Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loughborough Junction chitter-chatter

Ok this is either a great idea. Or I'm about to make myself sound very stupid. I'm acceptable to either. 🤣
I've just REALLY struggled to get down the stairs at Loughborough Junction station. My arthritic knees are killing me today.
If there's going to be no chance of lifts being fitted. Would a ramp instead of the stairs work?
Works brilliantly for East Croydon station?
And they'd only need to close the station for a relatively short time I would think.
I can't think of a single reason this wouldn't work. But I'm sure flaws in that idea are about to be pointed out to me. 😆

Ok this is either a great idea. Or I'm about to make myself sound very stupid. I'm acceptable to either. 🤣
I've just REALLY struggled to get down the stairs at Loughborough Junction station. My arthritic knees are killing me today.
If there's going to be no chance of lifts being fitted. Would a ramp instead of the stairs work?
Works brilliantly for East Croydon station?
And they'd only need to close the station for a relatively short time I would think.
I can't think of a single reason this wouldn't work. But I'm sure flaws in that idea are about to be pointed out to me. 😆
It would have to be a very long ramp to ensure that the gradient wouldn't be dangerously steep.

It would have to be a very long ramp to ensure that the gradient wouldn't be dangerously steep.
Yes I thought that might be an issue. But, possibly could remove the coffee shop at the top of the stairs to extend the length of the ramp maybe?

It's about 7m from ground level to the platform. A continuous 1:20 ramp (as per building regs) to climb 7m would be 140m long, which is this long:

1715005179705.png

The ramps at East Croydon predate modern regs and are too steep for wheelchairs.

Lately I've been using Loughborough Junction more than usual, at not-quite peak times, and I always wonder what it's like when it's busier, getting everyone through that single ticket gate.

But maybe that's as busy as it gets?

Lately I've been using Loughborough Junction more than usual, at not-quite peak times, and I always wonder what it's like when it's busier, getting everyone through that single ticket gate.

But maybe that's as busy as it gets?
It's busiest around 8-8.30am I'd say, during which time the trains are very full and sometimes it's not possible to get on. So the main bottleneck in the mornings is getting from the platform to the train.

In the evenings when there are a lot of people exiting the station, there can be a bit of a queue to get out through the ticket gates; the queue will extend up the stairs sometimes.

Not sure if this LJ or Brixton or both. Visited Spanners music space on Ridgway Rd for an intimate music gig.
Good sound, beer and vibe. They do DJ nights but not sure how that works, it's tiny !
I was in here last night for a club night. In lots of ways it's a nice set-up they've got but like so many of these places they rammed it with too many people - I expect probably well over their official capacity. The result of this is a lot of spill-over to the area outside and also, because they only have one toilet (for what was probably a couple of hundred people) there were loads of people urinating up and down the street. Was wondering if residents of the Loughborough estate and/or those who come to work in the other arches on a Monday morning get fed up with this.
Also, it seems like they basically have no ventilation system at all so it got quite unbearably hot inside at various points.

It's good in principle to have places like this in LJ ... However, I imagine someone somewhere makes quite a bit of cash out of these nights - and seemingly gets away with running things on the cheap and not sorting the facilities out properly.

I was in here last night for a club night. In lots of ways it's a nice set-up they've got but like so many of these places they rammed it with too many people - I expect probably well over their official capacity. The result of this is a lot of spill-over to the area outside and also, because they only have one toilet (for what was probably a couple of hundred people) there were loads of people urinating up and down the street. Was wondering if residents of the Loughborough estate and/or those who come to work in the other arches on a Monday morning get fed up with this.
Also, it seems like they basically have no ventilation system at all so it got quite unbearably hot inside at various points.

It's good in principle to have places like this in LJ ... However, I imagine someone somewhere makes quite a bit of cash out of these nights - and seemingly gets away with running things on the cheap and not sorting the facilities out properly.
Despite really liking Bodyhammer and the proximity of the location, these are the reasons I'm yet to go to one at Spanners.

Despite really liking Bodyhammer and the proximity of the location, these are the reasons I'm yet to go to one at Spanners.
Yeah, it was Bodyhammer last night as you probably know. They need a bigger venue (or to sell fewer tickets).

Yeah, it was Bodyhammer last night as you probably know. They need a bigger venue (or to sell fewer tickets).
They had a night at Corsica last summer, just one of the rooms, the bar and outside and it was empty. So I think finding the right size venue for them is difficult. Although I went with Orang Utan to World Unknown in Brixton and their venue was really good and probably the right size.

They had a night at Corsica last summer, just one of the rooms, the bar and outside and it was empty. So I think finding the right size venue for them is difficult. Although I went with Orang Utan to World Unknown in Brixton and their venue was really good and probably the right size.
I went to a WU last year, it was in the place on Barrington Rd that used to be called Meduza(?) some time ago ... and it was rather empty. I guess it's always difficult to find the right size place. However, you do have a choice about how many tickets you sell.

I went to a WU last year, it was in the place on Barrington Rd that used to be called Meduza(?) some time ago ... and it was rather empty. I guess it's always difficult to find the right size place. However, you do have a choice about how many tickets you sell.
Yes. The WU was quite empty but maybe because BH have had so many nights in Brixton now, they could fill it.
Who knows.

Was woken at 3.30am this morning to the sound of five fire engines outside. And my daughter's bedroom full of black smoke.
A flat was on fire two floors below me.
Quite scary. Can still feel the smoke in my throat now. 😬

That must have been terrifying. Glad you are ok.

I saw in the agenda for the last LJAG meeting that LJAG were considering objecting to Friendship Adventure Brewery's application to use the courtyard of the 245 Coldharbour Lane complex as an outdoor drinking/smoking area.
There had been similar objections a couple of years back - there are residential flats/maisonettes adjoining on Shakespeare Road. In any event seems that there is now a change of management at the bar.

Seems like this is possibly to so with solvency issues at Friendship Adventure (not yet resolved).
There are documents on the Companies House website from proposed administrators. I won't post these - having been through this process myself as a finance officer. It's humiliating - and could be a hangover from Covid anyway.

Not sure of the effect on the Friendship Adventure bars in Coldharbour Lane, or Brixton Villaage.
Maybe they will be angling for a younger crowd. But how much ale-drinking young crowd is still living in Brixton?
The price-point on the Brixton Buzz photo - which may well be from the Supercute in the Villaage - is £6 - £7 a pint.
On a par with Bread & Roses Clapham - but twice the price of the Beehive!
supercute-beer-05.jpg

Why do they have such a bad name
If you mean Supercute - it's perhaps to blend in with the ambience of the Villaage?
In any case the director is also the director of
1718313125597.png
Is this turning into a more chichi chain than Antic?

I saw in the agenda for the last LJAG meeting that LJAG were considering objecting to Friendship Adventure Brewery's application to use the courtyard of the 245 Coldharbour Lane complex as an outdoor drinking/smoking area.
There had been similar objections a couple of years back - there are residential flats/maisonettes adjoining on Shakespeare Road. In any event seems that there is now a change of management at the bar.

Seems like this is possibly to so with solvency issues at Friendship Adventure (not yet resolved).
There are documents on the Companies House website from proposed administrators. I won't post these - having been through this process myself as a finance officer. It's humiliating - and could be a hangover from Covid anyway.

Not sure of the effect on the Friendship Adventure bars in Coldharbour Lane, or Brixton Villaage.
Maybe they will be angling for a younger crowd. But how much ale-drinking young crowd is still living in Brixton?
The price-point on the Brixton Buzz photo - which may well be from the Supercute in the Villaage - is £6 - £7 a pint.
View attachment 428768

I've looked into this.

There is change of ownership so standard application to change the designated supervisor. Which only police can object to was told by officer.

License conditions remain the same.

I don't see any new application to vary licence

Friendship brewery tried to get courtyard use. But not allowed. Also they did not rent the courtyard so as far as licensing were concerned didn't have access to it.

Nevertheless licensing committee put in condition that courtyard is only for disabled access.

View attachment 428768

The other thing about this site is that is that this building is a KIBA site.

Protected as a site for business. Not entertainment.

Licensing is separate from planning. That is another issue

In planning terms the use by Friendship brewery was allowed on this KIBA site as the taproom was ancillary to the main business , allowed on KIBA site , of brewing.

So I'm somewhat concerned by what is reported in Brixton Buzz.

Supercute brewhouse and taproom will be announcing a number of new weekly and monthly events including screening of Euros 24, live music, DJ residencies

Need to have a look at the original license. But seems to me that they want more. Unless they are going to use temporary licenses.

The other thing about this site is that is that this building is a KIBA site.
Protected as a site for business. Not entertainment.

Licensing is separate from planning. That is another issue
In planning terms the use by Friendship brewery was allowed on this KIBA site as the taproom was ancillary to the main business , allowed on KIBA site , of brewing.

So I'm somewhat concerned by what is reported in Brixton Buzz.
Well yes - I reckon this has the potential to go the way of "The Warrior"
1718527774736.png
The above photo (from Buzz) shows what the Warrior pub (now Tesco Express) became after it was taken over by the all night disco crowd.
It had had brewing equipment inside - like Friendship Adventure - but this was apparently stripped out and turned into a dance floor.

We don't know if SuperCute will brew real alle - or their customers will drink it.
It does appear however that this takeover was probably a "friendly" takeover because Friendship Adventure was going into administration.

see From The Warrior to Foxtons and a supermarket: a depressing Brixton vision

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 16.55.20.jpg

Spotted on corner of Wellfit St / Hinton Rd...

Graffiti spray painters in hi-vis gear (they were spraying the green stuff on top of the black & white stuff that's been there for a little while) doing their stuff in broad daylight.

I don't know if that means it's officially sanctioned, or they just know that the hi-vis vests make it look like it is.

This of course is the site of LJ's next sky-scraper, currently under consideration for planning permission.

Back
Top Bottom