Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Higgs Development, Loughborough Junction (2019 design)

There are some things happening on site - not sure what exactly.

I also noticed a planning application for an amendment went in recently. So it may be that things are going to start getting built soon.

There's always a security presence of some sort on that site as I think they've had travellers there a couple of times.

The hoarding has been replaced but also a portion of the site, alongside the main railway viaduct, has been cleared.

Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 17.49.39.jpg

There is a fulsome eulogy to the late recently departed Lord Kerslake in Inside Housing

No point in me complaining to HIM about the monstrous carbuncle rising above the roof of the former grain store corner of Coldharbour Lane and Shakespeare Road.
There is marketing material on the net - but is seems barely developed. Like it quote the figure of 130 in both the shared ownership and the outright sale bits.
The planning permission says 134 BTW.
If the tower is offices it will be in direct competition with the Hondo Tower (should that see the light of day).
Will try to remember to append photos. The construction is particularly nauseating from platform 2 of Loughborough Junction station.

There is a fulsome eulogy to the late recently departed Lord Kerslake in Inside Housing

No point in me complaining to HIM about the monstrous carbuncle rising above the roof of the former grain store corner of Coldharbour Lane and Shakespeare Road.
There is marketing material on the net - but is seems barely developed. Like it quote the figure of 130 in both the shared ownership and the outright sale bits.
The planning permission says 134 BTW.
If the tower is offices it will be in direct competition with the Hondo Tower (should that see the light of day).
Will try to remember to append photos. The construction is particularly nauseating from platform 2 of Loughborough Junction station.
Coldharbour Lane and Herne Hill Road, surely ?

It's quite visible looming over the old grain store, on the junction with Shakespeare Rd, when you approach LJ along coldharbour lane from the west.
In the winter with the tree foliage gone it'll be even more so.

Reactions: CH1
Coldharbour Lane and Herne Hill Road, surely ?
When I wrote this I said rising out of the roof of 245 Coldharbour Lane, which is exactly what I meant. If you look carefully it actually says Shakespeare Road on the wall!
Look here mate!
carbuncle5-2k.jpg

And here is the view from Loughborough Junction Platform 2
view from platform1-sk.jpg

And for good measure just look at how the streetscape is f*cked. A bit like New York or Philadelphia perhaps - row houses hemmed in by a carbuncle!
carbuncle1-2k.jpg

This is now de facto Lambeth planning policy I'm afraid: this kind of complete mismatch of scale is deemed acceptable.

Be prepared for more of it.

Here's how it looks now from the Camberwell direction.

View attachment 382571View attachment 382570
Dreadful. Funnily enough AFAIK that side isn't a conservation area though - unlike my views from Conservation area no 27 - Loughborough Park. But then me complaining about interfering with the views in a conservation area is rather like what was said about the proposed Cressingham Gardens (re)development. Cressingham seems to have stalled over lack of money and council officers rather than aesthetics though.

From my bit of CHL, now scaffolding is coming down, I don't know how planners thought this would have negligible effect on the mainly Victorian low level street scale.

It would not matter so much if it was outstanding design. But it's just big standard cram them in London design.

Btw the amenity space is minimal. As developers say they public garden space in area means they didn't have to give more than the measly amount they are required by planning. And this from a so called social housing provider.

One bedroom flat starts at £460,000. Curious why access to Farringdon is seen as a stand-out marketing reference.

1715250395529.png

Farringdon gets you into the city/Clerkenwell and connects with the tube but is also the interchange for the Elizabeth Line. The Thameslink/Elizabeth Line combination is now a rather handy one, starting from LJ. You can get to a lot of places quite quickly.

Personally I'd highlight Blackfriars as the central London station because it's (at least in the summer) always a pleasure to arrive/wait there, and means the south bank is within 10 minutes reach.

Farringdon gets you into the city/Clerkenwell and connects with the tube but is also the interchange for the Elizabeth Line. The Thameslink/Elizabeth Line combination is now a rather handy one, starting from LJ. You can get to a lot of places quite quickly.

Personally I'd highlight Blackfriars as the central London station because it's (at least in the summer) always a pleasure to arrive/wait there, and means the south bank is within 10 minutes reach.a

Personally I'd highlight Blackfriars as the central London station because it's (at least in the summer) always a pleasure to arrive/wait there, and means the south bank is within 10 minutes reach.
Agree regarding Farringdon. It's the Elizabeth Line which has transformed East-West travel, particularly for the Thameslink line and specifically LJ. Timed right, you can get from west end/Soho to LJ in under half an hour and an hour to Heathrow.

Last edited:
Agree regarding Farringdon. It' the Elizabeth Line which has transformed East-West travel, particularly for the Thameslink line and specifically LJ. Timed right, you can get from west end/Soho to LJ in under half an hour and an hour to Heathrow.
Assuming you can get on the train in rush hour, and you're not in a wheelchair or with a pram.

Assuming you can get on the train in rush hour, and you're not in a wheelchair or with a pram.
I've also assumed that there's no industrial action, that it's not a bank holiday service, that it's not a Christmas Day service of no trains, that the persona passenger doesn't have a dog on a lead and that there are no delays. But taking out all those assumptions, the timings stand up under scrutiny.

I've also assumed that there's no industrial action, that it's not a bank holiday service, that it's not a Christmas Day service of no trains, that the persona passenger doesn't have a dog on a lead and that there are no delays. But taking out all those assumptions, the timings stand up under scrutiny.
The developers should have been compelled to pay for improvements to the station if they're going to advertise it as some sort of dream location for commuters.

Curious to ask the Higgs Yard estate people to explain how it is possible to get from LJ to Vauxhall station in 5 mins, as the purple hoardings on Herne Hill Road literally claim
I wonder if someone has done an inadvertent copy&paste from the marketing for another site...

Reactions: CH1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom