'Big 6' club for ten years, they all use it as a season opener now

Scudamore: 'The Premier League brand needs a successful Manchester United' (or words to that effect.)

It isn't primarily a sport anymore.

nah, it hasn't been won by a non 'Big 6' club for ten years, they all use it as a season opener now
As a supporter of a club which has (for now at least) muscled its way into the elite, I would love to see a non-'Big Six' club win a major trophy every season. But if humans are still here in 30-50 years, and assuming no civilisational collapse, it is absolutely guaranteed that this will not have happened.

As a supporter of a club which has (for now at least) muscled its way into the elite, I would love to see a non-'Big Six' club win a major trophy every season. But if humans are still here in 30-50 years, and assuming no civilisational collapse, it is absolutely guaranteed that this will not have happened.
Good job, you managed to shoehorn your 'Sheikh Mansour's plucky outsiders against the football elite line' in with your 'stop supporting Ukraine, you'll only provoke plucky outsider Uncle Vlad into nuking us all' line. Considerable lol.

totes. but this is what's contradicting your earlier statement. this is now the warmer upper for the season, not a competition where plucky little Tranmere can get to a final.

totes. but this is what's contradicting your earlier statement. this is now the warmer upper for the season, not a competition where plucky little Tranmere can get to a final.
Fair does, but I don't see the contradiction. It's Mickey Mouse until a media darling club wins it.

Good job, you managed to shoehorn your 'Sheikh Mansour's plucky outsiders against the football elite line' in with your 'stop supporting Ukraine, you'll only provoke plucky outsider Uncle Vlad into nuking us all' line. Considerable lol.
I've never called City plucky outsiders. I'd estimate that most City fans realise that unless you get the finance to compete then you simply won't compete. You only have to look at season after season and who wins what.

It seems to me that you are the one shoehorning Ukraine into this. The two subjects are not related in any way, and I've never referred to either the Shiekh or Putin outsiders. Although, and it doesn't belong in this thread, I suspect that much of what motivates Putin is his perception of himself as an outsider.

Back
Top Bottom