Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

I was on an overheated eastbound 35 yesterday that descended into mild chaos after the driver announced at the town hall that it would be going via Herne hill. Then it proceeded to turn left do the whole circuit around by the skate park and so on which is when various people started demanding to be let off. I don't think the driver was having a good day at work.

Thanks. Seem to go via Brockwell Park
It's weird actually. Any car drivers with local knowledge - or a TomTom - will simply bypass the incident via Barrington Road and 50 metres of Loughborough Road (LJ end). If buses did that it would only cut out one bus stop on each side of Coldharbour Lane rather than the whole length of Coldharbour Lane. Instead of this as you say the 35, 45, 345 0 and even the P4 - are going via Morval Road, Dulwich Road and Herne Hill, Denmark Hill between Brixton and Camberwell. A detour of TWO MILES leaving no public transport for a mile round Loughboroiugh Junction (except Thameslink).

I don't think double decker buses would get under the bridge over Loughborough Rd.
Maybe so - Google maps was showing their own diversion route via Flodden Road of all places. I dare say the residents of Flodden Road would be happy TFL chose the long route via Herne Hill/Denmark Hill!

It's weird actually. Any car drivers with local knowledge - or a TomTom - will simply bypass the incident via Barrington Road and 50 metres of Loughborough Road (LJ end). If buses did that it would only cut out one bus stop on each side of Coldharbour Lane rather than the whole length of Coldharbour Lane. Instead of this as you say the 35, 45, 345 0 and even the P4 - are going via Morval Road, Dulwich Road and Herne Hill, Denmark Hill between Brixton and Camberwell. A detour of TWO MILES leaving no public transport for a mile round Loughboroiugh Junction (except Thameslink).
on top of the possible bridge height issue the turn into barrington road is very tight for an bar the shortest buses.

Does anyone know what's happened to the world's happiest lollipop man, who used to stand outside Loughborough Primary School? He has been substituted with a perfectly adequate but much less joyful replacement ...
I’m really missing him. Brightens every morning as I cycle past. I wondered to begin with whether he was off duty due to the roadworks, but I’ve seen the new guy twice now so I fear he’s gone.

We always wave to each other and say hello. Funny how you can feel so connected to someone. I never even learned his name!

I’m really missing him. Brightens every morning as I cycle past. I wondered to begin with whether he was off duty due to the roadworks, but I’ve seen the new guy twice now so I fear he’s gone.

We always wave to each other and say hello. Funny how you can feel so connected to someone. I never even learned his name!
Yeah, he was a legend along that road. Always a pleasure to cycle past him and shout back 'good morning'.

This snippet was in the Standard hard-copy on Thursday - but Googling seemed to show the same thing has been in various media since April.
So is the LJ Co-op getting any cheaper? And do you have to get a membership swipe card to get the reductions?
coop.jpg

So is the LJ Co-op getting any cheaper? And do you have to get a membership swipe card to get the reductions?

can't say for the LJ one, but I use other co-ops (depends which particular co-op group this one is part of - the three nearest where i live are all different) and basically, yes - you get the discounts applied when you scan your card (with some places there's an option to have the 'card' as an app on a smart phone) and it re-calculates the total at that stage (much the same as how clubcard / nectar card prices work in tesco / sainsburys)

This snippet was in the Standard hard-copy on Thursday - but Googling seemed to show the same thing has been in various media since April.
View attachment 392828

I've been a Coop member for years. Get points every time I shop. This discount prices for members is Coop following other big stores. Not sure I like this trend

I notice , for example, in Superdrug you only get discounts if you have loyalty card now. I used to look around Superdrug and buy discounted lines. Now to do this I need a loyalty card

Coop membership isn't meant to be a loyalty card. If you buy a certain amount each year you getting voting rights. It's not a worker coop . It's a consumer coop.

I think Coop should make it clearer that it's a Coop. And ask members more about how they want shops run. What they want for the shops

Just been to Coop shop. All fridges have failed. They all have not fit for human consumption stickers on them

Does anyone know what's happened to the world's happiest lollipop man, who used to stand outside Loughborough Primary School? He has been substituted with a perfectly adequate but much less joyful replacement ...
Spoke to the new chap this morning. He said all the lollipop people had been swapped around to different crossings over the summer, so at least it's nothing concerning. Still a bit sad though - any news of where he is now gratefully received.

Lift for LJ train station petition

Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) and the LJ Neighbourhood Forum calls on Network Rail, as a matter of urgency, to install a lift at Loughborough Junction station. The station is not currently accessible to wheelchair users, parents with children in buggies, and anyone with heavy luggage.

This is a busy and popular station as it offers a cross-London service, including to Luton airport, and is used by workers and patients at King's College Hospital. It is used by over 721,000 passengers a year; a number which will increase sharply with over 600 new homes planned. It is currently the 509th busiest station in Britain out of a total of over 2,500 stations and with one platform only one lift is needed.

Please sign this petition; we need to build momentum before National Rail opens its Access for All programme - when it decides which stations need to improve access - in spring 2024.

Lift for LJ train station petition

Loughborough Junction Action Group (LJAG) and the LJ Neighbourhood Forum calls on Network Rail, as a matter of urgency, to install a lift at Loughborough Junction station. The station is not currently accessible to wheelchair users, parents with children in buggies, and anyone with heavy luggage.

This is a busy and popular station as it offers a cross-London service, including to Luton airport, and is used by workers and patients at King's College Hospital. It is used by over 721,000 passengers a year; a number which will increase sharply with over 600 new homes planned. It is currently the 509th busiest station in Britain out of a total of over 2,500 stations and with one platform only one lift is needed.

Please sign this petition; we need to build momentum before National Rail opens its Access for All programme - when it decides which stations need to improve access - in spring 2024.
Signed! Those stairs kill me every time. There's a perfect spot for lifts right where the shutters are at the bottom of the stairs.

Below is from an email circular for Whirled Cinema members.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every week of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

It's a friendly place, there's a bar and you don't have to sit through any adverts before the film starts.

Use it or lose it! It's really been struggling to get people through the doors since covid.

We are writing to you with an appeal regarding the future of Whirled Cinema.

As you may know, the cinema industry has faced unprecedented challenges over the past couple of years due to the economic downturn caused by the global pandemic.

Whirled Cinema, much like countless other businesses, has not been immune to these challenges.

The Whirled Cinema in Loughborough Junction has always thrived on the vibrant energy and support of its dedicated community members, and it is in this spirit that we reach out to you today.

Our mission has been to create a space where film enthusiasts and artists alike can come together to enjoy thought-provoking, entertaining, and culturally enriching cinematic experiences. However, the combination of lockdowns, restrictions, and economic uncertainty has cast a shadow over our ability to continue delivering on this promise.

Membership, which has always been the backbone of our community, has unfortunately taken a hit. We have lost three quarters (from peak) of our membership which has resulted in the cinema running at a loss since the pandemic hit.

Despite our best efforts to adapt to the changing circumstances, the financial strain has been considerable.

In this challenging time, we are turning to our cherished Whirled Cinema community for support. Your contributions have the power to make a real difference in ensuring that Whirled Cinema not only survives but continues to thrive and we are at a critical point. There are a few ways in which you can help:

1. Spread the Word: Share your love for Whirled Cinema with friends, family, and colleagues. Your word-of-mouth endorsements can introduce new audiences to our space and help bolster our attendance.

2. Membership Renewals: For those whose memberships have lapsed or are up for renewal, we kindly urge you to consider renewing. Your ongoing membership will be a testament to your commitment to the cinema and its community.

3. Purchase a gift membership: Get a gift membership. A Whirled Gift Membership is for all year round, not just for Xmas and goes a long way to supporting our cinema.

4. Volunteer Assistance: If you have skills or expertise that could be of assistance to the cinema, whether in marketing, event planning, or any other relevant area, we welcome your support.

5. Monetary Donations: If you are in a position to do so, your financial support can provide a lifeline for the cinema. Even a small donation can go a long way in helping us cover operational costs, maintain our unique programming, and keep the cinematic experience alive.

We understand that times are tough for people and with the cost-of-living crisis everyone has to be more mindful than ever but it worth noting that our membership model still represents excellent value for money, and any contribution you can make, be it financial or otherwise, is deeply appreciated.

If you’d like to discuss further, please email Mike@whirledcinema.com

Last edited:
There seems to be constant and completely blatant shoplifting going on in the LJ Co-op just now. Whenever there's no security on the door. Several times I've been in there the last couple of weeks. In with a bag, shovel stuff off the shelves, ignore the staff's requests to stop, and out again no big hurry.

On 5 March 2023, Co-op security guard lost a pint of blood after he was slashed with a 6-inch kitchen knife while trying to stop a shoplifter stealing alcohol (assuming this is the branch in question):

Brixton Co-op security guard loses pint of blood after female shoplifter slashes him with 6-inch kitchen knife

1_01LD215021_Sparman_Suzanne-2.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Susan Sparman has 134 convictions for 219 offences. Hopefully, Handy Dembele is making some progress towards recovery after the attack.

Back
Top Bottom