Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Been leafleting outside station.

Number that have signed it is over 1000 now.

Trying to get to 1500.

Been getting a positive response from leafleting
How would it be possible to do though. The only place for it would be the bit at the bottom of the stairs. How would that work with passengers going passed all day
At least Streatham have two lots of stairs. They were able to close one side at a time.

Would it be via the coffee shop?
Maybe from closing the ticket office?

Last edited:
How would it be possible to do though. The only place for it would be the bit at the bottom of the stairs. How would that work with passengers going passed all day
At least Streatham have two lots of stairs. They were able to close one side at a time.

It's up to them to work out a way.

Good points. What are in the arches behind the ticket office? This needs the eye of a surveyor.

Going by historic and modern maps, the only viable location in the short term is opposite the foot of the stairs. This means effectively excavating the shaft in what looks like solid masonry.
Anything else would mean rebuilding/redesigning the station . For example, there's enough width in the platform for the stairs and lift to be side by side, but that would mean rebuilding the stairs and therefore the platform-level building.

Ultimately, the station requires that level of intervention. It's far too small as is and will only get worse as the new developments complete.

1710947233644.png

Any lift would have to come up in the central platform. If it were at the bottom of the existing stairs it would have to be immediately opposite the bottom of the stairs. I don't know if there's actually space there.

With all of the arches further along the platform, aside from the question of what they are currently used for, there's the matter of getting to them. The sides of the viaduct are not easily accessible, until you get right down to the end of Rathgar Rd, which is where the station entrance originally was (and it served all the no-longer existing side platforms too).

Really there could have been more forward planning, and the station entrance moved to the bit at the back of the Higgs site, and done along with that development.

There's still the Sureways site. Whenever that gets redeveloped, there could be a chance to use the portion of it next to the viaduct to create a new entrance (that could then be directly accessed from Coldharbour Lane).

None of them are named as far as I can see. And most look abandoned . There's a lot of junk behind the station
The hard but most logical way to make a lift shaft would be through the roof of the next possible disused arch to the right of the station. Is that recording studio place still working? And does the freehold belong to Network Rail or the Arches company?
lj for lift.jpg
Note there is a gap between the up and down platforms upstairs opposite the old ticket office/sometime coffee shop - but possibly this gap corresponds to the pavement and road space of Coldharbour Lane? There seem to be heavy duty structural girder there supporting the bridge - so maybe not!

There's still the Sureways site.
Exactly what I was about to type. Knock down the church and have a proper station entrance on the South side of the road. First arch with a lift in it, the second with a wide staircase.

The hard but most logical way to make a lift shaft would be through the roof of the next possible disused arch to the right of the station. Is that recording studio place still working? And does the freehold belong to Network Rail or the Arches company?
As you can see in the historic map, the second arch has got the stairs in it, and the third has got the ticket office above. So it's that third arch you'd need to get to, about 20m down the alleyway.

In terms of ownership, Network rail owns the freehold to the ~3.5m strip/alleyway down each side of most railway viaducts. No idea about the lease on the covered bit that you'd need to get through. Might be part of the arches, or it might be part of no.208 CHL. I bet it's messy.

Exactly what I was about to type. Knock down the church and have a proper station entrance on the South side of the road. First arch with a lift in it, the second with a wide staircase.
And another thing (since there are constant complaints of overcrowding in the rush hour) Why do they run 10 carriage trains for such exotic destinations as Clock House - and jam packed 8 carriage trains on the Sutton Loop then?

And another thing (since there are constant complaints of overcrowding in the rush hour) Why do they run 10 carriage trains for such exotic destinations as Clock House - and jam packed 8 carriage trains on the Sutton Loop then?
(It's 12 car to other destinations btw)
Platforms on the Loop stations aren't long enough and nearly all would be very painful to extend as they're in cuttings or on viaducts. Tulse Hill for example is sandwiched between Norwood and Thurlow Park roads, with 160m platforms. to extend them to 240m would mean building out over either road.

• Wow
Reactions: CH1
As you can see in the historic map, the second arch has got the stairs in it, and the third has got the ticket office above. So it's that third arch you'd need to get to, about 20m down the alleyway.

In terms of ownership, Network rail owns the freehold to the ~3.5m strip/alleyway down each side of most railway viaducts. No idea about the lease on the covered bit that you'd need to get through. Might be part of the arches, or it might be part of no.208 CHL. I bet it's messy.

Yup, it’s messy. Land registry says that all the arches and the land as you say down each side owned by network rail and is leased to ArchCo (spit); there are also a number of sub and under leases that I don’t have time to work out just now, and presumably some leases/lets granted by archco too. But main thing is ArchCo have the head lease for 150 years, so they’d have to allow any use of the alley/arches for a lift and access to a lift (depending of course on the position of the lease if any granted to the recording studio, and any other sub-lessees impacted.

I don’t know if Network Rail have a force majeur clause in their lease that allows them to force ArchCo’s hand in the event of infrastructure requirements like this. They might. Don’t know what conditions might have to be met of course.

I noticed that the last couple of days as I've cycled past. The hoarding is nicely tagged though. Was it ever resolved what would replace it?
There's supposed to be some sort of replacement bar included in the tower block, but I'll believe that when I see it,

I noticed that the last couple of days as I've cycled past. The hoarding is nicely tagged though. Was it ever resolved what would replace it?

I'm not sure what the developer is up to. Planning permission was given for a tower block of flats.

BTW this counters this forums free market libertarian Tulster218 view that nimbys stop well meaning private enterprise from moving ahead and solving the housing crisis.

The developer has had permission to build for quite some time. And done nothing. Tulstar has me on ignore but perhaps someone else could ask them about this example that contradicts their Ayn Rand politics they go on at length here.

Latest I heard on grapevine is that the agreed permission had one staircase.

Now post Grenfell two staircases are preferred.

So it would be difficult to build and sell flats in development with one staircase. Even though permission was given before the two staircase requirement. It might be difficult for people to get lenders to give them mortgage on such a property.

So developer might have to go back and redesign.

Another problem for developer is that site has a small footprint so not sure how two staircases would fit.

Last edited:
The Hero of Switzerland was a nice looking pub on inside. Lovely looking bar. Shame to see it all in a skip.

It was a proper old school boozer. Not expensive either. Had some good drinks there.

Oh well at least LJ is going to get more coffee bars to improve it now. :thumbs: :rolleyes:

I'm putting this here as I think this is more LJ than Brixton.
Feudalism 2024 style. A flat in Kenyon Mansions - a shabby 1890s block - which has recently had a penthouse storey added.
The flat on offer is being sold tenanted. Clearly overcrowded family occupation bringing in £380 per week.
Yet it didn't sell at auction. Guide price was £250,000, but apparently no-one wants to buy a flat yielding 7.92%?

The London auction market seems a bit soft to me at present - as a casual observer.
NB I was startled to see this flat is in easy reach of Normand Park - in Hammersmith!! Auctioneers - too much cutting and pasting going on here.
Kenyon.jpg

Back
Top Bottom