Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lunch and Dinner or Dinner and Tea?

??

• Total voters
How is it pompous to call dinner and tea their most logical and often used names?
:D

Oh, I'll call this meal the name of a hot beverage because that's what Great Aunty Ethel said in the 1950's. That's that and there can be no changing of language, at all. I'm proud in sounding like an archaic type from a provincial boarding school.

So even when you get your KFC you call it dinner?

When I get a KFC I call it a takeaway, usually Danny. If it's in the evening it'll be a takeway dinner I guess, in the early afternoon a takeaway lunch or snack.

I certainly never go out for 'tea' at KFC. That's clearly wrong. Only old ladies go for tea at a fast food restaurant, and then they invariably go to Wimpy

Oh, I'll call this meal the name of a hot beverage because that's what Great Aunty Ethel said in the 1950's. That's that and there can be no changing of language, at all. I'm proud in sounding like an archaic type from a provincial boarding school.
In some places north of watford it's not just in the 50s that they called the evening meal tea ;)

I can confirm that I've never heard anyone outside of Britain call dinner 'tea,' unless they're putting on rustic airs and graces.

Not even the most Trevor McDonald sounding of caribbean types would be so daft and whilst I can't speak for every other colony, I reckon it's an isolated verbal affectation

My ex laughed at me for saying tea. :mad:

I don't think it's common in the South East, where the poshoes live.

I say it, and I'm from the South East. Although my mum is Scottish.

If you live where I thought you do - you should know that all sorts of people live in the South East.

They're in Britain though, aren't they Biddly?

Still, they should keep up with the times. Language changes and they don't want to be stuck calling a bicycle a penny farthing through a hidebound aversion to linguistic progress.

Lunch and dinner are clearly the common sense terms. Move with the times and stop taking pride in being archaic

Nothing about class to do with it. Only throwbacks and heritage types really insist on calling them dinner and tea, surely?

I know what they mean, but it's a funny little affectation, isn't it?

They're in Britain though, aren't they Biddly?

They are, but it isn't putting on rustic airs and graces if it's a colloquialism is it? :hmm:

(not sure if colloquialism is the right word here, but you know what I mean)

This is one of you're I AM RIGHT threads isn't it? :D

Lunch in the middle of the day, followed by tea, dinner and supper, depending on the time.
Tea is before seven, dinner between eight to ten thirty, eleven to midnight is supper.
"Be home for tea"
"Dinner's at nine"
"Be back for supper or they'll be trouble!"
Simple :)

Back
Top Bottom