Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man United 2021-24, 'Best of the Rest'

I’m by no means a United fan, but it’s got to the point now when I see shots on TV of the faces of United players in matches like today’s, and it feels cringeworthy rather than schadenfreudesque.

I’m by no means a United fan, but it’s got to the point now when I see shots on TV of the faces of United players in matches like today’s, and it feels cringeworthy rather than schadenfreudesque.
Very soon, plucky united will be everybody's 92nd favourite team. :thumbs:

I love how everyone on this thread seems to support another team... Still the biggest team in the country, even when we're rubbish 😎

Ten Haag has the worst record of any united manager. In fact, the joint worst record of any manager in any sport in the known universe.

My son is a United supporter ( nearly put him into care when he announced tbh) . His take is that the Glaziers take money out line whilst being an emotive rallying point misses the fact they’ve had money for transfers and that their recruitment strategy over the last decade has been appalling .

My son is a United supporter ( nearly put him into care when he announced tbh) . His take is that the Glaziers take money out line whilst being an emotive rallying point misses the fact they’ve had money for transfers and that their recruitment strategy over the last decade has been appalling .
At one level, the glazers leeching money out of the club isn't an excuse for players not doing a bit of, say, running and tackling. Same time, united do feel like some kind of Business Studies case study, where truly shit corporate management - at the board level and a couple of levels below - leads to a culture of shit. If joel glazer ever spoke to the fans, he'd come to the lectern and just say 'welcome to Ratners United'.

Christian Eriksen at Spurs regularly topped the distance covered chart and put in a huge pressing shift, despite playing as a 10 or inside forward. At Brentford he played like a man possessed, like he got a second chance at life and football all in one go.

For Man Utd so far he's ambled around looking as lost as the rest of them. There's something wrong with the club from top to bottom.

As a side note, James Garner was superb for Forest last season as a 6/8 Central midfielder. Yes that was the Championship, but surely an energetic, young, talented, keen to make a name for himself midfielder is precisely what Man Utd needs right now in the first team? Yet there he is, not playing and supposedly getting sold for 15m quid.

I fear your son hasn't quite grasped the whole situation. Glazers have put no money in of their own, saddled the club with hundreds of millions of debt, and take out money for themselves every year. That alone is scandalous for what should be a community asset.
They don't care about the football as long as money keeps coming in. And the club still makes money - same way it would if your son was running it - because it's arguably biggest football club in the world. So there's no money on the stadium, the facilities, scouting etc. and any proper football people are fucked off for flunkies. Hence the terrible transfer strategy, and general disregard for the football club bit of the business. But they'll take their money again this year all the same.

I fear your son hasn't quite grasped the whole situation. Glazers have put no money in of their own, saddled the club with hundreds of millions of debt, and take out money for themselves every year. That alone is scandalous for what should be a community asset.
They don't care about the football as long as money keeps coming in. And the club still makes money - same way it would if your son was running it - because it's arguably biggest football club in the world. So there's no money on the stadium, the facilities, scouting etc. and any proper football people are fucked off for flunkies. Hence the terrible transfer strategy, and general disregard for the football club bit of the business. But they'll take their money again this year all the same.
Thanks I’ll pass that onto my son

Man Utd never learn. Casemiro is a quality player and will undoubtedly help in the short term, but a 30yr old on a 5yr contract with massive, massive wages is going to be a financial millstone for years to come; whoever the manager is in 3 years time (not Ten Hag, and probably not even whoever follows him) will be crying out for a good holding midfielder only to be told that he needs to trim the wage bill first. How do you move on the likes of Casemiro then once his age means he's outlived his short term usefulness, knowing that he's sat there with 2 or 3 more years at those wages no-one else could or would pay?

Back
Top Bottom