Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lunch and Dinner or Dinner and Tea?

??

• Total voters
Little Stirling and its inhabitants could fit many times into the suburban-o-bubble that is Croydon alone

(((sub bubble Stirling)))

I agree that tea is a Northernism in the main. But it's declining as surely as the diversity of dialects. Which is why it's slightly humorous to see people get animated about protecting its use down in the South in particular. That's doomed to affected failure.

I call the evening meal 'tea' and I am none of those things :p

"Tea" is a northernism. I actually recall Brian Sewell bemoaning the use of the word instead of dinner. I can imagine the two of you together, agreeing. Like best friends.
That's exactly how I see Tara. I can imagine them eating pickled whelks from a market stall as if they did it every day, bemoaning, with their mangled diphthongs, the decline of the cockney culture they used to imbibe at their Bultlers' knee.

Blimey, you clearly don't know Sewell or me. I think his whelk eating days are long gone

I'll meet you down the pattie shop from some brown stew fish though Danny. I'm a typical London mongrel of many an influence, whilst old Sewell boasts received pronunciation as surely and affectedly as the average homesick Northerener keeps on moaning about 'tea' on plates.

I agree that tea is a Northernism in the main. But it's declining as surely as the diversity of dialects. Which is why it's slightly humorous to see people get animated about protecting its use down in the South in particular. That's doomed to affected failure.

I think you are affecting the humour. Your teethy guffaws are just to impress Brian.

Call it a hunch. He's a different tribe

His Sloaney pals sometimes refer to 'tea' though. It's a throwback to their boarding school days in the regions.

Call it a hunch. He's a different tribe

His Sloaney pals sometimes refer to 'tea' though. It's a throwback to their boarding school days in the regions.
No, you're thinking of afternoon tea, a different meal altogether. All cricket and old ladies and cucumber sandwiches.

They're part of the melting pot of London Danny, not Southern in the slightest.

I'm not angry in the slightest Kyser. More bemused that anyone can get so animated or insistent about the use of a declining and soon to be archaic term.

Nah. It's more like a good old pakora without the Scottish affectation.

Think more like a split pea mini-festival. That's a corn dumpling to you

Ah, this old chestnut.

It's blates dinner and tea. And if I go out in the evening for a meal, I say I'm going out for a meal (or a curry, or a chinese, etc.). The only time I go out for dinner is if I eat out somewhere around midday.

I find myself slipping into saying lunch sometimes because I mix with nobbers who say lunch, but I really do try to stick to dinner where at all possible.

They're part of the melting pot of London Danny, not Southern in the slightest.

I'm not angry in the slightest Kyser. More bemused that anyone can get so animated or insistent about the use of a declining and soon to be archaic term.

Completely bemused that people might gently remind you that they aren't frauds and weirdos because they refer to a particular meal in a particular way in the face of your repeated suggestions otherwise :D

What zealots we 'tea-sayers' are. Why don't we just chill out and agree with your ranting? :p

How can a corn dumpling be seen as Guardian food? It's as traditional and established an ethnic snack as samosas or bhajis

:D

There are frauds on here though Idaho. DLR and other yokels have special dispensation as stated.

It's those living amongst the normals in Southern civilisation that prattle on about the correctness of calling it 'tea' who deserve opprobrium.

Back
Top Bottom