Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lunch and Dinner or Dinner and Tea?

??

• Total voters
I grew up in Glasgow and for many years it was 'dinner & dinner'....this during primary & large part of secondary school. At home it was lunch and dinner. And a late meal/snack was supper which was around 9-10pm. Until I moved to England I had never heard dinner referred to as tea which I had always assumed to be a snack (sandwich or a piece of cake say) around 3.30-4pm.

And just to be clear breakfast was just breakfast and brunch hadn't been invented.

I grew up in Glasgow and for many years it was 'dinner & dinner'....this during primary & large part of secondary school. At home it was lunch and dinner. And a late meal/snack was supper which was around 9-10pm. Until I moved to England I had never heard dinner referred to as tea which I had always assumed to be a snack (sandwich or a piece of cake say) around 3.30-4pm.

And just to be clear breakfast was just breakfast and brunch hadn't been invented.
Kelvinside is different.

Look, us ethnics don't all look or write the same you know.

One second I'm Sewell, the next Ottolenghi. I'm beginning to wonder if you have some kind of personality disorder that affects perception.

Still, I salute you for your ability to stick up for affected, old terms like 'havers' and 'tea'

Maybe one day we can both take the final step and you can start writing your posts in the style of James Kelman and I can scribble in patois and street slang. Deal?

Race card.

Kelvinside is different.

Or pretty much the norm given the poll results and common usage in the bulk of Britain and the English speaking world.

I salute your continued attempts to preserve 'tea' as term used for the evening meal. It's quaint, but futile in the longer term. Why not get a head start and get with the majority? I'm just thinking of you Danny.

Give it a generation or two and your insistence that tea is the 'correct' way to describe the evening meal will leave a similar impression to an old duffer raging against the fact that 'gaily' now has different connotations. Not that folks won't understand, but it's as endearingly counter-intuitive as the Americans' use of 'entree' really.

You just luxuriate in your metrocentric cultural imperialism. Are you sure you have enough layers of Pashmina, daaaaahling?

We haven't had this one for a while.

As a child I said Dinner and Tea. Now I've joined the middle classes I have Lunch and Dinner.

You just luxuriate in your metrocentric cultural imperialism. Are you sure you have enough layers of Pashmina, daaaaahling?

No need to shoot the messenger guv. You may impotently bemoan the coming of the tide, but these weak insults are all you've got. I've never insisted anything other than there's a change underway, whilst you futilely rail that there's only one correct term for the evening meal. Poor Danny.

And besides, I bet you've far more expensive knitwear than I possess.

It's dinner and tea. Except when I'm going out to a restaurant/cafe for it, then it's dinner whichever time I'm eating it at.
I realise that this makes no sense written down, but people who I tend to go out and eat with use the same terminology. So it's obviously the accepted vernacular.

No one I actually know in real life from round here calls anything lunch. Though I have heard the use of brunch, for weekendy dinnertime breakfasty scoffing. Brinner's not caught on at all. :D

Lunch and supper.
Supper is eaten at home.
Dinner is eaten of an evening, but either at a friend's place or at a restaurant, ie manners required.
Tea is a drink.
High tea is sandwiches-with-the-crusts-cut-off and scones if you're an adult. Or fishfingers and mash given to those who aren't old enough to stay up late to eat when parents have friends round for dinner.
Easy, really.

Dinner and tea but sometimes I call evening meal dinner too.

My dad says 'lunch', he's Irish but spent too much time in the midlands (and trying to be posh).

Lunch and supper.
Supper is eaten at home.
Dinner is eaten of an evening, but either at a friend's place or at a restaurant, ie manners required.
Tea is a drink.
High tea is sandwiches-with-the-crusts-cut-off and scones if you're an adult. Or fishfingers and mash given to those who aren't old enough to stay up late to eat when parents have friends round for dinner.
Easy, really.

No No No! "Supper" is a horrible pretentious word. Never use it. Ever. Unless you are a character in a self-consciously middle-class sitcom. The evening meal is called Dinner.

Back
Top Bottom