Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

There were some allegations against him that suggest he may not have been a "particularly nice person"

I hate the pile of shit.

Don't care if he was the nicest guy on the planet or not. He won pretty much everything, everywhere. Do you think he was quite a good footballer?

Sorry what. You don’t mind a rapist if he was a good footballer?

That's a good point, sure, forgot about that. But my point is Kompany was a fucking idiot to suggest that he was a lazy player. He's renowned as the hardest training player in any squad. He has no life. Just training.

That's a good point, sure, forgot about that. But my point is Kompany was a fucking idiot to suggest that he was a lazy player. He's renowned as the hardest training player in any squad. He has no life. Just training.

I don’t care for Kompany, who is happy to sing songs referncing Hillsborough.

But I don’t think many people feel Ronaldo has the legs anymore for 90 mins pressing. He just isn’t that type of player.

Not Gary Neville. Not Goldbridge. Not many people. He has reached the point where he is a problem more than a solution.

I don’t care for Kompany, who is happy to sing songs referncing Hillsborough.

But I don’t think many people feel Ronaldo has the legs anymore for 90 mins pressing. He just isn’t that type of player.

Not Gary Neville. Not Goldbridge. Not many people. He has reached the point where he is a problem more than a solution.

I totally agree. He should have retired after Juve.

I totally agree. He should have retired after Juve.

He should play for Sporting but lots of footballers do this weird thing where they want so much money they restrict their options so much. He doesn’t need it. Be interesting to see if he sees some sense and makes a decision just on football.

He should play for Sporting but lots of footballers do this weird thing where they want so much money they restrict their options so much. He doesn’t need it. Be interesting to see if he sees some sense and makes a decision just on football.

I don't think Ronaldo wants the money. He's got enough. He just genuinely has no other thing in his life than being a football player and let's face it, he's so unlikeable as a human I can't see him taking up a commentary career.

Wonder which brutal regime will taken them over? At least Elon musk has his attention elsewhere. There's that Jim Whatsisface I suppose.

Padding stats..lol. The guy has ruined his legacy which is a shame but you can not argue with his career. Dominated the game in two positions. The greatest of the modern game, no argument.
That's just it, there is an argument because there are two of them who have put up almost identical career stats and each has a claim to both the "greatest of the modern game" and the less-quantifiable "greatest of all time" labels.

What's not in doubt is that Ronaldo is ego-driven. When asked what record he'd like to take out of his career, his answer was "the most ballon d'ors", an individual award (incidentally Ronaldo 5, Messi 7).

Most impartial observers would have Messi ahead on the intangible factors; the 'get you out of your seat for doing unpredictable things' type and his ability to influence games outside of scoring goals. Ronaldo's counter-claim lies in the statistics, from the simple fact that he's scored more goals in league games, champions league games, club overall games, international games.

So yeah, stat-padding. Being remembered as the GOAT undoubtedly matters to Ronaldo, and if he puts another 30 goals on between now and the end of his career (regardless of what standard of league they're in) Messi as his 2 yr junior won't go past his final tally so his claim is still valid.

Ronaldo moved around and won wherever he went, was successful, and adapted his game. Messi didn't.

Yep. Messi's good. But one club (where he was successful anyway) and then a total flop when he was forced to spread his wings. And at least Ronaldo isn't an 'Ambassador (wtf does that even mean) for a fascist evil regime.

I think Ronaldo's only missing the Bundesliga from his conquests.

Yep. Messi's good. But one club (where he was successful anyway) and then a total flop when he was forced to spread his wings. And at least Ronaldo isn't an 'Ambassador (wtf does that even mean) for a fascist evil regime.

I think Ronaldo's only missing the Bundesliga from his conquests.
This is a touch disingenuous. Messi only won things because Barcelona were good anyway, as opposed to such plucky underdogs as Ferguson-era Man Utd, Real Madrid and Juventus. Messi is also still very, very good for PSG.

Messi is an ambassador for the Qatari regime, and Ronaldo has credible reports of sexual assault against him - as human beings go I don't think either are heading for sainthood so for the purposes of this discussion I'm going to stick to just football.

You might also notice that I'm not even arguing for Messi. Merely pointing out that the claim that Ronaldo is the undisputed greatest, end of discussion, no argument, is clearly a nonsense.

This is a touch disingenuous. Messi only won things because Barcelona were good anyway, as opposed to such plucky underdogs as Ferguson-era Man Utd, Real Madrid and Juventus. Messi is also still very, very good for PSG.

Messi is an ambassador for the Qatari regime, and Ronaldo has credible reports of sexual assault against him - as human beings go I don't think either are heading for sainthood so for the purposes of this discussion I'm going to stick to just football.

You might also notice that I'm not even arguing for Messi. Merely pointing out that the claim that Ronaldo is the undisputed greatest, end of discussion, no argument, is clearly a nonsense.

He's an Ambassador for Saudi Arabia, not Qatar. As for the 'GOAT' that's obvs subjective. I can only voice my opinion. He's a more complete player than Messi..

He's an Ambassador for Saudi Arabia, not Qatar. As for the 'GOAT' that's obvs subjective. I can only voice my opinion. He's a more complete player than Messi..
Ah my apologies, Saudi. Qatar in the news at the min, Freudian slip!

No argument that Ronaldo has been a brilliant player, one of the very best. Just as long as we can all agree that he's a cunt.

Ah my apologies, Saudi. Qatar in the news at the min, Freudian slip!

No argument that Ronaldo has been a brilliant player, one of the very best. Just as long as we can all agree that he's a cunt.

I don't know him personally. But if he is actually guilty of rape then obvs that puts his footballing talents into the shade. Was he ever found guilty? Or was it one of the settle out of court things.

This still makes me giggle. Imagine his reaction when it was unveiled.

t-bad-statues.jpg

I don't know him personally. But if he is actually guilty of rape then obvs that puts his footballing talents into the shade. Was he ever found guilty? Or was it one of the settle out of court things.

This still makes me giggle. Imagine his reaction when it was unveiled.

t-bad-statues.jpg
Twice accused, one out of court pay off, never charged, iirc. The first acuser withdrew the allegations, also iiirc.

Twice accused, one out of court pay off, never charged, iirc. The first acuser withdrew the allegations, also iiirc.
A questionnaire, purportedly between him and his lawyers, was part of the Football Leaks stuff which came out a while ago. If that is real then there isn't any doubt of his guilt.

I think he's a deeply unpleasant individual tbh.

A great day all round with the scousers losing too!
Good to have some spirit in the side and a proper manager. That said, the bench comparison was a bit scary - City just have ridiculous strength in depth.

The offside rule is seriously fucked if the first Manure goal was legal.
Beyond comprehension tbh . Man Utd did well to get back into the game after City’s second half start. However I’m afraid it’s decisions like these which Man Utd have unfairly or otherwise been associated with for years which cause a lot of people to dislike them .

😂😂😂 The goal rightfully stood according to the laws of the game. I don't agree with the law but it's there. So don't get all conspiracy on me- especially when we haven't won a trophy in years.
And "Manure" Good grief. How old are you.

😂😂😂 The goal rightfully stood according to the laws of the game. I don't agree with the law but it's there. So don't get all conspiracy on me- especially when we haven't won a trophy in years.
Must admit, I'm not convinced it should have stood even within the rules as they have been explained today. Rashford's position as the focus of that attack very likely had an impact on the keeper and defender's positions. I can though understand VAR not overturning it as a clear and obvious error. I'm not even sure it came under the remit of whatever VAR covers. So, erm. actually I don't know!

Totally. Rashford played it by the book, unambiguously legal goal. It's mainly about decisions made by VAR dragging things out and accentuating a sense of injustice.

I think that's the first United v City game I've seen for many years where I was pleased to see United win (and gave a little cheer that Rashford scored). Really enjoyable game (well the highlights anyway which is all that peasants like myself get).

Back
Top Bottom